Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will be purchasing a new bike in a few weeks and I narrowed it down to the Street R or FZ-09. I know from reading reviews the biggest draw back to the FZ is the suspension. What options are there for a 210 lb rider?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, I'm going with Stoltec, flash, middle Penske (double clicker) and the top fork option.
I am still in Afghaistan for another few weeks and the Soltec site is blocked for some reason at work. I need to get to the USO and jump on their wifi to be able to look at prices for what the suspension and ecu is going to cost. Hopefully I can get everything from what I save on the Triumph (2k) , at least thats the plan.

·
Registered
186 Posts
$2k will get you the suspension upgrades and ecu flash, no problem and if you don't go for the most expensive suspension upgrade you'll have money left over for other 'stuff'...

·
Registered
233 Posts
If you can do the work yourself (changing the shock, fork springs and fork oil), you can get the suspension in shape with the emulsion shock- plus the ECU flash for the fueling issue- for under $1000. If you go for a higher-spec shock the price goes up from there. I would likely have been happy with the basic Penske shock but since I will be keeping the bike for a long time, and I'll be taking it to the track, it was worth a bit extra to go with the mid-level shock with adjustable low-speed compression and rebound damping.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yes, I like what Stuart says, the base Penske and fork spring/oil wt. change with ECU flash would probably be just fine and make this the bike it should have been from the factory. It is easy to get carried away with modding, however, that's some pretty good upgrade for under $1000..Mark

If you can do the work yourself (changing the shock, fork springs and fork oil), you can get the suspension in shape with the emulsion shock- plus the ECU flash for the fueling issue- for under $1000. If you go for a higher-spec shock the price goes up from there. I would likely have been happy with the basic Penske shock but since I will be keeping the bike for a long time, and I'll be taking it to the track, it was worth a bit extra to go with the mid-level shock with adjustable low-speed compression and rebound damping.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My extent on cars/bike is changing the oil. I will be sending everything to Soltec if I decide on the FZ. I hope taking the shock and forks apart will be an easy deal.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Will be purchasing a new bike in a few weeks and I narrowed it down to the Street R or FZ-09. I know from reading reviews the biggest draw back to the FZ is the suspension. What options are there for a 210 lb rider?
Make a pot of coffee, and type "Suspension" in the search box, and read all of the stuff that has been posted about suspension on here. Way to go on the purchase.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts