Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine wants to start riding, I found a 2001 SV650 online, but the price is a little high. He is willing to go to $1800 but it's a little high. According to him it does have a lot of the wear parts fixed so it will be functional for a while and the SV is a great learning bike. What do you guys 'n gals think?

2001 Suzuki SV650 with 22000 miles on it. Im asking $2100 OBO. Im buying another bike from a friend who's moving and I'm running out of time! I have to sell this first though. Its a great learner bike with plenty of power for even more experienced riders. It has a comfortable upright seating position for longer rides but enough room to lay down and get aggressive in the turns. Ive had it over a year now and I'm looking to get a cruiser so its time for this bike to find a new home. I still have the original tool bag and owners manual. I just bought new Michelin pilot tires about 500 miles ago. Oil and oil filter changed 20 miles ago. New chain and sprockets about 750 miles ago. It has been a great bike to me. I've replaced all four blinkers with new lights for better visibility. Ive also added new adjustable mirrors so you won't stare at your elbows all day. Sounds great and is pretty loud from the aftermarket pipe. It has been downed ( low-side slide) by the previous owner but the damages were all cosmetic and very minuscule. Damages include small scratch on tail plastic( right side), small nick on the tail pipe, and a scratched frame slider. All other cosmetic issues are just old paint chipping on the hot spots of the engine.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motor vehicle
Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle accessories
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Rim
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motorcycle accessories

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
In NJ - yes that bike is priced high - but out by you - seems prices are always a bit higher. The mileage isn't too concerning but pre-2003 are not fuel injected and the carbs can be finicky. It's also been down - while the guy said it was all cosmetic - i would take that assessment with a grain of salt.

Personally i'd prefer to go 2003 or newer if i were your buddy - even looking at that year or newer - you still should be able to find one $3k or lower.

My 03 had 22k miles on it - only a few mods (no exhaust or suspension) and a ding in the tank - i paid $3k for it (that was 3 years ago) sold it for $2,800 a year after purchasing to buy the FZ.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Check KBB and NADA used prices.

Reactions: chris1261

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That was my thought too, maybe hold out for a fuel injected bike. We are going to go look at it this afternoon. The price is still inflated, KBB perfect shape has $1500. The miles are lower than the expected miles for that year. The bank wouldn't even consider financing it at it's current price(not sure why she wants finance) but I think a little damage is good if the bike is a learner, resell won't make much though. She is brand new to bikes though so maybe something a little less than optimum as far as horsepower is a good thing.

Zach

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
the SV was my first bike - if i could do it again - i would have started on something with lower torque. The first few weeks i was riding - i was scared to death. It was a combination of never going that fast on a motorized vehicle before (aside from a quad) and the low end torque. The throttle is jerky like the 09 but a bit more manageable. I ended up not leaving a parking lot for more than 3 weeks, then drove around a neighborhood and surrounding sub 35mph roads for another 2-3 weeks. Only then did i feel like i could take it on a normal road. The high seat height plays a factor as well.

Are there are Ninja 500's for sale? That's right in her price range - a little less torque but still a ton of fun. Most are probably dinged up but to your point - shouldn't matter for a first bike.

Insurance on my SV (just comprehensive - no collision) was $100 bucks for the year - it was a beautiful thing.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
For San Diego $1800 is not a bad price at all. If it runs fine, I wouldn't be afraid of a carb'ed bike. Did the owner rejet the carbs for the exhaust? Not a big deal if no, it will just run a little leaner and you may notice a flat spot around 4500-5000 rpms.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Overall the carbureted ones were actually better bikes. Better frame and stronger low end punch. The only thing I don't like about them is the complete and utter lack of aftermarket support compared to 2nd generation fuel injected models. But if you're fine with the way it performs stock and don't plan on modding much I'd definitely choose a first Gen over second gen. The price seems fair to me. Regardless of what blue book values say I've found that used bikes rarely actually depreciate below roughly 2500 or so.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
$1800 is not a bad price for the bike IF it is in good running condition.

I would pay a mechanic to evaluate the bike. Get the seller to take the bike to a mechanic of YOUR choosing, have the mechanic inspect it and give you a rundown on the status of the bike.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
The 2003+ SVs with fuel injection are good but not that much of a difference/better than the carbs, once the carbs are properly sorted out (carb kit).

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
the SV was my first bike - if i could do it again - i would have started on something with lower torque. The first few weeks i was riding - i was scared to death. It was a combination of never going that fast on a motorized vehicle before (aside from a quad) and the low end torque. The throttle is jerky like the 09 but a bit more manageable. I ended up not leaving a parking lot for more than 3 weeks, then drove around a neighborhood and surrounding sub 35mph roads for another 2-3 weeks. Only then did i feel like i could take it on a normal road. The high seat height plays a factor as well.

Are there are Ninja 500's for sale? That's right in her price range - a little less torque but still a ton of fun. Most are probably dinged up but to your point - shouldn't matter for a first bike.

Insurance on my SV (just comprehensive - no collision) was $100 bucks for the year - it was a beautiful thing.
Did you ever do the TRE mod to your SV to eliminate the jerkiness?

·
Registered
616 Posts
I just sold a '2000 with 14k for $1700 (he was a friend). I really prefer the 1st gen frames, as I feel the 2nd's look like they came out of a play dough fun factory. I think your price is fair. It looks good. I never had any troubles with the bike, and I'll probably miss it at some point.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Overall the carbureted ones were actually better bikes. Better frame and stronger low end punch. The only thing I don't like about them is the complete and utter lack of aftermarket support compared to 2nd generation fuel injected models. But if you're fine with the way it performs stock and don't plan on modding much I'd definitely choose a first Gen over second gen. The price seems fair to me. Regardless of what blue book values say I've found that used bikes rarely actually depreciate below roughly 2500 or so.
+ 100,000

+/- a hundred or two means little over time....if it's mechanically sound I'd do it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I sold my '99 last year for $1450. It had 93,000 miles. The bike was bulletproof. I put 90k on it and rode it hard. It was always well cared for. Never once had a valve out of spec. Didn't burn a drop of oil. It was a great bike and was a ton of fun. I'd buy another without hesitation.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I sold my '99 last year for $1450. It had 93,000 miles. The bike was bulletproof. I put 90k on it and rode it hard. It was always well cared for. Never once had a valve out of spec. Didn't burn a drop of oil. It was a great bike and was a ton of fun. I'd buy another without hesitation.
That is a ton of miles! I might buy it! Lol I think my wife would definitely kill me at that point! Thanks everyone for the advice, this forum never disappoints on knowledge and experience!

Reactions: Steve101
1 - 16 of 16 Posts