Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Forgive me if this is a common thing, but what exactly are "switchback accents" ?
It's the small LEDs thats beside your headlight, some people call them parking lights.

Awesome. I requested this the other day :) Way to go!

Are you considering making an indicator stalk removal service, or maybe produce your own part that would replace the headlight fairing with one without the indicator stalks?

·
Vendor
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's the small LEDs thats beside your headlight, some people call them parking lights.

Awesome. I requested this the other day :) Way to go!

Are you considering making an indicator stalk removal service, or maybe produce your own part that would replace the headlight fairing with one without the indicator stalks?

We haven't considered making anything to replace the signal stalks however it may be possible to shave down this area and install a block off piece to make it shorter.

·
Registered
190 Posts
We haven't considered making anything to replace the signal stalks however it may be possible to shave down this area and install a block off piece to make it shorter.
I'll probably cut it down with a dremel and fill it with some filler and paint it, but I'd rather pay for a solution since my workshop time is pretty limited. The OEM fairings are pretty expensive, so if you screw up it's wasted money too.

·
Registered
580 Posts
The "running lights" are not connected to the turn signals. So I assume you are producing these to replace the stock turn signal bulbs? Are not yellow running lights more visible (better) than white? Interested to know the benefit here, or is it purely personal preference/ashthtics?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Like this?
Exactly like that, yes. Did you retrofit something? Where are your indicators? :)

The "running lights" are not connected to the turn signals. So I assume you are producing these to replace the stock turn signal bulbs? Are not yellow running lights more visible (better) than white? Interested to know the benefit here, or is it purely personal preference/ashthtics?
European bikes doesn't have amber running lights. I'd prefer to remove the indicators and have everything integrated into my headlight / air scoops. I think the smoothest solution would be in the headlight. I've seen LEDs on the market that might fit, you just need move some wiring and get a new socket that has connections for both the accent light and indicator, or wire it in such a way that it gets constant power from the blinker relay somehow, and switches over when relay kicks in.

·
Vendor
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Switchbacks would be an added look for what I was thinking because of how small they are and how close they are to the headlight, however there are other options for signals. Faux intake signals and/or running/signals. I would make these function as white running lights and amber turn signals. This requires some different methods but can be done. This would give owners white running lights for added visibility "being seen" and will compliment the front of the bike to be all white until your signals are activated. This contrast in white/amber will display better to drivers because it's not the same on both sides. The way I see this is the eye is attracted to something that is different and obvious not something that is the same as the opposite side and just flashes.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Exactly like that, yes. Did you retrofit something? Where are your indicators? :)
I cut out the factory stalks with a dremel. I then cut the factory stalks into little pieces (abs plastic) and mixed them with acetone in a small glass jar. Next I created a 'mold' where the holes in the original shrouds were and 'poured' the abs/acetone mixture into the mold. I used some non-hardening clay to create the molds. The abs/acetone mixture will set up overnight and then its just sanding/pin hole filling/sanding/prime/paint and you have smooth shrouds for the headlight.

I'm using aftermarket mirrors with LED indicators built in.

I really like the idea of supplementing the mirror blinkers with Tripage's switchbacks. Tripage - what will the color of the running lights be? I'd rather be in the white range (i.e. a match to the LED main bulb), than the warmer yellow color. Will that be an option for these?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Now THAT looks good! That combined with a possible piece to replace the stock turn signals would be an awesome package to sell.

·
Vendor
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What is wrong with some of these threads? Shows someone replied to this thread and I come on here to view it and I can't go to the 2 or 3 or last page. Is this happening to others?

·
Registered
190 Posts
What is wrong with some of these threads? Shows someone replied to this thread and I come on here to view it and I can't go to the 2 or 3 or last page. Is this happening to others?
Nope

I cut out the factory stalks with a dremel. I then cut the factory stalks into little pieces (abs plastic) and mixed them with acetone in a small glass jar. Next I created a 'mold' where the holes in the original shrouds were and 'poured' the abs/acetone mixture into the mold. I used some non-hardening clay to create the molds. The abs/acetone mixture will set up overnight and then its just sanding/pin hole filling/sanding/prime/paint and you have smooth shrouds for the headlight.

I'm using aftermarket mirrors with LED indicators built in.

I really like the idea of supplementing the mirror blinkers with Tripage's switchbacks. Tripage - what will the color of the running lights be? I'd rather be in the white range (i.e. a match to the LED main bulb), than the warmer yellow color. Will that be an option for these?
Cheers mate.
How much acetone did you use or doesn't it really matter when the acetone evaporates? Got any color code for the paint? Thanks.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I couldn't see the second page last night, but I can today. Weird... I did have a question for you in post #11. Trip - if you want us to move the discussion about the stalks to a new thread, just say the word.

Cheers mate.
How much acetone did you use or doesn't it really matter when the acetone evaporates? Got any color code for the paint? Thanks.
I just used some generic semi-gloss black I got from Lowes.

I don't think the quantity matters - enough to melt the stock pieces. see picture of mixture...

IMG_1960rot.jpg

·
Registered
364 Posts
I would like to have a solution that use either a large bright switchback LED or an array of switchback LEDs as Faux intake signals . I would prefer the white in the switchback LED to be 6000K to match the your head light. This is as apposed to the white LED and amber LED in you current Faux intake signals product.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts