Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, new guy here but longtime lurker. The FZ-09 is my first streetbike after many years in the dirt and after a fee spirited rides I've figured out my biggest issue is wallowing in the turns. Deborah just never quite feels planted. I suppose part of it may be the alleged high tire pressure but I'm going to fiddle with the suspension. I know the front end is soft as it bottoms every time I set her down from a wheelie, but does anyone have some specific advice for alleviating the wallowing? I am astonished and what a few seconds of playing with the throttle has made the bike SOOO much better and if i can just alleviate the cornering woes (until i can upgrade actual components) I'll be stoked. Thanks and enjoy your '09s everybody!!!!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Get a Stoltech Moto Penske Shock. That's my plan. Stocker does not dampen enough and the bike pogo's. It's annoying with my weight (175 + gear) has to be much worse for heavier riders.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ha sorry yes I should. Bout 175 -180 geared up. Apologies for the horrific syntax and sentence structure in the first post, I was at work and should have been making reports and whatnot, so it was rushed. I have set up my MX bikes for years but the street is a different animal and I could really use some guidance.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Well if you've gone full hard on your suspension settings and are still dissatisfied, look at the Stoltec/Penske shock or the ZX6RR/ZX6R/ZX10R rear shock conversion. Stoltec would be the best. ZX would be the cheapest.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Start out by replacing the oil in your forks with something heavier like 7.5 weight. Heavier springs are the next up in cost effectiveness. The shock will be harder and more expensive.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey this is my first street bike, but have ridden mx a long time, had factory connection do my suspension. I do not know much about this street bike stuff , but I put 400 miles on the FZ-09 then went stiffer as the manual says and I noticed a huge improvement felt like a different bike. Man what a blast

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
The rear shock is undersprung and under damped for your weight at commuting speeds let alone cornering anywhere.

The rear shock is less of a shock and more of a spring at this point so it bounces around a lot. As it bounces it weights and unweights the rear tire, changing the amount of traction and thus allowing the rear to wallow.

As the rear spring bounces up and down it changes your steering angle relative to the ground and that causes the front end to wallow and wander.

Your forks are undersprung and under damped for your weight and allow too much movement and movement to go too fast as you ride. That makes the front end wallow and wander as well.

As the front end wanders and wallows it is pushing some of the weight of you and the bike back to the rear shock which in turn wallows as it oscillates in a vain attempt to settle the oscillation.

Wash rinse repeat cycle

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
We are about the same weight. Stoltec front end. GP piston kit and .90 kg/mm fork springs.

Rear I use the ZX-10 shock with a 9.4 kg/mm spring from racetech. If you can $$$, the Penskee is an excellent option.

Ask Nick, he will aim you in the right direction. Has for the fork... do it all at the same time. Stiffer springs only is ok but not great.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Motocrosser here, built many forks with Gold Valves from Race Tech, and had Steve Lutts with Factory Connection finally dial me in at Muddy Creek years ago.

Same basic principles, set sag with preload just like a dirt bike. Ton of DYI's on the Internet for street. I maxed mine out but still could not make the stock bike feel planted. The suspension is that bad. 200 lbs with gear on here.

The forks have sufficed with 10w Maxima and stiffer springs, but I had to put a Penske shock on the rear to get it to behave right in the corners. Some guys have been getting ZX10 shocks from eBay. I have Traxxion Dynamics fork cartridges to put in when I get the time. A GPR steering stabilizer calmed the front end down to Superbike standards for me.

So, it is going to take some money, but the payoff is going to be astronomical.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So I'm a noob here researching suspension, and I figure the Penske shock is the best option for the underdamped rear, but the front is what worries me. I LOVE sharp cornering. Will aftermarket coils and new oil weight fix the front fork? Or should I look at getting something else?

I currently ride a ZX-6R and I can't ride a bike without good handling.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Traxxion Dynamics cartridges and correct springs are the best option for the front end unless you are going to spend $2.5k and buy a full Ohlins fork.

There are several other options. Race Tech and Stoltec have developed front end packages as well.

If money is tight, start with proper springs for your weight (about $100) and then experiment with 7.5 or 10 wt fork oil to get the damping rates closer to a usable range.

Stock springs are set up for about 130-140lb rider.

Reactions: drbyers

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
check out Dave Moss videos no youtube, he breaks down suspension setup / tire wear pretty good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Traxxion Dynamics cartridges and correct springs are the best option for the front end unless you are going to spend $2.5k and buy a full Ohlins fork.

There are several other options. Race Tech and Stoltec have developed front end packages as well.

If money is tight, start with proper springs for your weight (about $100) and then experiment with 7.5 or 10 wt fork oil to get the damping rates closer to a usable range.

Stock springs are set up for about 130-140lb rider.
130-140 lbs?? My 12-year-old weighs that much. What was Yamaha thinking!? lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts