Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi we are just picking up our new fz-09 today. :) After reading through many of the suspension threads here we will most definitely need to upgrade the suspension. My human went on Racetech but they have no working calculator available for the rear spring there yet. My driver weighs 175lbs + gear, plus he ALWAYS carries 40 lbs which is centered directly over the rear wheel (me and my custom seat). It sounds as though the zx10 shock would probably be our best option if we can find one. Will we need to change the spring to something stiffer than the one on the zx10?

My driver assumes he should only add a small portion of my weight for the front spring calc (175+15=190lbs front), but he should add all my weight plus a little more for the rear spring calc because my weight is directly over the center of the rear wheel (175+40+10=225). He also looked up the Hayabusa spring rate as we saw someone mounted one but that spring appears to be very much stiffer than the one on the 08-10 zx10 shock. The zx6rr shock looks like a really great option, but it also looks like it is impossible to find one.

Perhaps someone has experience carrying ~40lbs of cargo on the back of their bike and can chime in? Our current bike is an Aprilia Dorsoduro 750 and that one works ok with the stock suspension. We also had an ex500 that we sold, but that bike required a substantial upgrade to the suspension. Anyway I better shove him out the door so he can go pick it up from the dealer now. Have a nice day.

Thanks,
Cecil the Rat Terrier

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I'm about 185 lbs gear up and when I went to the Smoky Mountains last summer I had my tail bag, saddle bags and tent bag. That should be at least 40 lbs.

I use the ZX10 shock amd the 9.1 kg/mm spring was enough for some moderate spirit riding on 28 & the Dragon. You cpuld play safe and go up to 9.4 kg/mm. 9.7 if you ride 2 up.

·
Registered
654 Posts
im 250 before gear and have hard bags on my fz, I guess it depends on the type of riding you do but if your cruising with your dog on the back the stock shock set to max preload and slowest dampening should be fine. my dog tends to freak out when hooligan things start to happen, although it could just be him. need to find a new set up as he got to big for the milk create, but here he is on my last bike while he was a pup
slash on the bike in doggles as a puppy.jpg

Reactions: Cecil

·
Registered
806 Posts
Welcome Cecil, My brother had a dog that would ride on just about any bike with a sissy bar. She would lean against the sissy bar and push with her paws on his back. That dog never fell off even on his buddy's z1 900 Kawi. going way past 100 mph.

She loved riding if he didn't take her she would whine & cry for an hour after he left! To get back to your question if you cant find a used shock you can always go with a Ohlin's or Penske they will come already adjusted with the right spring.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Love this post! Welcome to the club!

For everyday riding you can tune the FZ to be pretty good! I'm a little lighter than you at 160lbs. When I'm riding solo I set the rear preload to 5/7 and rebound to one full turn out from max. I leave it at this setting when I go grocery shopping (two bags in the topcase, a bag over the pillion, and a gallon of milk in each saddlebag=about 40lbs?). When I ride with my wife (total weight around 300lbs), all I do is crank the rear preload up to 6/7. Btw my front setup is 2 rings showing on the preload adjuster and a half turn out from full rebound.

Perhaps someone has experience carrying ~40lbs of cargo on the back of their bike and can chime in?

Thanks,
Cecil the Rat Terrier

Reactions: Cecil

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Let me be the first to say..........

"This thread has gone to the dogs"

Reactions: Cecil and River

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm about 185 lbs gear up and when I went to the Smoky Mountains last summer I had my tail bag, saddle bags and tent bag. That should be at least 40 lbs.

I use the ZX10 shock amd the 9.1 kg/mm spring was enough for some moderate spirit riding on 28 & the Dragon. You cpuld play safe and go up to 9.4 kg/mm. 9.7 if you ride 2 up.
Thank you Marthy, I think the zx10 shock might work well if I can find one that is not too expensive. I rode the bike home and the rear is not bad except for it feeling overly bouncy. The forks will def need heavier springs and oil, although i will try ratcheting up the preload first. My initial impression is to raise the seat an inch with extra padding and raise the front and rear of the bike 1/2 inch.

im 250 before gear and have hard bags on my fz, I guess it depends on the type of riding you do but if your cruising with your dog on the back the stock shock set to max preload and slowest dampening should be fine. my dog tends to freak out when hooligan things start to happen, although it could just be him. need to find a new set up as he got to big for the milk create, but here he is on my last bike while he was a pup
View attachment 14673
I bought the bike as a 2nd bike for some traveling, commuting, as well as spirited canyon riding when the Dorsoduro 750 is resting. I prefer that the suspension be tight rather than comfy. The FZ will be driven spirited, otherwise Cecil will complain - however we will not be doing any wheelies, endos, etc. :) Cecil has over 35k miles now and he is a speed junky and he enjoys full acceleration. If we get stuck behind someone going too slow for him he will bark incessantly until I pass them. We pass horse trailers on the freeway going 85+ mph and he barks at the horses that are inside as we pass them. He will sometimes bark when we lane split through traffic on the freeway to tell everyone to get out of his way. I seldom ride without him.

As for your dog, I make my own boxes as I have yet to find anything I like. They are made of oak plywood with padded interior panels bolted directly to the frame and painted with truck bedliner spray. He wears a harness with a backup clasp and his main tie down holds his back down so he must remain seated at all times - he cannot stand up. He has an additional tie down going from his harness to the back of his box, and a 3rd in the front going to his collar to keep him from sticking his head out too far when we lane split. his box on the Dorsoduro says "Paw Dragger" on the back, the FZ will say "Rocket Dog". :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

For everyday riding you can tune the FZ to be pretty good! I'm a little lighter than you at 160lbs. When I'm riding solo I set the rear preload to 5/7 and rebound to one full turn out from max. I leave it at this setting when I go grocery shopping (two bags in the topcase, a bag over the pillion, and a gallon of milk in each saddlebag=about 40lbs?). When I ride with my wife (total weight around 300lbs), all I do is crank the rear preload up to 6/7. Btw my front setup is 2 rings showing on the preload adjuster and a half turn out from full rebound.
Thank you, I will try adjusting it the stock suspension before I ride it again. I have 6.5 rings showing now on my preload adjuster and it looks like it sags an inch without me even being on it. I suspect the setup guy at the dealer did not even think about setting it up for my aprox weight...

·
Registered
654 Posts
sounds like cecil is a hoot, slash has a lets cruise riding personality, I can tell he misses it since he outgrew his box, he still gets excited every time I start a bike up. He is about 60 lbs now and still growing, im actually thinking of building a pull behind the bike trailer for him and my other dog that wont ride on the bike to ride in together

getting back to the suspension, im heavier than you, maxing out the preload and dampening on both ends of the stock suspension left me satisfied with the rear, but is not enough in the front. once I fix the front I may have to revisit the rear but for now the shock is light years better than the forks

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sounds like cecil is a hoot, slash has a lets cruise riding personality, I can tell he misses it since he outgrew his box, he still gets excited every time I start a bike up. He is about 60 lbs now and still growing, im actually thinking of building a pull behind the bike trailer for him and my other dog that wont ride on the bike to ride in together

getting back to the suspension, im heavier than you, maxing out the preload and dampening on both ends of the stock suspension left me satisfied with the rear, but is not enough in the front. once I fix the front I may have to revisit the rear but for now the shock is light years better than the forks
A 60 lb dog is quite heavy for a tall seat height. It might work with a low rider, otherwise a trailer or sidecar would be great :) I wanted to build a small dog sized sidecar for Cecil but they are useless here as lane splitting is pretty much mandatory if you want to get anywhere.

Actually Cecil started off slow - a month at 10mph max, then a couple months at 35mph. By the time we hit 65 he already rode for a couple thousand miles. I also take him on a lot of large group rides to get him accustomed to the high pitched revs of sportbikes. I think after he had about 10k miles under his tail the sky was the limit. Perhaps Slash does not have enough seat time to enjoy more spirited riding.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I just bought a low mileage 08-10 zx10r shock. From what I have read the spring will be too soft for my application so I will either have to put the 9.8 kg fz-09 spring on or get a stiffer spring. I am thinking that the 10.3 kg/mm off the 05-06 zx6rr shock would probably work well for my rear rider weight of 220 lbs. My fz-9 oem shock will be practically new with maybe only 100 miles on it, but what is it worth??? With all you guys shock swapping there will be 1000's of them available. We would be lucky to sell them for $10 each! :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)

I clamped down the fork preload today and set both front and rear damping 1 notch from full in. It is much, much better now, thank you :) This should get us by until I do the springs, oil, and zx10r shock upgrade.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts