Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it my imagination or have a big handful of '09's been put up For Sale since January 1st....???

It seems like every few days someone's got a FZ09 For Sale, asking $6800, 7200, 7800....Assorted states represented and so far membership here was brief.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
There can be many reasons why... the first of the new year people tend to question aspects of their life. Is this bike really for me? Can I afford to keep/insure it? Sometimes you buy on impulse and don't get what you expect. Sometimes it's just poor timing with financial/family pressures. Etc...

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Since I broke my first one, my second one is almost ready. Well, it's a company bike, so its really my bosses second one.
That lives at my house.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Just wanted to say, that the insurance coverage for my first year of ownership was $649.

My renewal rate was $1,700.00.

That might have something to do with it....

·
Registered
857 Posts
$1700?? that is insane! I would have to relook at this hobby if my rates were that high. I pay less that $600 a year for three bikes.

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My bike is definately not for sale. I do have high ins too but 1700? Either GEICO is doing that GEICO thing or you had a claim..

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
OK people.

I had a no-fault claim (other driver was found 100% at fault) back in 2000. I have almost 20 years continuous riding experience, and have ridden more miles than most folks will in an entire lifetime... yet here I am.

I don't have Geico, and I've spent countless hours... no... days and weeks.... trying to find a lower rate. Point fingers all you want. It is what it is.

Seriously, until Yamaha and Honda can reach a deal with an insurance companies like Kawasaki did (basically subsidizing rates) insurance rates are going to spiral out of control.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Does CA require you to have insurance that covers collision on your bike?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Its called Tax Season. Some have to sell there toys to pay the man.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
OK people.

I had a no-fault claim (other driver was found 100% at fault) back in 2000. I have almost 20 years continuous riding experience, and have ridden more miles than most folks will in an entire lifetime... yet here I am.

I don't have Geico, and I've spent countless hours... no... days and weeks.... trying to find a lower rate. Point fingers all you want. It is what it is.

Seriously, until Yamaha and Honda can reach a deal with an insurance companies like Kawasaki did (basically subsidizing rates) insurance rates are going to spiral out of control.
That seriously sucks. Is it a CA thing? I have less years riding experience than you, esp in the US. Geico and the usual suspects were way too high- till I used a broker who got a better rate on Dairyland than I did online, and I got just a tick above $1000 for the year for pretty much full coverage. They reduced by about $100 odd this year. Owning homes, other property etc reduces it further- I am guessing that's how people are getting their lower rates, apart from years of riding.

What's the deal about Kawasaki and insurance cos? Something I missed?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
a lot of us in the NE are lucky to have dairyland and rider which in my experience, have always been significantly cheaper than the big guys.

My SV650 on progressive was only $100 to ensure - just comprehensive - no collision. When i bought the FZ that jumped to $900 (comprehensive + collision) - i have my house and 2 cars through them and i'm a diamond member (had their insurance on my car for over 10 years and i have a clean record - no accidents etc. (knock on wood)

I switched to riders and now paying under $400. Unfortunately these options are not available to Cali riders and i think rates there are just higher given:

1. traffic congestion is insane (i thought NJ was bad but driving out there several times - it makes NJ traffic look like a deserted highway).
2. year round riding (I can say for sure but i think insurance companies in areas where winter occurs have to take that into account but i'm not sure)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Wow going through this right now with a friend. I am lucky that I am under my fathers insurance but that will be switching quite soon after the quote I just received. I pay(through my fathers insurance), $350 for 3 different bikes, my fz09, my Husqvarna SM610, and my brothers CBR1000 Repsol.. Thats with out collision but with comprehensive coverage. I was quoted the same amount but with out my bro's 1000. My friend is looking to sell his R6 and get a new one and his first quote was $1900 for insurance!!! Holy crap.. He tried elsewhere and they offered around $500.. he will be financing too.. When I told him that I traded my 08 CBR600 in for the fz and only had to pay $21 more on my premium he flipped... I also had a speed infraction and an accident which I was not at fault for.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Bike theft is high in SF. Plus, all the noobs that buy this bike as a first bike and bin it. I've already read of (1) fatality crash and countless other crashes involving this bike.

If my insurance skyrockets as LD's did I might consider selling.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
A good friend was an insurance broker, and you insurance rate can change just by where you live within a city. They have all there factors that they check, area you live, the category your bike falls into, engine displacement, is your bike considered a high risk theft item, does it have a bad crash history, do you ride it to work or is it for pleasure use only, how many miles will you be riding it each year, how long have you had your motorcycle license, did you take a motorcycle drivers safety course, have you had any previous crashes or claims, etc., etc., etc..... Oh and bundling you bike, vehicle and home insurance should get you a bit of a discount. If it doesn't, then it is time to shop around. Plus some companies offer group insurance rates to their employees, another good way to save.

Another item they don't often tell you is that you can get an insurance break if your bike has a security alarm with a minimum number of features. Like the alarm plus ignition disabler and motion sensor and/or disk lock. Each company may have minimum requirements, so you have to check, but having an alarm installed that meets their requirements can save you quite a bit of money. Also the amount of coverage you have makes a big difference, if you are willing to take the chance you can get just the bare minimum insurance, but you better have a good spot to park your bike every night, like a locked garage.

And doing a quick Google search, Dairyland Insurance appears to be in California.

https://www.dairylandinsurance.com/...a;jsessionid=05D517BD0E36333C8DCCE40635E636CA

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
I've been thinking about maybe selling mine, but if I do, it will have to be in the coldest part of winter.......you know, "When H€!! freezes over" :cool:

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Insurance is hard to compare because of all the factors. I use Progressive and have since I started riding, but Dairyland is another good option to look into if it's available in your area.

I think some of the recent "for sale" could be due to the FJ09 release. I know I've considered making the switch.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was in a serious car accident due to someone running a red light and hitting a car dead-on which spun that car into my lane and I T-Boned them. The judge thee the book at the driver who ran the light and caused the accident. Long story short, I used MY auto PIP coverage for all my medical bills and my company paid for my car repairs, undoubtedly being reimbursed by the other ins company.

My coverages costs jumped, and after shopping around I found half the insurers in Florida won't touch me "because" I used the PIP (medical coverage) even though the entire accident was unavoidable and Not my fault. Nice Insurance System we've got here in America. It's second only to our unmanageable Health Care System.:(

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Another big reason for all the sudden bikes for sale could be from these crazy falling gas prices and people getting laid off or they are scared they might get laid off, so it's time to dump the toys and get rid of the extra payments. :(

Reactions: Brvt1000

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
sorry to hear of your accident Steve. Our insurance system (auto or health) seems to screw those who follow the rules and rewards the idiots.

The worst part is it won't change regardless of who's in office - there are too many lobbyists spending way too much to get what they want - it really doesnt matter what party is running our country - the guys with the money are running everything behind the scenes but that's a debate that doesn't need to be had.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts