Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 XSR900 with an Akra Carbon full system, a PCV, and the Akra Carbon map.

recently have been experiencing an issue where, when accelerating moderately, or cruising at 20-30% throttle (as I often do in city traffic), the engine seems to cut out / hiccup / stutter / hesitate. It doesn't happen at high speeds, or at revs above 6000rpm. the best way to describe it, is it feels like I suddenly let off and then re-engaged the throttle, but I didn't.

There are a few threads on the FZ/MT-09 side of this board mentioning it. One lists the fix as disconnecting the O2 sensor (thus disabling "eco" mode), and the other lists the fix as needing to clean the APS and TPS connectors.

The thread mentioning the O2 sensor is from 2014, and i'm not sure if it applies to the XSR900. I went in yesterday to inspect the APS and TPS connectors. Couldn't get to the TPS connector without removing the Airbox, but the APS was completely clean with no corrosion. Threw some dielectric grease on the connector just for good measure, but it didn't have any affect on the issue.

some people seem to think this has to do with the bike going in and out of "eco" mode. I can't say for sure if that's what's happening for me, but it's definitely been in eco mode when the issue occurs. I'm usually busy watching the road lol.

I'm hesitant to disconnect the O2 sensor and make the MPG even worse with this bike's peanut sized tank.

Anyone else have any experience with this issue? Any recommendations? can I tune around it with the PCV? Should I take it in to get new APS and TPS sensors? should I just deal with it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
What mode?
Mileage?
Recently serviced?
Eco isn't a 'mode' btw, just means you're using small throttle openings and you're saving the lesbian whales/polar bear/penguins/planet.
Disconnect the lambda and see what happens!

·
Registered
91 Posts
yeah, I would not consider disconnecting things a "fix" How many miles? I would be more concerned with spark plugs / wires

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This seems to happen in any combination of Riding mode and TC mode.
I need to double check, but it's at less than 10k miles. I got it with ~6000mi during the pandemic and I haven't put too many miles on it since.

I also rode it yesterday and it ran totally smoothly. If it keeps cropping up, I'll go in to check the plugs, wires, etc.

·
Registered
2015 FZ 09
143 Posts
I went through this recently on my FZ.... here are things that helped:

• Lubed throttle cables.
  • Replaced front sprocket (old was pretty worn).
  • Repositioned the accelerator position sensor by a couple of degrees so it eases on better. Thread: Fix Choppy Throttle

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went through this recently on my FZ.... here are things that helped:

• Lubed throttle cables.
  • Replaced front sprocket (old was pretty worn).
  • Repositioned the accelerator position sensor by a couple of degrees so it eases on better. Thread: Fix Choppy Throttle
I had come across that thread and video. I don't think the XSR has the same Diag mode as the FZ. I do have an OBD reader, so maybe I can see it that way.

I'm unclear what the guy in that video is going for though. the APS tops out at 101 in the beginning of the video, is the goal to get it lower? is it to get the APS and TPS ranges as close to each other as possible?

·
Registered
2015 FZ 09
143 Posts
The goal is to just reduce the number by 2 or 3 points, the lower number is the lowest throttle input, when it isn't being turned, and the higher number is the full throttle. You want to reduce both (both numbers move when you adjust the sensor) just a couple points and it just reduces how quickly the gas comes on from 0 input to any input.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Do you feel the stuttering or just hear it? My bone-stock 2018 kinda stutters as you describe, but it's more of an auditory thing that a driveability issue.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is definitely more than that. I completely lost power and get a full engine break for a second when it happens

·
Registered
232 Posts
This may sound odd but, my bike started having random running issues. If I stopped for fuel and the bike was hot, when trying to start it it'd need more cranking over than usual and was running a bit rough at idle. Later the battery died and when I replaced it, no more odd running issues. Could just be a coincidence but...

·
Registered
727 Posts
This may sound odd but... ...the battery died and when I replaced it, no more odd running issues.
Not odd at all. Makes sense. A sudden demand for power coupled with a slowly dying battery could cause stutters until the charging system picks up the slack. Good catch here, OP should check the health of the battery.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Of course, now that I’ve been doing a ton of research on the issue, it’s completely stopped happening.

the bike must have read this post.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Well, if it's reading this... then the beatings shall continue until morale improves.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Try riding without Traction Control turned on and you can eliminate or possibly point at it as the cause.

Reactions: MK3Brent
1 - 15 of 15 Posts