Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought my bike with the seat cowl already installed by the dealer. I wanted it anyways, so a bonus for me not having to order one. This morning I realized that I can't get the seat off. Insert key, turn, lift at rear of seat (cowl in my case)...nothing. Anyone else having any issues? Can one of you guys take a picture of the latch area with the seat off?

Here's a pic from the day I picked her up:
IMG_5498.jpg

·
Registered
806 Posts
Looks like the xsr may have inherited the same issue as the fz with the seat. Try pushing on the key towards the front of the bike and turning slowly.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
1,695 Posts
Can't get a pic at the moment, but I've had bikes in the past where sometimes it would help to smack the seat with your fist while turning the key. In your case, just in front of the cowl. Have you tried that?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Can't get a pic at the moment, but I've had bikes in the past where sometimes it would help to smack the seat with your fist while turning the key. In your case, just in front of the cowl. Have you tried that?
My XSR seat was 'stuck' the other day. Gave it a quick, open palm wack and it popped free.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I was able to get it off by turning the key, and then sliding the seat back towards the rear of the bike. It moved 1/4-3/8", and then it came up and off.

Not sure if it slid forward from me sitting on it, or if there's just too much play in the locking mechanism.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Thanks guys. I was able to get it off by turning the key, and then sliding the seat back towards the rear of the bike. It moved 1/4-3/8", and then it came up and off.

Not sure if it slid forward from me sitting on it, or if there's just too much play in the locking mechanism.
That's the procedure I have to follow to.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I thought you were talking about those ridges that hurt my taint. :)

Mine was easy peasy, turn key and slide back so the front "hooks" unhook.

·
Registered
133 Posts
On the subject, I don't have one of those seat cowls but have been considering one. Once installed I assume it comes off with the seat when you unlock the seat. Correct? So, it's attached to the seat and not the bike? Please enlighten me. :confused:

Cheers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On the subject, I don't have one of those seat cowls but have been considering one. Once installed I assume it comes off with the seat when you unlock the seat. Correct? So, it's attached to the seat and not the bike? Please enlighten me. :confused:

Cheers.
You've got it right. Attaches to the seat itself...not only looks good but works great. Keeps you planted when that front end decides to take off.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Out of the XSR900 Owner's Manual, you have to pull the seat back a little before lifting it.

XSRseat.jpg

The lock not making proper contact with the seat latch, is another one that might rear it's ugly head after installing a Tail Tidy/Fender Eliminator.

XSR-latch.JPG

·
Registered
1 Posts
XSR seat was stuck and both the pressure on key while pulling back in combo with the good whack on the seat freed my seat. Thanks amigo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts