Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, we went to Grattan. What a great time! The track has some questionable patches and sealer, but once the sun came out it was game on. The layout is very challenging and very fun. I rode on the Friday and my girlfriend Michelle rode on Saturday. We both hooked up with the same instructor, Kenny "Sullivan" Horst. Great guy who offered very good advice to each of us on our respective days.

I had signed up in Novice, never having been to the track and not knowing what to expect from STT days (normally I ride in Advanced at track days up here). At tech inspection I was explaining my experience to Aaron and Kenny and they both said I should start in Intermediate and just go with an instructor for the morning. Perfect. By the 3rd session I'd learned the track well enough that I was by far the fastest (besides the instructors) in Intermediate. The last session before lunch 3 of the instructors picked me up and we were all lapping in a freight train for the last half of the session. Super cool to see three different styles and line choices right in front of me. In the end I managed a best lap of 1:31.8 with most laps being around 1:33. Not too bad for my first time there.

STT runs a very smooth track day. We had a great first experience with them and will definitely attend their days in the future.

Professional photos to follow.

·
Super Moderator
5,635 Posts
Dave, glad to hear that you had a very good experience with STT. I've never been to any of the Northern tracks, with the exception of Putnam Road course in Indiana. Hopefully you'll make it down south one of these days and I'd be happy to show you around at Barber....or maybe NCM in Bowling Green, KY. I know a few of the Northern staff, but not the ones that you mentioned.....glad you had a good time.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Very cool! I was at VIR North this weekend running the GSXR 750. Brought the FZ incase the track was wet since it has Q3's on it and the 750 has GPA's. Only had one damp session but the advance group created a dry line so the FZ stayed parked and John says hi Vern. Here is a link to some video.

·
Super Moderator
5,635 Posts
We're definitely planning to come down south this year. NCM is a shorter drive for us than Barber. Does it have any elevation changes? How is the asphalt? Facilities?
NCM does have some elevation changes.....maybe not quite as much as Barber, it has become my favorite track, with Barber being a close second. The track is new (Sept. 2014) and the pavement is baby butt smooth, but very grippy. To me, NCM has everything you could want in a track layout.....Fast front straight, some tight and technical sections, blind corners, and a couple of 120 mph right hand sweepers with your knee on the deck. The facilities are getting better all the time (they are still working on it). There is power (expensive), garages to rent ($75 a day, but could easily split it with 3 others), air conditioned rest rooms/showers, air conditioned classrooms, and close interstate access. They still don't have a P.A. system up and running, but that should be just a matter or time. Of course, there is not another track in the entire U.S. as beautiful as the facility at Barber, plus the museum that words simply cannot describe......but for the actual track, NCM is my favorite. If I'm not mistaken, Dave Moss will be there for our September event....the 17/18th

·
Super Moderator
5,635 Posts
Very cool! I was at VIR North this weekend running the GSXR 750. Brought the FZ incase the track was wet since it has Q3's on it and the 750 has GPA's. Only had one damp session but the advance group created a dry line so the FZ stayed parked and John says hi Vern. Here is a link to some video.
Nice job Chad, you were looking pretty good out there and hopefully you are getting comfortable on the new GSXR 750. VIR looks like a great track....I wish it were closer to where Peg and I live. John is a great guy and I'm proud to call him a friend of mine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts