Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have asked many questions about the FZ and its capabilities quite a few times. I have to ask a couple more. For one statement, I'm going with the graves for sound and looks, Power Commander 5 for available maps and recommendations. If anyone can advise me in any other way please tell me, sincerely. What would someone do to the suspension to allow for even more easy power wheelies? I have been having less than desirable results on theses famous power wheelies and I thought setting the rear suspension to the softest level would allow the front to come up easier under power, and at slower speeds. Maybe a harder setting in the back would actually add to the power wheelie, I don't know. I have not tried to make any changes to the bike yet, but I'm possibly crazy enough to strap a weight to the back to see what would happen lol. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
220 Posts
You are correct that setting the suspension soft will bring the front end up easier, but you'll have less control. Typically, a more firm and compliant suspension is a more "Predictable" suspension. When you power up the front wheel with soft suspension, the rear will sag and POP the front end up. When the suspension is set up correctly, the bike will have a steady climb rather than a POP. If you're comfortable enough with you're riding ability try 2nd gear clutch ups. I'm a heavy guy (230lbs) and I have the pre-load set all the way up front and rear. When you are at appx. 6k in 2nd, pull in the clutch, blip the throttle, and abruptly release the clutch. When I say "blip" I mean bring the rpm's to 8000-8500. Any more than that it really comes up fast, any less it comes up about 6-12" and you can power it out. Again, I'm a bigger guy so I have to work the clutch and rpm's a little more than a smaller guy. Please do these "stupid squid tricks" in a safe environment. We all do them, just play safe and have fun. Start with a lower rpm and work your way up as you feel more confident.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
A mode, 7K RPM in second gear, whack the throttle..........oh, and BTW, cover the rear brake pedal! Read some of the other threads regarding this topic. This is without a doubt, one of the easiest bikes to wheelie that I've ever seen.

On a side note, I sincerely hope this thread lasts about 3 or 4 posts and then dies.

Reactions: ktk_ace
1 - 3 of 3 Posts