Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get an fz09. All this bad talk on suspension is making me turn away

I'm 170. I ride on back roads which are bumpy and rough and also ride on smooth roads . I don't track ride

I read that's its to soft and ya ya. But guessing that's from the hard core riders and track guys ?

would stock be ok. With tuning. Anyone on here ok with there stock set up ?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I weigh 170-175 lbs in gear and the factory suspension is perfectly fine for me. I would consider myself a normal to mildly aggressive rider. No track rides either. I was worried from all the negative comments just as you are. At our weight IMHO you can definitely dial the factory suspension in to meet your needs unless you plan on taking this thing to the limit.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi Evan,

I read all of the same stuff and worried about it too. I purchased my 2014 Fz09 in February and had to wait for the weather to break, here in Michigan. I was soooo tempted to start changing things, based on the comments and reviews that I read. Boy am I glad I didn't!

I am 5' 10" and around 220#. I ride around 10-15k miles per year on my RV (GL1800) and plan to put most of the miles on the Hot Rod from now on! The bike performs great, right out of the box! I held off and figured I would ride the bike for a little while, before I started making any mods and it was the correct choice for me.

I think the suspension works well and the brakes seem to be spot on for my riding style. I spend most of my time riding around town and back and forth to work daily, so I my opinion, by the bike and ride it first.

By the way - this bike is a ton of fun! I rode my RV for the first time this year and it feels like land yacht now.

Good luck and hope this helps!

Keith.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alsome thanks. I'm excited to test one out. I own a fz6r now and that rides fine for me. Just like to get that extra power and bottom end power

·
Registered
239 Posts
The suspension only starts to get finicky when riding pretty aggressively. The more you weigh the more it'll be effected. The problem is that technology has gotten so good that these magazine writers etc are left having to nit pick things that aren't necessarily a big problem. Unless you're a) a rather hefty guy or b) planning on taking it to the track is say you could pass on a suspension upgrade. The stock suspension is on the light side however, so pushing the bike hard will cause it to unsettle more often in turns etc. if you're not experienced at negotiating mid turn then you should tone back your speeds until you get more experience.
The FZ-09 wasn't designed to be a track bike or a land speed record breaker, both of which I feel many try to make it into. It's designed to be a comfortable, fun, short distance hooligan bike. If you want something else for your motorcycle I'd suggest looking at other models. The FZ can do a lot of things, but to do those things it typically takes some significant additional investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
857 Posts
I'm with some of the other folk, Stock is fine, there is some adjustment on the forks, and rear shock. Your buying that crazy motor anyway. Two wheels and that sweet triple.

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Off the dealer lot, with the stock settings, it wasn't so great. Adjust the preload and dampening and it works just fine for a lot of guys.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh yes. I heard good things about that motor And the bottom end pull I'm used to the 450 motocross bikes and love the bottom end power and pull

·
Registered
411 Posts
I am 6'2" and weigh around 210 lbs. I am riding on the stock suspension and have no complaints. You might need to make some adjustments as others have pointed out. I do most of my riding commuting to work with some good rides on twisty country roads. I know that many folks here are far more aggressive and experienced riders than I am. There is lots of great advice on this forum for those who need to upgrade their suspension. I hope you enjoy your bike as much as I do mine. :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm about your weight, and the stock suspension was ok for commuting and most of my weekend riding. Put 5000+ miles on her before deciding to upgrade. I like solid, stable steering. The FZed is light and nimble; borderline skittish in my biased opinion. Doesn't have that "riding on rails" feel I crave. Spent approx. $800 on Suspension upgrade and found the stability. In hindsight, perhaps steering damper would have done the trick for less $$.

This bike is such a blast as is for so little $$. Just get one. Fix whatever you don't like as finances allow.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Suspension is fine up to a certain level. The bumpier the worst IMO. The main issue to me on stock suspension was the lack of rear damping. The bike squat very easily under power. To fix that adding preload help but the lack of rebound damping made it quite scary to me over bumps. The front end is not as bad as it seams. You can preload the hell out of it and be fine or throw few $$$ on some fork springs for your weight. 10W oil when you refresh the fork oil then adding a bit more to 130ish mm to help the dive control under braking...

The bike is rideable bone stock and everything feel fine until you ride one that is fully all sort out.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'm 230 in gear, a $50 rear shock makes it a ton better, and the big complaint is front fork dive when slowing. It lowers the nose of the bike, changing the bike's geometry which makes the bike twitchy and the lower nose causes a forward sliding motion on the seat which lowers the nose more. Springs and fork oil will take care of that for $100.

$150 to set the bike up isn't a big deal at all.

·
Registered
343 Posts
When you test ride put extra weight at your heels when slowing down. If you bring the front up accidentally then drop it quickly beware of throttle twisting from the front fork dive causing a popping the front up again. I'm heavy 280 and it goes fine if I ride like regular folks. So I act regular like everyone else when I ride

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I am 150lbs at nearly 6'. Stock is good for me. And I ride the moon craters of NYC where full stiff (_insert any expensive aftermarket race-spec_) suspension on any bike makes for a jarring ride, so having some adjustability on the stock suspension is great.
Commute everyday + every few weeks/months, do some fast 250+ mile days + do some sort of twisties- never had a issue. I mostly have smooth throttle control, ride fairly safe (too aggressive in this city and you are dead meat) and haven't gone for a track day on the FZ- and may never do so either. If you do not plan to treat public streets as racetracks and don't plan on doing many track days, I feel the stock suspenders will be just fine.

YMMV.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Stock is "OK" for me after I set the fork springs to full preload and rebound damping, up to 8/10ths riding. I kept the shock at factory preload (midway) and one turn stiffer (I think) rebound. Those settings helped and remain comfortable, for me. Beyond that it's not as confidence inspiring as I'd like. I weigh 205 and am coming off a CBR954 as my last sport bike. The aspect I didn't factor in more than the suspension is the handlebar position: It's too far from the bike, preventing you from creating more mass centralization and feeling more "at one with" the bike, especially noticeable in tighter turns and quick transitions. But this is only bothersome at 9/10ths or higher riding for me. The rest of the time the riding position is more comfortable. Definitely a worthwhile tradeoff for me, as I'm getting older and don't want to ride at 9/10ths or above that often. :p With that said, the Ohlins shock and Andreani cartridge kit are on my floor waiting to be installed. Hey, the bike was a bargain and modding is fun, what can I say.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
if I where to upgrade the shocks. Where would I go Money is really no problem but would like to keep around 1000 and lower if possible I'd have to go online Due to my location

1 - 20 of 32 Posts