Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed graves LEDs front and rear.. I added blinker genies to the rear so that install was a little trickier.. The fronts however are plug and play..

I got everything together on the front and front marker lights wouldnt come on. I checked fuses nothing blown. So I disassembled the front again..
Plugged in the stock lights = everything works.
Plug in the graves LEDs = no marker lights and signals don't work anywhere on the bike.
Plug the same led into the rear connection and the led works properly.

What am I missing here??

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Any resistors installed? ...replace the stock blinker relay?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blinker relay has been replaced with a LED one.

Since there LEDs are not 2 way bulbs do I need to wire in the same blinker genie's?
The leds have the factory yami connection with three wires. I figured they'd be plug and play.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I'm pretty sure you're correct-the Graves(and most aftermarket LED's)were not designed to be running lights and blinkers, so you would most likely need the blinker genies installed on the front signals as well in order to have them function as running lights and signals. Unless you really want your rear blinkers to function as running lights as well, you might want to take the 'genies' from the rear and wire them into the fronts instead. As to why the fronts don't work-my guess is the load is not properly equalized despite the fact that you have the Yami connectors. Try to wire the 'genies' into the front and see if that fixes it. Good luck...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ya I guess I'll try the genie's, that's the only thing I can think of... I was just stumped cuz the lights are prewired with 3 wires and the connector. Thought since graves had them with 3 wires and the yami connector they would function properly with any additional wiring.

I'm leaving the genie's on the back. I know they are amber and taillights are supposed to be red.... I have the rizoma taillight which is small so any extra lighting in back is good for me..

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
More visibility is definitely a good thing. I wonder if by 'plug and play' they mean there's no cutting of wires, or if they're designed to function just as the OEM running lights/blinkers for the front. Their website description is kinda vague. I'm now stumped as well. Maybe someone who has installed them can comment for you...

·
Registered
730 Posts
If they are 2-Eire, they do not have running-light-capability... if nothing at all is happening with turns, check the polarity.

Reactions: Davinci

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Spoke with graves this morning.. They suggest going back to the stock blinker relay. They said they are plug and play and have them on a few 09's

·
Registered
438 Posts
I just installed the graves too and yes they are running lights also, and mine work with both the stock relay and a aftermarket relay. I suggest unplugging whatever you did to the rear and see if that solves your front problem. Unless they wired them backwards, its kinda hard to install a plug n play led wrong. You said the back was more complicated so defo try un doing what you did in the rear first.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Update.. Fronts work perfectly fine with the blinker genie's removed.

So with the blinker genie installed... The front stock lights work as they are supposed to and the rear graves LEDs functions as a running light and blinker. But the graves lights up front won't work as parking lights and it kills the entire flasher circuit.
Remove the blinker genie's and the graves LEDs function as running/flasher up front and flasher only rear.

I tried wiring the genie's one wire at time to see what causes this. Once I power up the diode ( +/- connected) it kills the front light on the same side.

Conclusion.. I have no idea... The stock front lights work with the genie's and LEDs on the rear. But the LEDs won't work up front with the genie's in the rear..
Damn I'm confused on this one....

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok install complete... To my surprise the graves LEDs act as a running light/flasher on the rear automatically..
Go figure, hahaha
I put the genie's on the rear because I wanted the signals to act as running on the rear..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts