Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i really dig both of them - i'm content with the FZ but if i was looking and the suspenion was better out of the box - would be a hard decision.

·
Registered
987 Posts
The F is UGLY

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sadly no weight specs

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
smart pricing, suzuki will sell a bunch of these. the z1000 costs $12k and the gsx-s1k makes more power and weighs less (~456 pounds wet for non-abs model, so figure about ~460 with abs) and has traction control.

·
Super Moderator
4,340 Posts
Well, that is much better than the early number of $13,000. They may sell a few of those. I love my 09 and the GSXS, no matter how reasonably priced is not going to get my attention.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Very nice. I have been shopping around for a new r1 but this may send me in another direction. Any idea what early release means? Didn't see what quarter or anything. Thought?

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
One question, how can the the full fairing GSX-R1000 weigh in at 448 lbs and the sport naked GSX-S1000 weigh more at 456.3 lbs?

Second question, will the "S" be a de-tuned version of the "R"?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
One question, how can the the full fairing GSX-R1000 weigh in at 448 lbs and the sport naked GSX-S1000 weigh more at 456.3 lbs?
it's the new math. happens with most factory supersport -> naked conversions.

Second question, will the "S" be a de-tuned version of the "R"?
1000ps dynoed a eu-spec gsx-s and it hit 140+ rwhp. that's maybe 10-15 horses down from the k5 gsx-r1k. so it's detuned but not castrated.

assuming suzuki doesn't pull a honda....

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I have read that the GSX-S750 is a disappointing detuned version of the GSX-R750. We will find out for sure once the GSX-S1000's start hitting the streets in North America. It sucks when any manufacturer de-tunes a perfectly good engine for no real good reason. If they de-tune the S1000 to much, it could kill sales, unless a good ECU flash can bring back some of the stolen ponies.

Reactions: paso1000

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
If they do it right with a new cam it will be better for the street. In my limited experience with Kawi's "street" cams (2 bikes), they make peak torque lower in the rev range, so the top end becomes less peaky and more manageable (if you've had an old Kawi, you know what I mean). I think in the end, this makes them more fun to drive on the street and more controllable in the higher rpms when you're having some fun on some old deserted black top.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Better than what you'd expect at that price point ... snatchy low-end throttle and mediocre suspension.
Gee, kind of sounds familiar.
If I wasn't in love with my FZ, I'd seriously consider the faired model as a fantastic budget sport tourer due to its comfort and speed. Great sound from a four-cylinder, too.
I think these will be a hit due to price point. Not everyone wants a BMW or a super naked.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
The reason these naked versions of supersports weigh more is because they use lesser quality parts on the naked bikes. Which equals more weight. There is little to no titanium or magnesium parts on these bikes.

Reactions: Steve101
1 - 16 of 16 Posts