Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm new to the forum. First post. I've had my fz for about two months now, and I'm wondering if there are any street-legal alternatives to the fender/license plate holder on the bike. I don't really like how far it hangs out from the rear of the bike. I live in Indiana if that's at all helpful. Hope I put this in the right forum and thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
First of all....welcome to the forum and congrats on the new FZ....you are probably already lovin' it. Let's move this to the "Gear and Accessory section.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked at the laws and in Indiana code 9-18-2-26-b it says
"(b) A license plate shall be securely fastened, in a horizontal position, to the vehicle for which the plate is issued:
(1) to prevent the license plate from swinging;
(2) at a height of at least twelve (12) inches from the ground, measuring from the bottom of the license plate;
(3) in a place and position that are clearly visible;
(4) maintained free from foreign materials and in a condition to be clearly legible; and
(5) not obstructed or obscured by tires, bumpers, accessories, or other opaque objects."

I think a Yoshimura would qualify for that. From what I can tell, the license plate is in no way obstructed and it has a light.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Indiana laws on license plate placement is very loose. I have run fender elim of all types for years and years and never had issue. I don't like it but motorcycles are everywhere with the plate stuck underneath the sub frame facing the tire and almost impossible to see. If you purchase a normal fender kit and have your signals working and plate showing you will be just fine.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Indiana laws on license plate placement is very loose. I have run fender elim of all types for years and years and never had issue. I don't like it but motorcycles are everywhere with the plate stuck underneath the sub frame facing the tire and almost impossible to see. If you purchase a normal fender kit and have your signals working and plate showing you will be just fine.
I've seen those! I don't know how they avoid getting a ticket with it shoved up under there and bent up!

·
Registered
957 Posts
Assuming you live in a state that has stringent inspection laws, what you're going to need is: All the same lighting and reflectors found on the stock mudguard must be present, and the turn signals protrude out a certain distance from one another. The license plate (which must be illuminated) must not be angled upwards to obscure view from someone right behind you. That's about it, but one thing to bear in mind is that the rear fender on this bike actually serves a purpose. People who have gotten rid of it have complained of getting splashed up with mud, dirt, or water in their backs.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You dont have to buy one just use whats there and remove the long extension, bolt the tail light assembly to the tail section. Easy and free.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Assuming you live in a state that has stringent inspection laws, what you're going to need is: All the same lighting and reflectors found on the stock mudguard must be present, and the turn signals protrude out a certain distance from one another. The license plate (which must be illuminated) must not be angled upwards to obscure view from someone right behind you. That's about it, but one thing to bear in mind is that the rear fender on this bike actually serves a purpose. People who have gotten rid of it have complained of getting splashed up with mud, dirt, or water in their backs.
I think the Yoshi looks to be the closest to stock in terms of license plate orientation and illumination. If I go for one, I think that will be it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts