Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I see alot of people don't like the stock suspension and want to replace the shock and forks right away. One thing I've noticed is no mention of changing the rear pull rods to change the aspect ratio of the rear link ,over the years I've done this to change the ride hight and how the shock works. Also I know that raising the fork tubes in the trees changes how the bike turns and how much weight is on the front and that effects how the fork works also. One last thing is I got my seat concepts seat today and it has made the shock feel better, if you plan on changing the seat I would do it before you buy a new shock so you will have a better idea of what you need. Honda was the first to engineer the seat as part of the suspension on there dirt bikes . Maybe triplethreat can answer my question as he seems to have alot of track time. RR:cool:

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
The thing with the 09 is you don't realize how bad it is until you fix the problems. yhrn you're like... no $hit! Much better now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree it needs some work but what I was wondering is why some simple things arn't tried.I do alot of setup on DR650s , the shock comes with 5wt oil just changing it to 15 wt changes the compression and rebound and the spring feels fine. Has anyone taken the shock apart and seen if revalving and a high quality oil of a different wt will work. For me the suspension is just ok, I just did a photo shoot and real world comparrison for city bike magizine with the street triple with standard susipison and it wasn't a whole lot better on the tight twisty roads in northern Calif. RR

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree the bike turns quick, what I was thinking was longer rods to drop the rear and that will move the shock more into the stroke. It feels to me that the shock has to much initial compression early and not enough farther down in the stroke. A thicker oil will have a huge effect on the pogo effect , 1/4 in in the length of the rods can have a big effect just my thoughts on future stuff to work on. RR:cool:

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
You can get a 2008-10 ZX-10 shock dirt cheap and improve the ride by a big bunch. I spend $65.00 on mine with triple adjusters. It totally transform the ride! Got some .85kg/mm fork springs with 10W oil and thats it. Suspension sort out for about $200.00! Hard brake lines with EBC HH pads finish the handling package... that was another $200.00, give and take.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Marthy, where did you get the zx10 shock ? sounds like a good way to go but I still want to play around with the pull rods when I have time. Right now its dirt riding season thanks RR:cool:

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Marthy, where did you get the zx10 shock ? sounds like a good way to go but I still want to play around with the pull rods when I have time. Right now its dirt riding season thanks RR:cool:
Weebay! LOL

·
Registered
730 Posts
If you consider the seat part of the suspension, especially on a dirt bike, you need to learn how to ride....

Hi guys I see alot of people don't like the stock suspension and want to replace the shock and forks right away. One thing I've noticed is no mention of changing the rear pull rods to change the aspect ratio of the rear link ,over the years I've done this to change the ride hight and how the shock works. Also I know that raising the fork tubes in the trees changes how the bike turns and how much weight is on the front and that effects how the fork works also. One last thing is I got my seat concepts seat today and it has made the shock feel better, if you plan on changing the seat I would do it before you buy a new shock so you will have a better idea of what you need. Honda was the first to engineer the seat as part of the suspension on there dirt bikes . Maybe triplethreat can answer my question as he seems to have alot of track time. RR:cool:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
It was easy. Shock off and new one back on took about 1 hr max. I posted few pics on my Marthy's built thread. Not really a how to but... there's 2 bolts... sort of very easy.
How did you do that with in an hour. It took me like 6...mainly to get the shock on and back in...not a lot of work but really awkward. Maybe i'm just an amateur lol. But it is very simple to do. Don't forget you have to drill out the hole on the bottom of the shock.

Reactions: marthy

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good morning Rich, on this forum there is no need to be RUDE were all in this togather, what I meen about the seat is a firm seat can make the bike feel stiffer and a soft seat will make the suspenison feel softer. And you are right I still have alot to learn even after 55 years of riding and racing everything under the sun I know I don't know everything but I'am trying to learn, thats what I like about this forum. Have a great day!!!! RR :cool:

·
Registered
657 Posts
I agree the bike turns quick, what I was thinking was longer rods to drop the rear and that will move the shock more into the stroke. It feels to me that the shock has to much initial compression early and not enough farther down in the stroke. A thicker oil will have a huge effect on the pogo effect , 1/4 in in the length of the rods can have a big effect just my thoughts on future stuff to work on. RR:cool:
From dealing with my track suspension setup, that sounds like it could be too light of a spring with the pre-load cranked up.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I've never heard this theory before. The seat is what keeps your butt comfortable, the shock is for keeping your rear tire in contact with the ground.

Do you just mean a different seat is softer for your butt?

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
How did you do that with in an hour. It took me like 6...mainly to get the shock on and back in...not a lot of work but really awkward. Maybe i'm just an amateur lol. But it is very simple to do. Don't forget you have to drill out the hole on the bottom of the shock.
I've been spinning wrenches for 25 years, most of it professionally. Hope I got some speed out of it! LOL

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I've never heard this theory before. The seat is what keeps your butt comfortable, the shock is for keeping your rear tire in contact with the ground.

Do you just mean a different seat is softer for your butt?
That make sense. Usually i wear diaper wen I go fast in case I $hit myself and I add preload to compensate for the soft spring rate of my cushy diaper. :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All I mean is this shock is terrible on pot holes and bumps and a seat with the correct foam for your weight will make a it a little better and the shape of the seat also helps. RR:cool:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts