Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently have a very nice A* leather jacket but it is too hot for my AZ temps... Any A* recommendations for a summer riding jacket?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I just got the GP-R from A*. It's leather, but it's perforated everywhere possible. My last A* jacket was not perforated nearly as much and it was brutally hot last summer...

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I have the same (jaws perf) - just bought an astars Viper air jacket in black and high viz. I actually like the comparable Rev it at the same price point but went astars so I can use the same back protector.

Fits great but still waiting to test it out once I get my seat back. Being textile and mesh I noticed a different right away in weight alone just when putting it on.

Sent from my phone and my autocorrect sucks

·
Registered
91 Posts
The textiles are cooler than perf leather but they drive me crazy with the flapping, I've never been able to find one that doesn't flap.

Next summer I'll be grabbing a fully perforated leather jacket. It'll be interesting to see what you find.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a First Gear textile jacket that i absolutely love for summer weather. Good price, fits well, and is holding up after a year and a half of hard use. Has a nice liner to pull out for when it does get slightly chilly. If I had to do it all over again I would buy it in a heartbeat. No flapping.
Firstgear Mesh Tex Jacket - RevZilla

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I bought a lot of icon stuff when I first started riding. I personally think you get what you pay for. Minimal protection and really poor quality. Just my experience though.

Sent from my phone and my autocorrect sucks

·
Registered
957 Posts
In my experience a full perf leather suit or jacket is just fine in any heat as long as:

A) You keep moving, and

B) You're wearing nothing underneath but an appropriate base layer that is moisture wicking, such as an underarmour workout shirt.

However if that is not an option, I like those hybrid Leather/Mesh jackets. At the moment the best ones on the market are the RS Taichi model (forget the name) and the Icon Sanctuary. Alpinestars used to make a great one called the Alloy but they discontinued it a couple years back. See if you can find one on Ebay.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yeah I live here in AZ too and unless you have continually ridden in this extreme heat it's very hard to understand just how crazy it is. 115 degree heat weather you are moving or not is like a blast furnace. I have this one right now and it's ok, but the back gets very hot due to the back protector.Dainese Air-3 Textile Jacket - RevZilla

Now what am seriously thinking of doing is buying this Rukka jacket made of cordura that supposedly flows air better then anything out on the market short of mesh with no armor. It ain't cheap, but might worth a look
.Rukka AiRider Jacket - RevZilla

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yeah I live here in AZ too and unless you have continually ridden in this extreme heat it's very hard to understand just how crazy it is. 115 degree heat weather you are moving or not is like a blast furnace. I have this one right now and it's ok, but the back gets very hot due to the back protector.Dainese Air-3 Textile Jacket - RevZilla

Now what am seriously thinking of doing is buying this Rukka jacket made of cordura that supposedly flows air better then anything out on the market short of mesh with no armor. It ain't cheap, but might worth a look
.Rukka AiRider Jacket - RevZilla
I use the Rev'IT Tornado Jacket REV'IT! Tornado Jacket - RevZilla

It actually flows really good..... 115F is like the pits of hell though, not sure how well anything is going to work in that weather :p

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
In my experience a full perf leather suit or jacket is just fine in any heat as long as:

A) You keep moving, and

B) You're wearing nothing underneath but an appropriate base layer that is moisture wicking, such as an underarmour workout shirt.

However if that is not an option, I like those hybrid Leather/Mesh jackets. At the moment the best ones on the market are the RS Taichi model (forget the name) and the Icon Sanctuary. Alpinestars used to make a great one called the Alloy but they discontinued it a couple years back. See if you can find one on Ebay.
I'm sure it gets hot by you but i think the OP is in Arizona where temps get hotter than any thing we ever see in the north east. I can tolerate my leather perf jacket up until 80 degrees - after that even with the right under shirt on i'm still dying - even with replenishing fluids frequently - it can still be dangerous to ride (light headedness /fatigue/loss of concentration etc).

Textile jacket assumes more risk but in my opinion that risk is balanced with being comfortable while remaining somewhat protected.

I can't imagine having leathers on in 100+ heat.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I'm sure it gets hot by you but i think the OP is in Arizona where temps get hotter than any thing we ever see in the north east. I can tolerate my leather perf jacket up until 80 degrees - after that even with the right under shirt on i'm still dying - even with replenishing fluids frequently - it can still be dangerous to ride (light headedness /fatigue/loss of concentration etc).

Textile jacket assumes more risk but in my opinion that risk is balanced with being comfortable while remaining somewhat protected.

I can't imagine having leathers on in 100+ heat.
Where I live now it doesn't get that hot, but I grew up in South Florida where it does get much hotter. Not quite to 115, but we've seen 105 or so, and it gets MUCH MUCH MUCH more humid than AZ. So I can relate.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Where I live now it doesn't get that hot, but I grew up in South Florida where it does get much hotter. Not quite to 115, but we've seen 105 or so, and it gets MUCH MUCH MUCH more humid than AZ. So I can relate.
not to thread jack -but what base layers do you prefer?

·
Registered
957 Posts
not to thread jack -but what base layers do you prefer?
I use the Psycleskinz base layer and I ride with a one piece perf leather suit whenever weather doesn't require prepping for rain or cooler weather. In anything below the high 70s I actually feel pretty cool, sometimes cold, with that setup.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yeah I made the mistake of taking the kids to Disney World in Orlando in the middle of August. That was like nothing I have ever seen....about 2pm the sky started getting thick and the air was like mustard gas and the hair just started dripping. It was a scene....and on a full face helmet I can only imagine how crazy that is. AZ heat stings. Florida heat suffocates.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I've got the Alpinestars Viper Air Textile Jacket it works awesome.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts
I just got the icon hooligan jersey style jacket and I really like it. It's actually cooler than wearing a tshirt standing in the sun. The air flow is as if you're wearing nothing and it comes with D30 armor back, shoulders and forearm/elbow plates.
I grabbed the spaztyk hooligan one to go with the hooligan/motard theme of the bike..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts