Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for those of you who have a SW-MOTECH aluminum engine guard/skidplate, do you have any issues with oil dripping into it when you change the oil filter? Is the drain plug easily accessible?

I'm considering getting one.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you have to remove the bottom section of the skid plate to do oil changes. There is no drain hole for the drain plug from the pictures. You can download the install instructions here, to get a better idea of how it goes together.

Premium Front Spoiler by SW-MOTECH for Yamaha MT09
Yup - I've already skimmed through that. It wasn't clear if the plug was open or not. That could be an easy fix.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for the info but it seems to me that with the skid pan, a low profile plug isn't necessary.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I armored the sump (cracked at the base of the so-called protective fin with a minor tap on first ride) and added a lowprofile drain plug
after repairing the crack and added the sw motech guard after just for insurance, I would be concerned that a hit to the guard might
connect with that fin and damage the sump. maybe just removing the fin with the stock plug is better but access for oil changes is easier
with the 6mm allen my plug has, Also you can see on the earlier posted photos the 3/8" alum plate on the bottom of my sump is tight to
the mounting frame of the motech guard and required a little grinding for fit.

Auto part Engine

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
my dirt bike skid plates have taken some serious abuse without issue. For my level of acceptable rik, I'm just going to use the skid plate. However, if I have difficulty changing oil I'll definitely switch to a different plug.

thanks for all the great pics and thoughts!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I installed mine today. It went on pretty easy. I'm way too used to the very heavy gauge skid plates for dirt bikes and this seemed a bit flimsy by comparison. I kicked it a few times and it seems pretty solid. Besides, I don't intend to ride rocky single-track - just fire roads so this should work fine.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I installed mine today. It went on pretty easy. I'm way too used to the very heavy gauge skid plates for dirt bikes and this seemed a bit flimsy by comparison. I kicked it a few times and it seems pretty solid. Besides, I don't intend to ride rocky single-track - just fire roads so this should work fine.
That's one way to test a guard! :p

After the snow left the roads with deep craters, the bike went into one deep one and scraped the guard.
I was parking the bike and had to go over this big round rock...the guard scraped over it pretty hard.

Guard already paid for itself. Oil change happens every 4-6k miles. I can deal with that.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts