Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Vendor
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
does not look like it would be as easy as I had cautiously hoped. Looks to me like basically you would have to change everyting including the seat. The small gas tank is the only flaw in the fz9 I see that is difficult to fix. I wish they would come out with an optional larger tank.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Aren't there any master welders here that can add a "hump" on top of the stock tank perhaps? The handlebar locks on either side with plenty of room for such a hump.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
There appears to be some space (ABS location?) where the second tray is, forward and lower than the rear tank mount. Using that space would keep the fuel weight lower and the mod wouldn't have to be pretty, like expanding the tank top/sides would have to be.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I bought a slightly banged up tank to stretch it a bit, but I haven't got to it yet. It sits on a box, and I'm still looking at it from various angles trying to decide the best areas to work.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
David I feel your pain regarding the small tank. I am forever looking at my trip meter and calculating if I can make it to the next gas station.

I was averaging around 45mpg with the stock flash. After your amazing flash it has dropped to around 40mpg.

That being said I have zero regrets concerning your flash. It is worth every lost mpg for the great performance and ride-ability gains it provides.

Here is one solution for a few more tenths in the tank. Punch a couple of holes with a sharp prick punch in the filler neck to allow air in the tank to escape. You can top off without doing this but the holes make the process alot faster.

I can now get a full 4 gallons in at a fill up. Thats with the bike on the side stand. If you were to sit on the bike so it is upright you could squeeze in a little more.

Another benefit to topping off this way is you will leave behind a salute to Al Gore as your overflow tube pees on the ground....Lol.

Motor vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Team

Vehicle Motorcycle Car Recreation House

·
Registered
520 Posts
Aren't there any master welders here that can add a "hump" on top of the stock tank perhaps? The handlebar locks on either side with plenty of room for such a hump.
I'm a welder... Welding it is easy, you need a master tin knocker to seamlessly fit a hump on there that looks good

·
Registered
768 Posts
Reactions: fz9-tx-guy

·
Registered
92 Posts
There appears to be some space (ABS location?) where the second tray is, forward and lower than the rear tank mount. Using that space would keep the fuel weight lower and the mod wouldn't have to be pretty, like expanding the tank top/sides would have to be.
That is exactly how it is on the Warrior. I will look when I get home and see we could make it fit. The Warrior even uses the same size fuel lines & fittings as the FZ.

·
Registered
385 Posts

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
I have no idea on the FZ, but I always topped off my last truck. When my odometer got close to 100,000 mi, I had an endless series of emission component failures. Turns out the full tank fed fuel back into the components shortening their lives. The air space in the top of the tank was essential to keeping fuel out of the emissions bits. Probably not the case with a bike, but good to know for your cages.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
^ You mean the emission bits in the cardboard box in the shed?

Reactions: catofadiferntskn

·
Registered
123 Posts
The evap system on vehicles with one will depend on that air gap in the tank for a long life, and working correctly.

But, removed, they are a moot point.

And on this bike, they are not needed, but the nanny state idiots we keep voting in as society demand we all pay for them anyway. (And then pay again to remove them as noted.)

The hole idea is perfect for about a half gallon of gas more.

And when I was a KTM owner, the guys with KTM's are always looking for more fuel. Side bags, front bags, custom tanks and all sorts of stuff to try riding around the planet on one tank of fuel. (A real problem when riding across Mongolia for example.)

But here in the USA, even in a few wide open spaces out here in the west, it's not impossible to get fuel in most cases, inside the range of this tank.

That said, if I was going to upgrade the bike, it would be less work to sell your FZ09, and buy the new FJ09. Seriously. ;)
It's what? About 2k more? And for that you get side bags, a real second seat, better wind protection, headlights and some other things the FZ does not offer or you have to upgrade/buy later at your own expense.

I loved my FZ1 for the fairing and amazing headlamps. The extra weight was no fun, and the engine was smooth as glass with a ton of power on top, and not bad around town with one tooth down on the front sprocket.

But the FZ09 is a hoot to ride. Power everywhere, and while not as much on paper as the FZ1, it's a faster bike, I swear it is. (Feels faster anyway.)

If you really wanted to ADV tour the FZ09, get a custom skid plate made, bash bars, and mount up some more LED lamps. In the back, hard bags with fuel cells in them would extend your range, and using the rugged poly tanks/cells, you limit leaks, even in a crash. You could get 4 gallons per side, with the stock tank, some holes, and patience, fill up might be 12 gallons total.

At 40mpg, still not anything to write home about in 480 miles compared to the KTM 690 Adventure with a smaller Lc4 engine and custom fuel tanks that will get it about a thousand miles before you need to refuel. Well, maybe 800.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
480-800 miles without stretching your legs or trying to get the seam prints out of your posterior doesn't sound like a benefit to me. Seriously though, 150-175 miles is on the short side for sure. That extra half gallon would be an improvement.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Boy hawker there is no way I could take a 5mile per gallon hit I would be sitting on the side of some of my favorite mtn roads. Also a new oem fuel tank is very pricy I would think anywhere from 600 to 1000 dollars. happy holidays RR :cool:

·
Registered
1,158 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Boy hawker there is no way I could take a 5mile per gallon hit I would be sitting on the side of some of my favorite mtn roads. Also a new oem fuel tank is very pricy I would think anywhere from 600 to 1000 dollars. happy holidays RR :cool:
Just like estimated mileage shown on new cars... your mileage may vary.

With the stock flash I averaged round 44 or 45 and saw close to 50 a couple of times.

With the new flash I have seen 37 to 42 range with the average at around 40.

These numbers are per each fill up. To truly get an accurate number I would need to keep a journal and record all the miles ridden and the total number of gallons used.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I have two of these 1.5 liter fuel bottles for long hauls. They're cheap insurance against being stranded.

Amazon.com : Primus Fuel Bottle : Empty Camping Stove Fuel Bottles : Sports & Outdoors
Twisted Throttle dot com, etc... sell bottles like these (MSR?) along with bike-specific mounts for them.
I carry one with pre-mix in it for my chainsaw when doing volunteer work in a local state park. I've bounced the Super Tenere down some rough old roads with the the bottle in a backpack loaded with a saw & tools strapped to the rack and never had one leak at all.

Reactions: MoFZio

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hawker your right about estimated mpg the point I was making was some of the routs I ride I have very little room to move, a few times I've put in 3.5 gallons at the first stop. One gallon larger tank would be great. RR :cool:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts