Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Suspension Options Sticky

Could we possibly start a sticky with all the information on shock options for the Front and Rear.

I would be willing to update it and add information.

For Rear:
year, model, features, info needed to make it fit (mods/trimming) -- link to thread

05-06 Kawasaki ZX6R (Preload/Stepless Rebound/Compression) minor modifications needed for install
05-06 Kawasaki ZX6RR (Preload/Stepless Rebound/HS Compression/LS Compression) minor modifications needed for install -- Here
07-08 Kawasaki ZX6R (Preload/Rebound/HS Compression/LS Compression) suspension linkage needs to be shaved -- Here
08-10 Kawasaki ZX10R (Preload/HS Compression/LS Compression) minor cutting of plastic fairing below the tank -- Here
99-07 Suzuki Hayabusa waiting for additional information

Penske 8900E (Ride Height/Preload/Linked LS Compresssion & Rebound)
Penske 8983 (Ride Height/Preload/LS Compression/Rebound)
Penske 8987 (Ride Height/Preload/LS Compression/HS Compression/Rebound)
Elka Stage 2 (Ride Height/Rebound)
Elka Stage 4 (Ride Height/LS Compression/Rebound)
Elka Stage 5 (Ride Height/LS Compression/HS Compression/Rebound)

For Front:
off the shelf options
front end swaps (year, model, features, info needed to make it fit) -- link to thread

AK20 Fork Cartridges
GP Suspension Fork Piston Kit
GP Suspension 25mm Cartridge Kit
Upgrade Stock Springs for Rider Weight (May want to use thicker oil)

This would serve as a great place for people to go look instead of searching and asking questions. I myself am starting to find it difficult when looking at what to do with the rear and reading over everything that is available.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I will update the main post, please just reply with any information that has been confirmed and a link to the thread.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Get it started and start populating it, and I'll sticky it.

Reactions: ktk_ace

·
Registered
41 Posts
08-10 ZX-10R Shock - minor cutting of plastic fairing below the tank (less than 10 minutes work). Settings: adjust preload to ~30mm sag, hs and ls 1,5 turns open
Hayabusa Shock (99-07 i think), don't know about the settings

Front:
2x R/H stock cartridges, 10w oil and öhlins springs

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
08-10 ZX-10R Shock - minor cutting of plastic fairing below the tank (less than 10 minutes work). Settings: adjust preload to ~30mm sag, hs and ls 1,5 turns open

Front:
Do you have any thread links or links to the products so that I can make it easier.

The idea is to help give people an idea of what is available and what people have done on this bike to ease the confusion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I sent my forks to Traxxion Dynamics : Racing & Sport Bike. They re-valved and re-sprung the forks. $550 package deal.

For the rear shock I purchased the Penske : Penske 8983 Double Adjustable Shock - Remote Reservoir

If you let them know at Traxxion that your a FZ-09 Forum member you get 10% off the shock.

Putting the rear shock on was a real bear. You can't really see much around the front shock mount. Openings to see the shock bolt up front about one inch diameter.

They setup the suspension to your weight and riding style.

They set the preload and all damping. All you need to do is install and ride it. It was spot on for me.

I'm very impressed with their staff at Traxxion. Turn around time was three weeks. Considering this is prime season I was happy with that.

The change in riding around the bumpy back roads of California has a big smile on my face! :)

cheers,
Steve

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I sent my forks to Traxxion Dynamics : Racing & Sport Bike. They re-valved and re-sprung the forks. $550 package deal.

For the rear shock I purchased the Penske : Penske 8983 Double Adjustable Shock - Remote Reservoir

If you let them know at Traxxion that your a FZ-09 Forum member you get 10% off the shock.

Putting the rear shock on was a real bear. You can't really see much around the front shock mount. Openings to see the shock bolt up front about one inch diameter.

They setup the suspension to your weight and riding style.

They set the preload and all damping. All you need to do is install and ride it. It was spot on for me.

I'm very impressed with their staff at Traxxion. Turn around time was three weeks. Considering this is prime season I was happy with that.

The change in riding around the bumpy back roads of California has a big smile on my face! :)

cheers,
Steve
Yeah I am going to be adding an off the shelf option for the Penske, Traxxion, Elka options. Thanks for the reminder. I am looking to find some of the budget options people have went with, or even the crazy complete swaps that people have done.

·
Registered
139 Posts

Front:
How are you finding the conversion to two r/h cartridges, does it seem to work all work pretty well?

·
Registered
11 Posts
For hayabusa shock: 1999-2007. if you're lucky and it comes with the linkage (that bracket on the right side of the pic) you can move the 10mm bushing over and not have to drill out the shock to accept a 12mm bolt.

·
Registered
870 Posts
If the OEM wasn't too far off, then now you should have much too much damping in the shim stack. But I'm going to guess they didn't really double-up the valving in the originals to compensate for running just one leg with damping so perhaps now it finally has enough.

Enlighten us?

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I'm 175 lbs without gears...

Rear
ZX-10 shock 9.1 kg/mm spring with 37mm sag.
LSB: All open (CCW)
HSB: 1.5T in from all open
REB: 1.25T in from all open

Front
.90 kg/mm springs with 38mm sag
130mm oil level 7W (track), 5W if street only
GP piston kit

Cold psi road F32/R32
Track F30/R27

·
Registered
55 Posts
does the zx6r shock work for the same years as the zx6rr? i though it was the same other than that extra adjustment. Also suspension is spelt wrong on the thread title can that be changed??

·
Registered
262 Posts
32/32 Tire psi seem low to me, do you have tire wear problem to run low psi and what was the benefit?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
does the zx6r shock work for the same years as the zx6rr? i though it was the same other than that extra adjustment. Also suspension is spelt wrong on the thread title can that be changed??
The zx6r shock should be the same years, I will add it as well. And I can't believe I typoed there where I continued to type it fine throughout the post

·
Registered
55 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've been trying to sort all all the shock options and see that Elka advertises their shock models as "stages." I'm familiar with carb stages but not shocks--are there standards for shock stages?

1 - 20 of 183 Posts