Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just returned from the paradise of Rosamond, CA at Streets of Willow. Got there Thursday and left Saturday - what a trip!
Got the 600 mi. service done 5 days after I bought it and took it to the track the next day :)

Format:
This was the CLASS school/track day done by Reg Pridemore, 3 time AMA Superbike champ. Very educational, he is more geared to street riding as opposed to a Code class, which is Straight up track riding. Nonetheless very fun and I took away a lot of good information. It is run A and B format with 20 min sessions and after each session is 20 min class time.

Bike Setup:
I kept the suspension and everything completely stock because I wanted a firm baseline to see exactly what direction I needed to go. Needless to say I turned that seat into a Mohawk a couple times. The suspension is suuuuuper soft (for obvious reasons). One Instance I came into turn 2 a little too hot - hard on the front brakes the rear end got airborne and was waving to the crowd, as it set down I was able to stabilize it and complete the corner on two wheels (wheeew!).

Ride Report:
The engine is absolutely Flawless!! I was able to pull on some fast bikes in the straight, and my favorite was drag racing an Aprilia Tuono V4R - If there's one bike I love hearing go by it's that one! This bike is awesome in the corners, soo flickable and the motor will pull to the moon. I rode in B mode the whole time and it was completely controllable.
I started in the B group but went to the A group towards the end of the due to passing too many people, A-group is incredible because I could watch the lines and techniques they were using. Verrrry fun.

This was my very first track day and I would recommend it to EVERYBODY!! I have never felt that type of focus, it really is indescribable. So glad I have this FZ-09, Can't wait to start modifying the suspension! :D

Here are some professional pictures:

This guy could ride!!

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
that is sweet! Hoping to get out there in June with my FZ09. But I will be out there in April for the 2-day Code course.

Did you end up adjusting the suspension or did you ride stock the whole time?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Damn! I saw the thread and got excited for a sec. Nope, not Willow, Alaska for sure. Awesome pics. No tracks in my neck of the woods. Maybe someday......

concorde  5.jpg I like stuff that is fast!

concorde 2.jpg

The hard brake story sounds similar to the thread about suspension earlier today in an emergency braking situation. He too brought up the rear. What an awesome opportunity for guys who live near tracks that offer up training.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Uh Oh.... another biker gets bitten by the track bug!!

It's addicting for sure.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thanks for posting this Z-Pilot31

I have been trying to read about all of the different courses in the area and this one seemed to be the best fit just based on what the different web sites say. I have never been to a road track - ever. (of course spent years on motocross tracks, but that does not count).

I would love your input on the classes.

Did you do the 2 days class?

Is it suitable for a full on track rookie?

I do not have any intentions on becoming a track junkie, but would really like to become a better rider, especially in all of the local canyons around here. Aside from the fun factor, did you learn a lot that would help on the streets?

Thanks,

Kirk

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Kirk, yes it's important to find the right school/organization for your start on the track. I forget what you've said in other posts, how much street experience do you have?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Kirk, yes it's important to find the right school/organization for your start on the track. I forget what you've said in other posts, how much street experience do you have?
Not a ton of street experience - about 1.5 years is all. Closer to 10 off road.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Cool Kirk, with the dirt you have plenty of experience to go to the track as long as you pick the right organization etc.

Pridmore has a great reputation, what Z-Pilot31 sounds like it would be good for you too. I'm in the mid west, and haven't ridden in 10 years, so I'm not familiar with all that is available in California. After Pridmore the next step would be a well run track day, with the right organization the Beginner group of a track day basically a school also. Ask here or on other forums etc for who is good in your area. I like Sportbike Track Time and Nesba for that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Congrats on the track day. Sounds like you had a blast.

@KirkB 99% of track day providers are very inviting to the inexperienced. Just tell them straight up, this is my first day, can someone help me? One of the best things about motorcycles is the community. You will find a ton of helpful individuals. Many providers will offer a trackside 'school' in between sessions.
I was nervous as all get out my first track day. I got more help than I needed. The key is just to ask. I ended up working for the organization a month later and this is my 3rd year.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
-Take Risks and V2Bob hit it right on the head, everybody that instructs is amazingly helpful - no matter good of a rider we are, we ALL started at square one. I've been riding dirtbikes for about ten years so the transfer to street was really fun and straight forward. The other cool part is I found both the limit of my riding skills and the bike's limit all on a closed course, does not get any better than that!!

WillowBilly - Those are kick-ass pictures man!

TunnelVision748 - I ran it stock the whole time, still fun as hell though. Get to start adjusting now :)

One word of caution about these track days though, They are Extremely addicting!! The feeling is pure happiness! Glad to be apart of such a knowledgeable group of riders for sure.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hey Z...and this point, I would trade my Concorde tour for a ride on a track. I never got a ride on the jet, but got to sit in the cockpit and thoroughly check it out. That was probably in the early 90s.

concorde 4.jpg
concorde.jpg

The only thing I would worry about on the track is doing something stupid and messing up someone else. Do they make sure you have your shit together before they let lose multiple bikes at once?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
WillowBilly, I've had my head in wheel wells of an SR71.

Well run track days are generally split into 3 groups by skill level, not bike HP. Each group is on the track for 20 minutes, off for 40, track closed an hour for lunch.

There are instructor riders, or "control riders" on the track too, like Vern is. Each group has it's own passing rules etc. I think some clubs, in Beginner a control rider will have 4ish riders following him/her, for that session you don't pass. When you come off the track you talk with instructor, tips, things to work on next session, etc.

Edit: You have to pick the right track day organization. Some of them, they take your money and turn you loose. Multiple skill levels at the same time, including racers practicing, in other words a zoo. If you have track experience and you know what you are getting into it can be ok, but it isn't for a track newbie.

You might think you're fast, doing a personal best and all, but when someone really good comes through on your inside going into turn one close enough to shake hands..., oh my! Don't let your pucker change your line. ;)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Thanks Bob. I always wondered how it worked seeing so many guys talking "track days" on here. Too bad it isn't an option here. No tracks to be had anywhere.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
You kind of try to hide it but I know you have the Need for Speed lol. Your next visit the the Lower 48 you gotta get your a$$ on the track. Not having your own bike down here it will be tricky, but I'm sure there are ways. If nothing else a school that supplies the bikes, though those are fewer and more $$$.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I supposed you noticed that most my pics involve something fairly fast. Ironically, my slowest conveyance has been my motorcycle. Never got past the old 750. I rode a buddy's FZ1 once, and thought it was darn cool. I'm still stumbling along waiting to see if The FZ-07 is coming or not.

It's still not riding weather here despite what some of the Harley guys think. Even after the snow and ice go, there is a shitload of left over sand until they get the sweepers out.

The wife wants a new boat this year. I see negotiations in my future. I'll be able to grab a new bike, but it's going to cost me a new boat as well. The sacrifices I make.

Picture 036.jpg
As mentioned earlier...serious speed. they kept this bad boy roped off so you couldn't get too close. A buddy of mine who is an air traffic controller said they could spot these back in the day. They didn't spend much time on the scope. Probably heading to Russia. We would never do that would we?

Back on subject....If anyone knows of tracks that give classes and rent bikes, certainly chime in. I'm not beyond traveling for a good reason.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts