Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings & Salutations!
This is my first posting on this Forum, and I hope I do it properly. I’m in my mid-fifties and been riding all sorts of bikes since I was ten so I consider myself a veteran motorcyclist, and I’m a new FZ-09 owner. Well, correction, I will be a new FZ-09 owner in the next 48 hours. I initiated my acquisition 5 days ago, but due to a series of logistical issues it looks like it’s going to take a full week to take delivery of my bike. I insisted on a 2014 Liquid Graphite (as I like the “blurple” wheels) and it had to track down and transported from a nearby county. First the truck transporting the bike broke down then once the bike actually arrived at my local dealer, it was realized the headlight wiring extension recall had not been performed and of course the local dealer didn’t have the part in stock. This discovery was made five minutes before I arrived at the dealer to pick it up (when I got there I was allowed to see it, touch, sit on it – but not take it home), and it was Saturday so the part wouldn’t be there until Monday. Problem is my dealership is closed Monday so…I'm going a little nuts.

Anyway, I’m really looking forward to getting this bike and a lot of that is based on much of what I’ve read here on this forum. One of the things that seems pretty clear about the bike, based on reviews and your comments here, is it may benefit from some suspension upgrades. At the risk of sounding boastful, I feel I have the needed skills and resources to address this possible need. I’ve worked in the motorcycle industry for over 20 years and the majority of that time has been spent specializing in suspension design, tuning, testing, and development. I’m currently an application analyst and product development manager at Progressive Suspension and look forward to getting my hands on this bike.

So my question to all of you who have read this (and to help me get through the next 48 hours) is what do you think of your FZ’s Suspension? What adjustments have you made? What’s your weight and typical riding style? I’m looking for some feedback, and I want to see how it compares to my own opinion when I get mine.

·
Registered
343 Posts
You made a terrible mistake and all signs are telling you that. You must cancel immediately.
48 hours the clock is ticking to a point of no return.
Seriously welcome.

·
Registered
612 Posts
The bike is amazing but the suspension does suck [email protected] in its stock configuration. I'm about 185 without gear so I have installed higher rate fork springs that I purchased from Nick at Stoltec. The fork springs really helped with fork dive under braking, but it really needs new cartridges for the forks too. I also plan to get a better rear shock at some point as the bike tends to bob a bit in corners.

Don't get me wrong I'm very glad I got an FZ-09 but to make it perfect it needs a bit of investment.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Plenty of suspension options for whatever your riding style is. Do a forum search - the info is all there

·
Registered
391 Posts
I'm 220 and will definitely upgrade the front cartridges and rear shock. After setting sag I had to bump up compression as it's soft leaned over and braking hard. I haven't decided for sure which way to go yet. Leaning towards GP Suspension cartridges and a Penske rear.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Plenty of suspension options for whatever your riding style is. Do a forum search - the info is all there
Exactly. Mr. Suspension..use the SEARCH Feature here, top Right. At least a dozen Suspension Threads -- Everything you wanted to Know about the FZ09's Suspension But were afraid to ask....:cool:

·
Registered
343 Posts
47 that dark side is real. Suspense , expectations , it's not a liter bike but you twist that throttle three times and your never the same again.
If you sleep for ten then there's only 37.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I guess I don't push mine hard enough. At 190 lbs. all I had to do is max the preload and dampening on the rear shock . . . The front is fine in its stock setting. I am 62 . . . (Mentally 15) . . . It feels very stable to me . . . I do not ride it on a track . . .

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I'm 150 in full gear. Stock suspension. Preload front and rear about maxed. Damping just short of maxed on the front and rear. I don't push it on the street, and don't do track days, so it is sufficient.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Excellent choice of color! As long as you're waiting, did they also do the ECU update? Hate for you to get there only to get another delay. Those who had it done (the factory flash update) have all been positive. I'm no high performance rider, but enjoy twisty country roads. I'm also mid 50's. I had several nice rides this summer and played with the stock suspension and got clear results. That being said, although I no longer have mine (due to undesirable circumstances), I was seriously investigating suspension upgrades to be done this winter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Excellent choice of color! As long as you're waiting, did they also do the ECU update? Hate for you to get there only to get another delay. Those who had it done (the factory flash update) have all been positive.
I spoke with the dealership owner (known & dealt with him over the years) and he suggested I ride it prior to doing the factory flash and make sure I wanted it done. It sounds like it's pretty much unanimous that it's an improvement, but I'm thinking I might always wonder what it felt like before flash if I just have them do it before hand. It sounds like I'll likely run it back over there for the flash before the week's out.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm 150 in full gear. Stock suspension. Preload front and rear about maxed. Damping just short of maxed on the front and rear. I don't push it on the street, and don't do track days, so it is sufficient.
I weigh 150 without gear and do push it on the street. i feel that the zx-6r rear shock was more than sufficient of an upgrade for me. Search is your friend as this topic has been covered numerous times

·
Registered
137 Posts
Welcome to the mad world of the 09.
Great choice of colour with the wheels (same here).
Had everything cranked up on the suspension (200lbs kitted out) and still got unsettled when hard braking or acceleration lent over. Have got some front spring via recommendation from Nick at Soltec (sonic springs), plus a 2nd hand ZX10R rear shock.
Already had the flash done and massive improvement...
So all this is getting fitted next week along with the headlight harness and 2nd can chain tensioner, so time will tell, but either way start off with it stock and see if your ridding style needs anything changing...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Penske 8983 and GP cartridges along with a lower, more forward handlebar totally transformed this bike into a backroad beast. Not cheap but absolutely incredible!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ive road sport bikes for 25 years and the suspension sucks. I still love the bike . I'm just use to supersport suspension . I weigh 163 pounds and was looking for an all around bike and yes it is all that but I'm still having a hard time learning how to ride the bike after years of sportbikes. I recently tried the hyper pro front and rear springs . the front springs helped but not nearly where I would like . the front is extremly divey extremly did I mention extremly. it causes me to use more back break on stopping . the hyperpro rear spring was a step down . they claimed it complimented the front and that it does by downgrading itself to the fronts weak bouncy feeling . so I'm going back to the stock spring on rear . ile probly save the 4k that it will take to fully upgrade to sport like suspension . but honestly for every day comute it's very comfertable suspension it's just when I get to high speed bumpy back roads gets scary as the bike feels very loose and squirley .

·
Super Moderator
5,623 Posts
I'm not sure where you came up with the $4K number to upgrade the suspension, but you can do it for a little over $2K by using a Penske double clicker in the rear and a set of GP cartridges up front.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I weigh 200 in gear and upgraded to Penske 8983 double clicker and Andreani cartridges with springs which totally changed the bike.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Spend between $2000-$3000 for new fork upgrades and rear shock. Problem solved. It you are as demanding as some of us :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is all really great stuff guys, and I've been researching the subject on the Forum for a while (as recommended by beck & Steve101). I'm starting to get an impression of what's possibly needed or desired. I SHOULD be picking mine up today, so I'll be able to feel what everyone's talking about. Thanks again for all the feedback - and keep it coming!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
This is all really great stuff guys ... Thanks again for all the feedback - and keep it coming!
WELCOME to the Machine!
Yep...if you're already asking about suspension...you won't likely be content with the stock setup.
185lbs birthday suit here...moderate riding (no track manuvers on street)...so stock suits the need. Like it soft; comfort ride.
Look fwd to hearing your first impressions of the bike. Most of us here find it to be a fantastic buy for the buck.
Enjoy and welcome!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts