Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is your preference Low Profile or High.....???

And Why.....???

I've had the SM-X 1 low for a year but wonder if riding w/o any real calf protection is taking unnecessary risks. As we enter the Spring/Summer Heat the thought of a Higher Boot with less air flow isn't ideal, but what price glory?:sign18:

Reactions: Lee Drew

·
Registered
233 Posts
I prefer and wear high.
I've had the unfortunate task of dealing with a friend of mine that hit a road sign.
He was wearing high quality boots.
The bone was protruding just above the ankle.
Figure he would've lost his foot had he not been wearing high top boots.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I use my old pair of Sidi Vertebrae race boots on the street (have newer Aplinestars for the track). I like the high boot mainly because that's what I'm used to, plus I like to know my ankles are somewhat safe. I have thought about getting a lower boot but it would still have to completely cover my ankle, so I haven't really bothered looking because there isn't much point.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use my old pair of Sidi Vertebrae race boots on the street (have newer Aplinestars for the track). I like the high boot mainly because that's what I'm used to, plus I like to know my ankles are somewhat safe. I have thought about getting a lower boot but it would still have to completely cover my ankle, so I haven't really bothered looking because there isn't much point.
My A-Stars SM-X 1's completely cover the ankle but the calf is completely exposed, except for my mesh pants (imagine commando otherwise).:p

·
Registered
474 Posts
It's always a trade off isn't it ? Buy the things you will actually wear so you are more likely to use them. I would be less likely to wear my sport boots for just a causal ride or commute, and opt to use my TCX X-rap CE rated shoes for more comfort. Although, I rarely go on a casual ride :)

Reactions: beck and Steve101

·
Registered
987 Posts
Over the ankle with support is the smart way to go.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I have Alpinestars SMX-6 and love them....

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Keep the posts coming guys... I'm still just a jacket/gloves/helmet only guy (95% of my riding is a 15 min commute to/from work). Threads like these make me realize the importance of it all so share your wisdom!

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i used to ride with a pair of TCX X Cube short boots (they came up over my ankle but that was it).

I was riding once on the highway through a construction zone, car in front of me kicked up a half dollar size rock - hit me right in the shin. I had a nice welt on my leg for a week or so - i was lucky that was all that happened - if i had my Spidi SP3s on I would have been fine.

I wear my Spidi SP3s now exclusively - 80% of the time with armored pants - the shin protection on my pants stops right at the top of my boot so my leg is mostly covered. I don't always ride with armored pants (particularly to work - just my choice - i get the risk) but in most riding situations i prefer the long boot set up.

My Spidi's are no hotter than the x-cubes - in fact they are better ventilated because they are not waterproof but they are not the most comfortable to do a lot of walking in.

If i'm going to walking around a lot once i get somewhere - i typically bring a pair of shoes or sandals with me for when i get to my destination.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Over the ankle with support is the smart way to go.
Pictured below is the S MX-1. Plenty of ankle support but zero calf protection.

Shoe Footwear Black Boot Outdoor shoe

Reactions: rtsb

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Steve.... My preference is and has always been a high profile boot, that just simply provides more protection than ANY of the low profile boots. I've crashed both on the track AND on the street, but my worst crash came on the street and put me in CCU overnight after a very expensive helicopter ride. It's kind of like buying insurance and trying to figure out how much coverage to buy, and then when something happens, you've either got enough coverage..... or you don't.

And BTW... There are many brands of high profile boots that are ventilated and provide decent air flow on the hot days. I've worn SIDI for years and presently own three different pairs of them... including a pair that is perforated for summer use.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I commute everyday to downtown, then do a lot of walking once I am there. I have been wearing the Alpinestars W/P Joey. Thus far I love them as they look like the ordinary Converse hightops, but have a bit of ankle protection as well as being water proof. I will state although, that I did get me some Dr Scholls inserts almost to the day I bought them. I will also state there isn't much "tread" on the shoes, but when the weather is bad, I am prolly not riding. (E.g. Snow)

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
I wear SMX-2's as my everyday/commuting boots, and have smx 6 goretex boots for riding fast, or of course, rain.
Comfort and protection is always a trade off. If you are a hyperchondriac, maybe ventilated race boots?
I like the short smx2 because they feel pretty much like shoes to walk in, and I walk between job sites (and on job sites), maybe 6 ks a day. Says my step tracker do-dad on my phone, so take it with a grain of salt.
In those pics of my 711, I crashed wearing full height, version 1 astars smx's. Full height, quality boots, and I still broke femur, Tib and fib. You can't protect yourself from everything, people.
For Street riding, decent quality short boots hanve more protection than the full height army boots or 16 hole steel cap docs I used to ride in 20 years ago. Less leather coverage, but far more protection.
Don't try and protect yourself from everything, just from most things.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts