Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I finally took my FZ-09 out to Palomar Mountain, and I quickly realized that the review were right: the suspension needs some work!
The bike did not feel like it was planted on the ground, and every crack in the corners made me think the bike was going to hop off it's line.

Unfortunately I don't know much about suspension work, so I was hoping that you guys could help me out.
I absolutely love this bike, and I am willing to invest some money in this, but I can't go too crazy.

About me: I'm a 160 pound rider, I've been riding for 9 years, and while I don't do track days I do love aggressive street riding.

What should I do?

1) Just tighten up the stock suspension.

I'm a light weight rider, but from what I have read I don't think this will be enough. :(

2) Replace the rear shock...

2A) ...just swap out the Penske Shock Spring?

Would just swapping out the spring be enough? (This would be a very cheap solution.)
Penske Shock Spring (Hyperco) from Stoltec

2B) ...with a Penske 8900E shock.

Everyone knows and loves this shock, and I think it would be enough for me without the clickers.
FZ-09 Penske 8900E Single Adjustable from Stoltec

3) Replace the front fork springs.

Being light weight, I am not sure that I need to change out the front springs, what do you guys think?
FZ-09 Linear Rate Fork Springs from Stoltec

4) Other?

Are there other options that I am not considering?​

I am thinking about starting with 2B...but what do you guys think?

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
165 Posts
The spring is about the only decent part of the rear shock; the issue is that there is very little damping. At your weight it might just be ok adjusting the rebound. Try it, it's free.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
The rear shock is 70% of the bike issues. The front it depend of your weight. There's plenty of shock available now with many options to fit about any budget. I'm using the ZX-10 shock and I can't see the end of it!

·
Registered
350 Posts
I agree that the rear shock is the weakest link. At your weight you might try a shock swap, Marthy is happy with the zx10 shock and you might try that for a cheap solution. He has all the skinny on which year would work best for you spring wise. And 10 weight oil in the forks might be all you need in the front.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'd echo the above two for the rear shock, but I will add that for the forks(unless you're getting cartridges) if you're going to get springs it'd only be an extra $200 and get the right fork re-valved, and it'd provide a considerably better ride.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I weigh the same as you.
Get rid of the rear shock and go with a better one.
I used a good one out of a 2001 Hayabusa I had here (triple clicker Elka with remote res), I just needed the next lighter spring down from stock and had to drill the clevis to 12mm.
You will need to make the pre load on the forks too hard to stop the dive and bounce but this may depend on how aggressive you are on the brakes.
I'm saving for a cartridge kit but you may well get away with just slipping better springs in the forks.
I tried the 10w oil and putting the correct volume of oil in (as opposed to the amount it came with, 400mil / tube) and it made a difference, maybe 50% better, but still not good enough to take to the twisties and be seriously happy.

Good luck, keep us up to date with what you decide to do.

·
Registered
165 Posts
increasing the preload will not prevent dive, merely alters ride height. you need to give the forks some compression damping, which they sadly lack; increasing the oil viscosity will help this.

fork bounce is reduced by increasing rebound damping, which actually does have an effect in the last 3/4 turn of adjustment. heavier oil will increase this range.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts