Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchased the SW Motech metal "bash plate" designed for the FZ9.

After installation, I realized there is no way to remove the oil drain plug (during the oil change interval) unless you also remove the entire rear portion of the Motech unit. Although the skid plate comes into two pieces, the main section that mounts to the oil sump portion of the engine goes right across the oil drain bolt, uggh. It should have an opening for the drain plug but it does not.

Here is the PDF for the install instructions. It is bolt number 6 and number 7 that puts the base plate too close to the drain plug.

I am sending the the unit back.

mss_06_471_10000_b_1_xl.jpg

·
Registered
768 Posts
A 1.5" bi-metal hole saw might be cheaper than returning it.

·
Registered
654 Posts
just a thought but why not drill a hole in it to allow access to the drain plug? I agree its a serious design flaw, but it is easily fixable.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I guess you didn't read the review on Twisted Throttle. A flush mount drain plug will help. Check out the forums. Your mileage will vary.

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
How much do you ride? I wouldn't mind taking that off to do an oil change, but I only do one oil change in Spring and that's it.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
The duke 390 has a under spoiler that you have to take off to change the oil. It is six 10mm bolts. How many bolts to take that off?

·
Registered
377 Posts
You guys miss the point. It should have been engineered to do a normal routine oil change without removing the cowl. If it were mine, I'd also return it.

lessee my FZ has 10k on it, I've had it 10 months now. that's like, um, 5 oil changes.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The item has been returned. They have received similar complaints from other users as well. I believe SW-Motech will develop an improved design. In the meantime, I will keep the FZ9 on the paved road.

:)

·
Registered
340 Posts
I talked With Ricochet skidplates about making a skidplate for the FZ-09/FJ-09 line.
I believe the same skidplate would fit both models and that might give them more reason to build one.
They are currently looking into it and will be getting back with me.
Besides the non drain hole on the SW Motech skidplate I don't like its boxy look and thin(3mm)plating.

·
Registered
30 Posts
For $220 plus shipping (Motech's site), that accessibility should be designed in.
Shoulder-shrug engineering is what that is. Send it back.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I talked With Ricochet skidplates about making a skidplate for the FZ-09/FJ-09 line.
I believe the same skidplate would fit both models and that might give them more reason to build one.
They are currently looking into it and will be getting back with me.
Besides the non drain hole on the SW Motech skidplate I don't like its boxy look and thin(3mm)plating.
Smoother corners on the front (compared to the Motech template), one colored black version and another unpainted so it can be customized (powder coated etc.) by the user for his bike's particular color scheme. Having the exit hole for the oil drain line up perfectly should be on the design agenda :).

Here is a large sampling of other skid-plates to start the brainstorming process.

·
Registered
654 Posts
no personnel knowledge of it, but saw this online. ive already got frame sliders and engine case guards so cant justify the expense for just a skid plate, but for someone needing all 3 this looks like a nice set up.
Yamaha FZ 09 FJ 09 Adventure Cage and Skid Plate | eBay

Reactions: Tonester71

·
Registered
84 Posts
no personnel knowledge of it, but saw this online. ive already got frame sliders and engine case guards so cant justify the expense for just a skid plate, but for someone needing all 3 this looks like a nice set up.
Yamaha FZ 09 FJ 09 Adventure Cage and Skid Plate | eBay
Lol now this gets posted! I just installed the motech!

The motech is kind of a POS but it actually should work for what I want it to do which is minor hits and scrapes and thrown rocks. I'm not going to wheelie this thing over a log. I don't know if I'd choose something like that or not...it still doesn't cover the stock pipe fully which if you got into it bad enough its going to get wadded.

I think the OES slider set is pretty good. I *should* get case covers but dang it they cost more than the actual side cases from yamaha. A bigger problem is the radiator. A rock screen is one thing but I'd like some actual radiator braces to prevent side impacts from ruining the whole day. Go find that!

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Just don't fly over road crossings like this guy did.

If you are going to do that all the time, get yourself a supermoto or an adventure bike.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just don't fly over road crossings like this guy did.

If you are going to do that all the time, get yourself a supermoto or an adventure bike.
Actually that was a very small jump. Perhaps that was a OEM rear suspension unit that was under-sprung and the bike simply bottomed out. A better aftermarket spring/suspension might have prevented this from happening.

:confused:

Did the dude run the stop sign?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts