Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I discovered yesterday that I probably stripped out my threads on my righ side forward fuel tank mount when I did my ECU flash. I have to get at it sometime soon to send Dave the # from my ecu and see about an issue its having, but I dont want to remove the bolt until I'm able to fix it. Does anyone on the forum have much experience with helicoil or other thread repair options?

·
Registered
806 Posts
Helicoils work good and are stronger than threads in aluminum. Just make sure to keep drill and tap straight as possible to the hole. Use some type of cutting oil and when the tap is a few turns in back it out a 1/2 turn to break the chip all the way in.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does anyone know offhand what size the bolt in the engine mount is and which helicoil kit woudl be appropriate?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Pull the bolt and go to a hardware store. Find the metric section and see which nut will fit on it. Once you know if it's m4, m5, etc, buy the helicoil kit for the same thread as the bolt. Helicoils work buy drilling out the old stripped threads, tapping with a larger diameter tap but same pitch as the existing thread. Then a metal coil twists in making up for the larger diameter and your bolt will catch good threads again. A full kit will come with drill, tap, coils, and insert tool. Dpak is exactly correct with instillation method. Good luck.

·
Registered
520 Posts
If it's an m6 thread you can probably retap it with 1/4" tap and just use an SAE 1/4" bolt.

I actually forget what size they are but I wanna say m6.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Untitled.jpg

Size is M10, according to the service manual.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Oops... My bad! I'm not sure how I missed this but I must have just seen "engine mount bolt"... Yes, M6 is the correct size for this.

·
Registered
88 Posts
What dpac and ben said... Helicoils come standard in many aluminum parts that have hardware that gets removed or serviced a lot. It's not a ghetto fix if you do it well, just a modification! ( you can always try the loctite first, it won't affect the ability to helicoil later)

·
Registered
233 Posts
If you Helicoil: after tapping it clean, degrease then Loctite the thread insert with Red Locktite.
You'll only need a couple drops...otherwise the insert can screw in and out...

Personally I don't think any resin type fix will cure the loss of threads.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Do you have access to a thread repair / rethreading kit? These kits are designed to restore/clean up slightly damaged existing threads (not a tap and die set which is designed to cut thread in new metal) and I would always try this if there's still some thread present, before deciding on drilling out the hole and using a Helicoil or my preference, a Time-sert ( www.timesert.com )

I bought this Sears kit years ago and it's invaluable to me. I use it very frequently, especially on motorcycles where stainless fasteners are going into aluminum threads.

Sears.com

1 - 16 of 16 Posts