Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Nothing like that on mine. I ride in the heat here - so it isn't the Florida heat doing it. My brake hose doesn't touch there unless I jump on it. Do you have your preload set too soft? Spend a lot of time carrying a passenger?

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Mine never touched stock. Now it reallllly doesn't touch. The first bikes never had an abrasion pad there either, so the lines on some rubbed through the paint on the swing arm.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I'll have to take a look at mine after work???

But isn't that a glue on plastic swear patch? item #51 below?

swingarm.jpg

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Yes, that patch was added later in the production run. The stock lines get real close to the swimg arm there, and when they get dirty, just tear up the swing arm. Luckily, mine didn't rub, and the braided lines don't come close.

·
Super Moderator
4,383 Posts
Mine doesn't show that sort of wear. However, I noticed in other folks photos and on my 09 where my right boot heal rubs the swingarm and I placed a small square of matt black vinyl wrap at that spot to protect the swingarm.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I was all proud of myself and pulled out my Scotchcal tape to show my brother how to safeguard the paint on his swingarm, only to find what you pointed out in the picture. I felt slighted.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have an early '14 model and it didn't have that protection band aid... noticed this when I was replacing my brake lines for braided lines.

It's completely rubbed off to the metal, I'll need to touch it up now. thankfully the new lines don't come anywhere close to the swingarm.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I have an early '14 model and it didn't have that protection band aid... noticed this when I was replacing my brake lines for braided lines.

It's completely rubbed off to the metal, I'll need to touch it up now. thankfully the new lines don't come anywhere close to the swingarm.

That's what mine looks like... :(

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
If you leave the sticker off so the line can rub on the swingarm, then yes, yes it will!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Another 14' with rash found as I was installing braided lines last year. =(
brake lines 009.jpg

brake lines 008.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm up near Daytona beach FL always riding in the heat and mine doesn't look like that but i have my preload set to stiff, can someone tell me how to create a new thread please?

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Reactions: ridetofish

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
also keep an eye on the front brake lines as they can rub the fender. i have spieglers and on full fork compression the right brake line (alt routing) will rub. i put some matte black vinyl tape over the area.

·
Registered
120 Posts
also keep an eye on the front brake lines as they can rub the fender. i have spieglers and on full fork compression the right brake line (alt routing) will rub. i put some matte black vinyl tape over the area.
good call but at least a plastic fender is easier to fix than a swingarm. I'm pretty upset with the rash on my swingarm, the Spiegler lines are much thinner than the OEM and the rash shows up very easily.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts