Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my heart has been set on an FZ-09 for a couple months now, but I recently saw a Superduke 990. I ride with a group of 1000s but also use my bike to commute. I would like something that I can keep up with the guys on, but also be able to enjoy around town on my own. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
If the FZ09 can't keep up with a liter bike, it's the rider, not the bike. They are too close in useable performance, for the bike itself to even matter on the street.

I don't know your background, but you shouldn't choose a motorcycle to keep up with anyone, the question is, can you keep up with the bike you choose.

I'd vote 09, since it sounds like you want a bike that will be friendly in every day riding. Cost of ownership will be less. Insurance less. Dealer support will be infinitely more accessible...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I completely agree with that you shouldn't choose a bike to keep up with anyone. I'm currently riding a 250 and can keep up with the group through any twisties, but it drives me crazy on straights being a league behind. Bottom line though, I just need an upgrade :)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
If the FZ09 can't keep up with a liter bike, it's the rider, not the bike. They are too close in useable performance, for the bike itself to even matter on the street.

I don't know your background, but you shouldn't choose a motorcycle to keep up with anyone, the question is, can you keep up with the bike you choose.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Trying to keep up with my buddies is the wrong reason to choose a bike...and if you do this...you will get hurt.

·
Registered
192 Posts
If you are worried about performance, dont. The fz09 has plenty enough to keep up with anything on the street.

The brilliance here, in this thread, was posted by Fizzerpilot. Odds are, you could buy a new fz09 with the money saved in "ownership costs". And, god be with you if you ever experience a service problem on the KTM. I lost all faith in the brand, years ago. I needed a piston for my 1997 sx250. I went to the dealer. He looks it up and says, "Wow! They really dont support bikes that old...we'll have to go with a Wiseco." No problem, but the year was 2001, and the bike was four years old.

Its been a while, and I'm sure things have improved. However, I'll see it happen on someone else's dollar.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Its way to easy to speed with this bike. I'll be merging onto the highway at half throttle checking my mirrors and looking ahead, when I finally get around to checking my speed, i'm in triple digits and this is just in std mode. Whoops :)

Think about the whole package, I don't know how much the super dude weighs but this bike is only 414lbs wet. I had an sv650 before this that was half as fast and 50lbs heavier. The weight of this bike combined with the engine is what makes it a blast. I've never felt the control I feel with the fz.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
The 990 and FZ09 are pretty well matched in performance and weight. The 990 is a little more of a beast, but the price you pay for that is dear. 12-24 months from now, you'd wish you had made the decision that you knew was right all along, and that is the 09.

Your wrist will have to learn control that it has never needed before... The difference in the 09 and a 250 is night and day. At 1/4 throttle on the 09 you will be exceeding the performance of the 250 at WOT.

You won't worry about keeping up with your friends, you will be more worried about keeping up with this bike.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
The 990 and FZ09 are pretty well matched in performance and weight. The 990 is a little more of a beast, but the price you pay for that is dear. 12-24 months from now, you'd wish you had made the decision that you knew was right all along, and that is the 09.

Your wrist will have to learn control that it has never needed before... The difference in the 09 and a 250 is night and day. At 1/4 throttle on the 09 you will be exceeding the performance of the 250 at WOT.

You won't worry about keeping up with your friends, you will be more worried about keeping up with this bike.
I had a hard time finding pricing for the Duke - the only price I could find was in pounds which translated to about $15k usd. Seems insane.

Also, I don't know how bigger displacement helps with highway buzz but my SV vtwin buzzed like a mofo at 70mph. The triple on the fz is so much smoother.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
192 Posts
Fizzerpilot, in 12-24 months, we'll all be kicking our own asses. You KNOW Yamaha has other versions of this bike in the plans, and I'll bet we want those instead.

BUT, thats what makes this bike such a deal. Its low initial price makes selling it in a year or two possible. You wont take THAT much of a beating....Oh yea, try THAT on your KTM.

Oh, I do want a KTM rc390. THAT look fun. Then again, It will be fz 09 money....so how can you?

The fz09 is priced 500.00 below their own yz 450f. How can that even be possible?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mines for sale and its plenty fast. Havent used up the first tank of fuel yet. Its VERY powerful and I too was seduced by the look of the superduke 990, one sexy machine. The FZ will be cheaper to own and has the ability to scare you silly quick. Riding in B-mode(calmest) friday, 25MPH in first and I grabbed a handful of throttle, instantly I was looking straight up. I let off and dropped the front back down and hit it again. BOOM! it was right back up. Finally after 3 tries to accelerate from 25mph at 90% throttle I just buzzed away at half throttle and still was up to 75 in less than 3 seconds. Make you a deal and it comes with a 5 year extended factory warranty and no sales tax.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Mines for sale and its plenty fast. Havent used up the first tank of fuel yet. Its VERY powerful and I too was seduced by the look of the superduke 990, one sexy machine. The FZ will be cheaper to own and has the ability to scare you silly quick. Riding in B-mode(calmest) friday, 25MPH in first and I grabbed a handful of throttle, instantly I was looking straight up. I let off and dropped the front back down and hit it again. BOOM! it was right back up. Finally after 3 tries to accelerate from 25mph at 90% throttle I just buzzed away at half throttle and still was up to 75 in less than 3 seconds. Make you a deal and it comes with a 5 year extended factory warranty and no sales tax.
You tried 3 times to twist the grip 9/10ths of the way round in 1st gear at 25mph? You need to take a serious step down for your next bike. Just sayin..

Sent via Tapatalk.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Yeah, you're lucky you didn't wreck it...the FZ requires more finesse than that to ride. I don't think I've ever had mine WOT...especially in 1st gear...you should try riding around in 3rd...you might find it easier to handle

·
Registered
570 Posts
You tried 3 times to twist the grip 9/10ths of the way round in 1st gear at 25mph? You need to take a serious step down for your next bike. Just sayin..

Sent via Tapatalk.
Yep, that approach to throttle control may have worked on a Harley but it certainly isn't advisable on almost any modern performance bike.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Gosh...that's a neat video...that bike has a pretty cool sound...still prefer the FZ though. Very cool...naked hooligan bikes FTW

·
Registered
44 Posts
That Super Duke looks amazing. Nobody needs that bike, even my friend that has a down payment on the first on into the area. (Whenever that is...)
@Super8 I wish we weren't across the continent.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts