Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Banned
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i called my dealer to ask if any oil was going to be removed for the shift shaft replacement, he said a little. i told him i run it with full synthetic ever since 350 miles. he told me this bike is not built to run on syn, and to switch to a petroleum based oil, that I would be much happier with it. was he on drugs or am i doing something wrong. got 5700 miles now and no problems whatsoever . told me i would need to get that full synthetic out asap

·
Registered
610 Posts
He most likely found out his wife was sleeping with the neighbor this morn and was taking it out on you.;)

·
Banned
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my father had an fz1, ever since his first oil change he used mobil 1 10w40 full sun. napa gold 1358 filter. had 50k miles not 1 problem just regular maintenance. I suspect if any oil does drain they will top it off with conventional. does synthetic and conventional go together good?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Sure, a modern engine is "not designed for synthetic oil"... seriously, WTF are these idiots talking about? If a brand new, high-performance engine from a Japanese engine designer isn't going to work with synthetic oil then tell me why is there even a market for synthetic oil!? I guess the Amsoil MX/SX/Snowcross teams better change or they'll blow up their engines...

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Moron. Insist that he use your preferred syn oil. I would carry it over there and ask for the unused and used bottles. In fact, I would tell them not to put any oil back in and put it in myself, and tell them not to start or ride the bike after the work was complete, and people wonder why I will not use a dealer service department even if I have to pay for parts that are covered under warranty.

·
Banned
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok i will keep using the same oil, the guy is clearly crazy. is it ok for me to ask for the shift shaft back that took out?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I guess I should take back this Mobile 1 Racing 4T oil I got in bulk....... :cool:
Wait man, STOP! Don't do that. You don't want people laughing at you when they find out you were actually thinking about using that oil in your motorcycle. Really? What were you thinking?! hahaha

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Since it was a warranty repair, they will have to keep it in case they are audited by Yamaha. Just ask to see it.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Doug just told you how. Ask to see it. I am surprised that those guys would say something like that. When I took my rc51 there to get the PR3's put on, they seemed to have a decent knowledge of motorcycles. PS- My buddy is picking up his 2015 R1 from there today and we are going riding tonight!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
You're braver than I am...letting a dealership touch your bike. Also, if it's "not built to run synthetic", then that would imply that it "is built to run dinosaur oil". What I want to know then, is exactly how in the f* an engine "is built to run dinosaur oil"...would you mind asking him that for me please? :cool:

1 - 20 of 89 Posts