Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Do any of you guys have a Super Tenere and know if the wheels will directly replace the stock rims?
If not, do you have any idea what spoked 17-19" combo rims might fit with little modification?
I am probably not the only person thinking of building a MINI Tenere here. Being a shorter than average person I touch the ground well on the FZ-09 and welcome the light weight and power. I personally think it is an excellent platform for an Adventure bike despite the short travel suspension and low ground clearance. The exhaust can be addressed easy enough and a skid plate fabricated. Maybe by next year some aftermarket folks will see the potential too and I can just buy what I want.

·
Registered
111 Posts
As I like to get off the beaten track a little my first thought was to have a play with the 09 and build it for some dirt work, ground clearance and suspension travel are the biggest hurdles but with enough cash that can be overcome.

After looking over my bike last night I think I will turn it into a bobber instead.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I've seen others speculate that Yamaha may build an adventurer around the FZ-09 engine. You guys can beat them to the punch. If you do it, lots of pics. Sounds kind of cool.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Tenere' is a shaft drive. Not sure the rear wheel offsets are the same as the FZ-09.
Oh shoot,,, I didn't think about the shaft drive.
Hmmm, I wonder if my DR650 rear wheel will fit.

·
Registered
87 Posts
jdrocksninja.jpg
These kinds of bikes can be pretty cool and the FZ-09 would definitely be adaptable to such mods and use. Making an ADV bike out of a sporty bike is a niche that mostly owners have done themselves to create this kind of bike. Search web for even an R1 with knobbies.

Hepco & Becker have a skidplate and a centerstand that would protect the whole underside and exhaust and certainly get you on your way of achieving such a bike. All that would be needed is to get a bit more suspension travel and or ride height to make a pretty cool ADV fire road capable bike. For the back and aftermarket shock and or linkages could raise ride height but not really increase travel, on the front I'm not sure if other suitable forks would fit to match the height on the back and possibly increase travel.The stock ones can't be raised any more then they are stock only lowered. But if your on the shorter side you probably don't want to raise your bike. But forget the suspension and different wheels even and just put TKC,80 knobbies on the stock wheels as these come in sportbike sizes. May not last very long if you use a lot of torque on the street but sure would be fun on forest service roads.

The picture above is of JDROCKS Ninja 650 that was converted. Why didn't he just buy a Versys? Who knows but this is way cooler anyway. Buell headlights and lot's of Versys parts actually as he did change the front wheel size and forks and some custom fabbing was used to make this bike. Having the Versys based on Ninja 650 did make things easier. But if Yamaha does do an ADV bike on the FZ frame then a lot of those parts will make such a build easier. I've seen JD in WV in places where normally only KLR's and the like usually venture to and he's done trips all over remote parts of Canada on this set up, no skidplate even but it's mostly a gravel road runner. The 650 of course is not as powerful as our FZ so such a bike would actually be more fitting on the FZ-07 to make a sporty low to the ground ADV type bike. Let us know if you build one!:eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have read all of JDROCKS builds and they are awesome. He uses crashed Ninjas cause they are cheap. most of his builds are under $2500
I'm dreaming right now, no funds, no skills, love the bike the way it is and I also love my DR650 so it is just a thought for now.
Someday, sigh........

·
Registered
186 Posts
Dreaming is good Gary as I've been dreaming along those same lines but may just wait and see if Yamaha's next -09 model is a bit easier to convert if it isn't what we have in mind already. I actually turned down an -09 this past Monday, didn't even ask the dealer who called what his OTD price would be. I think maybe I'll just wait for the 2015 models and maybe there'll even be a decision to send the -07 to the States as I think it may make an even better and lighter platform to start with for my idea of an ADV bike. I still may end up with a triple but not as soon as originally thought. Mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts