Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Stunt Rider Bill Dixon on FZ-09

15K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Mothy 
#1 · (Edited)
Earlier today, my youngest daughter (who now has the CRF100F) and I stopped in Hagerstown, Maryland. Hagerstown's Bike Week included a Yamaha motorcycle stunt show at Twigg Cycles, where I purchased my FZ-09. We had never seen such a show in person and decided on a moment's notice to ride there on the Morphous. Turned out to be a great idea! The show was fantastic with lots of uninterrupted action.

The show included many Yamaha motorcycle models, and the FZ-09 was one of the stars. My daughter served as the videographer, using my cell phone which was all I had available. The following five photographs are cropped screen captures from the video...

The FZ-09's show segment, much reduced in resolution with software here at home, and from where the five screen captures above originated, appears here...

Edit... *** Please see post #8 for the video previously linked here on YouTube ***

After the show, Olivia and I had a very pleasant conversation with Bill Dixon, the tour's operator and primary performance rider. He seemed a decent, down to earth guy. I was fascinated with how his show uses so many Yamaha models, and mentioned starting on a maxi-scooter and appreciating how the Zuma scooter rider worked the crowd from the saddle while performing stunts in another part of the show. He told me that was him. Originally, I had no idea who he was and he doubtless picked up on that, but he didn't give the slightest indication of disappointment. I know now. He represents Yamaha very well.

And Olivia, my previously reluctant but increasingly enthusiastic rider, informed me we are going back to next year's show. Fine with me! Even in hi-res, the video doesn't come close to fully capturing the show's atmosphere.

See less See more
#2 ·
Awesome!

#3 ·
Thanks for sharing. We all appreciate it.

#14 ·
I was there too. It was a pretty awesome show / demo. The things Bill could do on a Tenere and V-Max was insane.
We must have been standing only a few feet apart, each of us unaware of the others' presence at the show! ;)
My daughter was standing on top seat of the metal bleachers and had a great view. Much of the time, I was holding her so she could keep her balance and shoot the video.

You're right, though. Some of the stunts he performed on motorcycles such as the V-Max were awesome.

#17 ·
wonder if he smacks the oil pan doing those bunny-hops. looked like he was getting maximum travel out of his suspension...

#20 · (Edited)
Nothing really new about the thread topic here. I have been learning how to create animated GIFs from video files.
This is my first posted animated GIF, Bill Dixon riding his FZ-09, images cut and cropped from the original in post #8.
The first run-through may be somewhat slow, but soon after the images display at the intended speed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.