Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all - New FZ-09 owner (100 miles). Like a lot of others, I am struggling with the stock suspension. Generally, I am an average rider (weekend warrior) - city/canyon type of riding)...can be aggressive at times, but will hardly push this bike to it's potential.

In reading the various options, is there any downside to this package:

//http://www.ebay.com/itm/Advanced-Suspension-Andreani-Cartridge-Ohlins-Shock-ADYA011-Yamaha-MT-09-/381051044204?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AFZ09&hash=item58b869816c&vxp=mtr

It feels like for $1000+ install, I can get a much better ride. When I look at some of the other options (especially on fork cartridges)...the price is a lot higher. What am I missing?

(yes, I have read a ton already on this forum...more informed, but still confused/unsure).

Thanks! - Tim

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think the General feeling is any upgrade on the suspension makes a huge difference as long as it's set up well.....the option you suggest would be a major improvement over stock.....make sure you get the right spring for your weight...

·
Registered
391 Posts
It's a good deal. I almost bought but instead bought the rear shock from Kyle Racing while I weighed my options for the forks. If I go with the Andreani cartridges alone it will cost me an extra $140 over the price of the kit you posted.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I got the Andreani cartridges direct from Italy through eBay for under 600 USD delivered. Before that I got a used ZX10 rear shock for 80 USD. Very pleased wit the tune ability and of course the ride quality.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
wow - this seems like a pretty good deal for the cartridges and rear shock - i think i paid around 2/3 of that price for the rear alone - i haven't seen a complete front fork cartridge swap for less than a grand alone either. I have the ohlins rear shock - i'm pretty sure it's the same one as in the picture - if it is - i really cant say enough about how dramatically it changed the handling of the bike.

I'm personally not going to go the full cartridge route on the front - part of me may regret this but i think stiffer springs and heavier fork oil will do it for me. Honestly, the rear shock upgrade fixed 75-80% of my riding issues, i may even go this season with the stock front fork still - i'm not in a big rush to swap it out. The biggest issues with the front fork i've experienced after upgrade the rear is turning and braking on declining turns. The front end gets a bit choppy and hard braking still leads to a good amount of front end dive. The bike doesn't pogo as much now with the rear end stiffer so that has solved a lot of the issues i was having that prevented me from riding the bike even remotely hard.

If i was riding track days i'd go with the full cartridge set up - then again if i was doing a lot of track days - i probably wouldn't be doing them on an FZ09 to being with but that's just me.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Tim,
Someone from down under I think installed those cartridges. Really liked them on his local bumpy roads. Kit came with .78kg/mm springs (same as FZ09 oem); too soft for his weight. He installed stiffer springs.

I have that Ohlins S46DR installed on a wee strom 650. Works great for a preload/rebound damping adjustable only unit. Again, the spring. It comes with a 95N/mm spring.

I'm 170-175lbs in full kit. Installed .85kg/mm fork springs and my Penske 8900E shock spring is about 95-96N/mm. They both feel right so far (hurry spring!). You may need different springs, depending on your weight.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey all - good comments. Haven't pulled the trigger...but feels like this is a reasonable deal even with the cost to install and set up!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi there.

I am new to the FZ, but know that I want to improve the suspension. I am 5' 10" and weigh 230. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you are near Hendersonville, NC try Fast Bike Industries. He actually specializes in Anderani and Ohlins and offers the andreani cartridge kit and ohlins rear shock.

hkeithmurray: If you want to spend as little as possible, you could have someone install springs for your weight and change the fork oil for something thicker (worked on my last bike). For the rear you can swap a shock from another bike that's pretty decent.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Personally, replacing the suspension is required on this bike.

I'd go for the full monty if you can afford it, but anything will be better then stock.

And I mean, a lot better.
I have the penske triple clicker, and the penski gp cartridge kit.
jaz

·
Registered
120 Posts
It may just be me, but I have a 2015 model and purchased a nice '06 ZX6 shock and Andriani cartridge kit with the intent of having to replace the whole system immediately. I weigh 180 in gear, ride aggresively on choppy roads, have the rebound on both ends cranked near max and find very little fault with the stock set-up. I know it doesn't appear from the parts list that Yamaha changed much between 2014 & 2015, however they claim they at least doubled the damping rates on the FJ09 and it may be they did the same on the '15 FZ09. Anybody else notice this? A guy in a dealership rode both bikes and said the same thing, but I didn't believe him at the time and bought the upgrades anyway. I'll probably do the installs, but could very well live with it as is. This is a great bike.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks for the tip - does anyone know a good place in Michigan to have someone update and setup the suspension on my new FZ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Tech-Care Racing Suspension should be about a 30 minute ride from Troy, MI (I have never done business with this place)

·
Registered
654 Posts
ok, been reading the various pros and cons and prices. my $.02 is if your doing regular track days either replace the suspension or you chose the wrong weapon for the job. Now as far as canyon slashing on the weekend just going to the stiffest and slowest settings on the stock suspension made it a world better for me and im 255lbs before gear. I might go as far as stiffer springs and thicker oil in the front some day and a zx10 shock in the rear someday, but unless you went with lower bars and rearsets you will never get enough front end feel from this bikes riding position to truly push the pace in the twistys. if that was your original intent I fall back to wrong weapon for the job. I also have an SV650 with none of its original suspension and everything in it is set up and dialed in for my weight. it literally corners like its on rails but after 2 hours of riding my old bones are in pain. we may have all got our FZs for different reasons, for me the bang for the buck and knowing its lite enough that I can still go do 75% of what my sv does but ride in comfort all day long was its selling points. as I ramble on I lost my original point, it was almost unrideable on anything other than smooth pavement when I picked it up. just maxing the preload and slowing the dampning made it feel like a different bike, at least try that before dropping a grand on something it sounds like you will not use the full potential of (no disrespect intended) lets call it trying to save a fellow fz owner some money.

Reactions: tnez

·
Registered
377 Posts
If I had not spent the cash on the suspension upgrade,when I hit an obstacle in the road on xmas day I definitely would have gone down at 80 mph, instead of just trashing two rims.

Just food for thought.

skip to 18:31 for the relevent bits

·
Registered
637 Posts
Wow, I didn't even see what you hit. I take it the psychedelic bit is the camera falling off from the impact.

Glad you didn't go down

One of things I have tried to do during my commuting life is to try and ride in the tire grooves of the other vehicles. Those are generally clearer of debris, most commonly nails, but it can be anything. Ladders and beds are becoming common items again in PHX. Have not had a flat in quite a while - I think the new home construction has moved to the outskirts and remodels have been put on hold.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought a 2015 fz09 that's matte silver. So far I've replaced the stock shock with a penske 8900e shock, and replaced the oil in my forks with 10w belray fork oil. I'm 260 pounds and I'm happy with the bike now. I ride pretty aggressive in the street. The shock cost me about $700, the oil about $10.

·
Registered
5 Posts
OMG!!!! what did you hit?

For what its worth, I was a having a bit of a whinge about the forks being a bit undersprung to the dealer I bought my bike off the other day, (I'm about 100kg before getting dressed, or about 220 of your pound things) and he said to me "Dont worry I can fix that for about $350 Australian Dollars. So I said hey I'll give it a go.

So he takes the spring out, cuts about 25mm off them, makes and installs a short spacer, puts some new oil in and plays around with the amount of air in the forks and gives the bike back to me.

I take it for a ride and guess what, it worked.

Now I'm a happy rider again :)

(except now the rear end feels worse)

Better start saving..........

·
Registered
962 Posts
I wonder if the FJ-09 actually has a lot more damping? I've already got springs that work better for me - but I'm under damped. It would be nice if the parts would swap... Anyone got the FJ-09 parts fiche?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts