Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Banned
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any current or previous SV650 owners out there that have recently become FZ-09 owners?? I am curious as to what you have in the way of input!!

I'm 23 years old, been riding dirtbikes and stuff since I was 6 but just got my SV650 about this time 3 years ago. Since then I've ridden it nearly 30k miles, and would like to think that I have gained some decent ability on it. I now often find myself wishing the bike had more power everywhere. It's not very fast...but easy to ride very fast, if that makes sense. Anytime you're going over 90 mph though the bike pretty much just falls flat on it's face, there's just not much there. Incredible going through corners though (even with stock rear shock and just aftermarket springs in the forks).

I'm curious to know what the FZ-09 is like in comparison, to those of you out there who may have experienced them both.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have 1 of each. I just got the SVN in June and really like it but pretty sure it's going up for sale. The 09 obviously has a huge power advantage.But it also just feels like a more substantial machine somehow. It's a lot more comfortable to me as well. The SV definitely has a lot to offer though. The 09's suspension is a bit better, though not great. The engine is magic but it's a good package overall with a lot of potential. If you like the light flickable handling of the SV, like it sounds, you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
558 Posts
The SV650 has the top speed advantage though.
Really? I read that the SV had a top speed of 129mph? And that was the 650S, I imagine the naked SV would be slightly lower

·
Banned
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Really? I sure hope not...because I feel like mine is slow. I've gotten the speedo to indicate 134 a couple of times, so I know it was really going like 127 or 128 or so. Isnt the FZ limited? Im sure that will be easily passable in the oncoming years. I was very surprised when I found out that bike doesnt go like 150+ out of the box.

·
Banned
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That vid of the guy riding the fz for like 34 minutes shows him going about 125 mph in 4th...

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Really? I sure hope not...because I feel like mine is slow. I've gotten the speedo to indicate 134 a couple of times, so I know it was really going like 127 or 128 or so. Isnt the FZ limited? Im sure that will be easily passable in the oncoming years. I was very surprised when I found out that bike doesnt go like 150+ out of the box.
The FZ-09 only has a top speed of 132mph. Yes, it's limited.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Hopefully the limit will be circumvented in the future. But the advantage to a limited top speed is it pulls all the way there instead of barely being able to make it to the top. I think this *may* have been a move by Yamaha to keep insurance rates on this bike down, sticking with their marketing it as an affordable motorcycle. But that's just a W.A.G.

·
Banned
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's not THAT important....the only time you really need to reach those speeds are on track days. I definitely would want to circumvent the top speed limiter though once it is feasible, as well as slap an exhaust on there to make it sound right!

I suppose what I will be doing is waiting a year at least to see if anybody has any major issues with any of them, and how many miles some people have put on them problem-free. Then I'll also be curious to see if there's any changes whatsoever for the next year's model. Regardless, I really want one.

Gotta get at least 1 more 10,000 mile riding season out of my SV though.

Reactions: cjhorton

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Hopefully the limit will be circumvented in the future. But the advantage to a limited top speed is it pulls all the way there instead of barely being able to make it to the top. I think this *may* have been a move by Yamaha to keep insurance rates on this bike down, sticking with their marketing it as an affordable motorcycle. But that's just a W.A.G.
Top speed has nothing to do with insurance. CCs.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Top speed has nothing to do with insurance. CCs.
Different companies take different things into account. If it was strictly by CC's, and these both being a standard bikes, a Triumph Bonneville and the FZ should cost the same to insure. But the FZ is double or more. The insurance rates on this bike vary from $400 a year (full coverage) to $4,000 a year so you can't rule something like top speed out. IMHO.

·
Banned
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah thats the only reason I didnt go finance one immediately, the insurance was outrageous. I was quoted nearly $3k/year for full coverage!!

I spend $89/year for liability and towing on the SV.

I think I'll just try to buy things outright and get liability insurance lol its not worth spending $3000 over the course of 12 months (compared to like $700 for me w/o collision) to make payments on a bike.

Reactions: v2Bob

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Different companies take different things into account. If it was strictly by CC's, and these both being a standard bikes, a Triumph Bonneville and the FZ should cost the same to insure. But the FZ is double or more. The insurance rates on this bike vary from $400 a year (full coverage) to $4,000 a year so you can't rule something like top speed out. IMHO.
Yeah it sucks that this bike is classified in thd sport category along with the full out crotch rockets. There should be another class between cruiser and sport bike.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Former SV650 owner here. Had one for 5 years. I loved the bikes engine and nimble handling in city riding/commuting but it's suspension made it downright scary to hustle through corners with a 200 lb rider. Haven't taken delivery of the FZ yet but it looks like it nearly doubles the power while addressing they issue but is otherwise similar.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Yeah it sucks that this bike is classified in thd sport category along with the full out crotch rockets. There should be another class between cruiser and sport bike.
Their is its called a standard and that is what i told my insurance dairyland he said he saw nothing to indicate it as a sport bike. I believe in NY a sport bike is considered a bike with clip ons for bars but do not quote me on this.

·
Registered
611 Posts
At 100+ MPH , I would rather be on a gixxer =)

·
Registered
570 Posts
Former SV650 owner here. Had one for 5 years. I loved the bikes engine and nimble handling in city riding/commuting but it's suspension made it downright scary to hustle through corners with a 200 lb rider. Haven't taken delivery of the FZ yet but it looks like it nearly doubles the power while addressing they issue but is otherwise similar.
+1, I had a 2003 SV650, loved the engine and handling on smooth roads but it really was as scary as weaponzero says on bumpy roads. I weighed close to 210 lbs, maybe it would have been fine for someone 150 lbs...

1 - 20 of 71 Posts