Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here is my situation. I had a back injury that had me pretty much inactive for a solid 4 months. Needless to say I gained a crap ton of weight. I am back to 100% but am dealing with the aftermath that is my waistline. I currently weigh 255lbs with my goal being 195lbs. Now at my current weight the FZ's suspension pretty much sucks. Pogo is an understatement.

All of that brings me to my question. Should I wait to upgrade my suspension until I drop the weight or should I upgrade the suspension with a target goal of me weighing 195lbs & add the additional weight of gear to that figure. My thought is if I did that I would still have a better performing suspension than stock and would give me an additional incentive to not be a fatass, lol. The other option is to just crank the stock suspension to max settings and upgrade when I drop the weight. Im a street rider exclusively if that helps with the advice. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Your choice. Personally, I would upgrade sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I used to be 335 lbs and have since then lost most of the weight, and as someone who has been through that, here is what I would do (and did do, with success).

Spend the money on aftermarket shocks that are sprung for your goal weight. These higher end aftermarket suspension components have enough adjustability in them to go +/- 20 lbs or so of the target weight, so don't worry if you overshoot your goal by a bit or don't quite make it. The bike will still ride a hundred times better with the upgraded suspension bits at your current weight, even though you are over the target weight for the suspension by a good bit.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used to be 335 lbs and have since then lost most of the weight, and as someone who has been through that, here is what I would do (and did do, with success).

Spend the money on aftermarket shocks that are sprung for your goal weight. These higher end aftermarket suspension components have enough adjustability in them to go +/- 20 lbs or so of the target weight, so don't worry if you overshoot your goal by a bit or don't quite make it. The bike will still ride a hundred times better with the upgraded suspension bits at your current weight, even though you are over the target weight for the suspension by a good bit.
So what do you think as far as set up? Dialed for 215lbs or 225lbs? Congrats on the weight-loss btw. I'm down 7lbs so far which has brought me to the 255lbs I'm currently sitting at. That has just been diet change. I start seriously exercising next week.

·
Registered
957 Posts
So what do you think as far as set up? Dialed for 215lbs or 225lbs? Congrats on the weight-loss btw. I'm down 7lbs so far which has brought me to the 255lbs I'm currently sitting at. That has just been diet change. I start seriously exercising next week.
I think the shock/springs you end up with will be the same if you choose 215 or 225, but I could be wrong. Talk to Nick from Stoltec about that.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I would get the suspension built around the 220 mark, when you get to 195 it will be a bonus... Could just be my preference though, i like my suspension rigid... Im lying about my weight to make myself heavier when i order... Haha

1 - 6 of 6 Posts