Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a hard time getting the clutch cover to seal on my SV. Has anybody experienced this? Any suggestions? Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
SV650?

The keys to a good seal are:

1) clean (no oil, no old sealant or gasket material), flat sealing surfaces
2) complete (untorn or folded) gasket
3) proper tightening technique so you don't warp or dimple the cover or strip out the cover bolts.

Some don't use gaskets and just use a good sealant like red/black permatex RTV or Yamabond.

If your sealing surfaces are not flat, you probably need to replace the cover or in some cases you can get away with making a thicker gasket out of thicker, rubberized cardboard gasket material that you can buy in sheet form from most autoparts stores.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I'm having a hard time getting the clutch cover to seal on my SV. Has anybody experienced this? Any suggestions? Thanks, Dave
Magic marker the spot that it is leaking, pull it off, make sure all gasket material is off of the cover and the bike, put it on a glass window pane and try to slip the corner of a piece of paper under every inch of the cover. Also, I would spray adhesive a piece of sandpaper onto a flat surface and do a figure eight of the mating surface of the cover to ensure that it is symmetrical.

Haha, you asked.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The SV uses a plastic cover, that has kicked my ass for years. I went to the SV site, and my suspicions were confirmed; it is a common problem. I cleaned it, applied black rtv (in addition to using a new o ring ($15), and allowed it to skin over before reinstalling. I didn't use the book stated torque of 88 in lbs. I instead step torqued it in, and finished out with 60 in lbs. After re-filling, and riding, it seems to be holding. The only thing that I did different was lowering the torque value. I think that maybe it was excessive, distorting the cover. Thanks for the input, my fingers are crossed. :p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts