Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

Registered
Staying here thanks, just curious what others at age 54 are doing with their 09's馃
I'm 56 and my idea of stunting is turning off traction control and powering thru the corners with a little scoot of the rear with a 65 degree lean wheelie finish. Other than that its shifting 3 gear wheelies starting in 2nd or clutching 3rd at 65mph and holding the wheel up til 90mph. That usually fills my adrenaline tanks.

Registered
Many yrs ago I had a 1972 Ducati 750 that was done up nicely and I flipped the bastard over while doing wheelies...my wheelies are now never over 12" high. Im 65 yrs old and if I wad its gonna REALLY hurt and take a LONG time to heal 馃榿! I must admit though I have been thinking about grabbing another set of wheels, studding up some knobbies and getting sideways on the ice with the fz! Does that count as stunting?

Registered
Many yrs ago I had a 1972 Ducati 750 that was done up nicely and I flipped the bastard over while doing wheelies...my wheelies are now never over 12" high. Im 65 yrs old and if I wad its gonna REALLY hurt and take a LONG time to heal 馃榿! I must admit though I have been thinking about grabbing another set of wheels, studding up some knobbies and getting sideways on the ice with the fz! Does that count as stunting?
Abso f'ing lutely. I used to watch ice racing in Anchorage when I was a kid. All the cars had studded tires in winter anyway but I remember the bikes where they would put about 2-3 screws in per knobbie. That flip only happened because you didn't master the rear brake during the wheelie. Neither have I really. I just keep it below balance point and keep grabbing gears. No Nooners for me. That's just asking for trouble but I have hit the occasional floater and covered the brake. You can't accelerate in that position so I'm not that interested in it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #24
I'm 56 and my idea of stunting is turning off traction control and powering thru the corners with a little scoot of the rear with a 65 degree lean wheelie finish. Other than that its shifting 3 gear wheelies starting in 2nd or clutching 3rd at 65mph and holding the wheel up til 90mph. That usually fills my adrenaline tanks.
Haha! Yeah, that is AWESOME!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #25
Works for me!!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #26
Abso f'ing lutely. I used to watch ice racing in Anchorage when I was a kid. All the cars had studded tires in winter anyway but I remember the bikes where they would put about 2-3 screws in per knobbie. That flip only happened because you didn't master the rear brake during the wheelie. Neither have I really. I just keep it below balance point and keep grabbing gears. No Nooners for me. That's just asking for trouble but I have hit the occasional floater and covered the brake. You can't accelerate in that position so I'm not that interested in it.
Mastering the balance point IS really where its at.... (y)

Registered
Last time i did a wheelie i ended up smacking the back of my head against the handles on the drawers behind me............gravity won that day 馃槀馃ぃ馃槀馃ぃ

Registered
Peabrain - I think we all have a bit of a peabrain when it comes to a normal fear factor. But we like freedom more than fear of harming ourselves.

Registered
Met these acrobat twins at a Yamaha Demo Day. They said they have never changed out the clutch's on there FZ's and had reduced engine power by 40% ??? There FZ's were ABUSED and the show is not over till the rear tire is BURNT!

Registered
Discussion Starter #36
Found a kit to "splice" into a rear master off of a 2000 R1 so I didn't have to put a new rotor,two calipers and a bracket...works well!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts