Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

Prior to owning my rapid red FZ-09 I always kept very stock bike, so I was shocked when I realized just how many mods I had done to my bike! This forum has brought together a wonderful group of people who have dedicated an amazing amount of time to sharing their knowledge about the FZ-09, and their passion is infectious in the best possible way.

Here is a list of all the mods that I have done to my bike, citations included. :)

Flashed by Vcyclenut

I originally had the Flash Tune flash, but after reading all of the glowing reviews of Vcyclenut I decided that I had to go for the upgrade...and it was worth it! The Vcyclenut flash is the first mod that I would describe as being truly "transformative". A Mode is scary fun, STD mode is smoother than I ever thought possible, and B Mode is B Mode. It is hands down the best $80 you will ever spend on your bike. Period.

Fizzer Kit (Home Made)

Does your engine have a tick? Fizzer's home made cam chain tensioner fix will take care of that problem for only a few bucks. What to do it yourself? Here are the McMaster-Carr part numbers:

• 92605A136 - Nonmarring Flat Point Set Screw, 18-8 Stainless Steel, M6 Size, 25MM Length, 1MM Pitch
  • 91005A033 - Metric Black-Oxide Steel Flange Hex Nug, M6 Screw Size, 1MM Pitch, 10MM W, 8MM Overall Height

CA Evap Canister Removed

If you have a California FZ-09 and you have an occasional hard start and stalling problem, especially when you leave your bike out in the sun, then you really need to set aside one morning to do this minor surgery on your bike. It only takes an hour and $5 in parts from AutoZone, but your bike will never have another hard start.

Seat Concepts Seat Cover

Seat Concepts seats look fantastic, feel better than the stock, and cost only a fraction of a complete seat from other venders. For more details check out my complete review in the links below!

2006 ZX6R Rear Shock

I love my FZ-09, but it was the first bike I have ever owned where I noticed just how bad the stock suspension was. There are now many great options available to fix this issue, but if you are on a budget then there is nothing cheaper quicker or easier than grabbing a used ZX6R shock off ebay and throwing it on your bike.

OES Frame Sliders and Swingarm Spools

Safety first, frame sliders are a must for evey bike! The OES sliders were affordable, looked good, and easy to install.

Helmet Lock

You never realize how much you need a helmet lock until you don't have one.

Tripage LED Headlight

The Tripage LED headlight is probably twice a bright as the stock FZ-09 headlight, and is a strongly recommended upgrade for anyone who might ever get cought riding home at night...so, you know, all of us!

Tripage LED Taillight STD Upgrade

Safety first, I want people to notice when I am hitting my breaks! The Tripage upgraded taillight adds LEDs, a break light modulator, and integrated turn signals that can still work with the OEM blinkers. Note, you need to buy splitters to make both sets of blinkers work together!

Graves Motorsports Fender Eliminator

Many people seem to prefer other brands, some people have had a bad experience with Graves, but I am very pleased with mine. I chose this fender eliminator because it matinained the stock blinkers, it was reasonably priced, and there was a how to install video on YouTube.

Mad Hornet Adjustable Levers

I really like the feel and look of the Mad Hornets levers, and the price was far more reasonable than other after market levers. At first I bought the shorty levers, and I liked them so much I decided to upgrade to the adjustable length version. I should mention that the adjustable length set did not fit as well as well the shortys, and they did require some filing with a dremel.

Fabbri Gen-X Sport Screen

The Mad Max of windscreens; I love the way it looks, but your mileage may vary.

Horn Relocation

This free mod requires no extra parts, and definitely helps clean up the front end of your bike. I didn't really notice a change of volume from the horn. This is a prerequisite if you want to install a cheap stabilizer, which I have not done yet.

Michelin Pilot Road 4 Tires

Those stock tires only lasted me a few thousand miles, and nothing feels nicer than a fresh set of tires on your bike.

Ride safe,
Tom

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks for sharing this Stray750. Having the links to the original threads was terrific.
Like you, I've rarely modded my bikes, aside from a Corbin seat on a couple of them. My bike is being delivered today by the dealership, there's a centimeter of new snow on the ground, and I haven't even ridden it yet, but I already have a Puig sport windscreen, and a Yoshimura fender eliminator sitting on my kitchen table. And a used ZX6R shock, SW Motech hand guards, OES full slider kit, and a set of chinese levers are winging there way here from various points on the globe from Ebay.

It sure looks like we have similar tastes, I almost went for the fabbri. I may just use the rest of your mod list for shopping from! Headlight and horn will probably be next! Maybe I'll even get to ride the damn thing someday.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Question for all of you: what mods do you consider to be a "must have"?
The dog carrier mod is the only *must have* for me, however I am a dog so my opinion is biased. :) Thank you for the list, we are looking into the Chinalins steering damper mod but I think my radar detector is in the way. Narrow bars (ca only), better rear shock, and thicker fork oil seem pretty important. Also I would like to rewire the headlight so the low beam stays on when the the high beam is switched on (like it does with the high beam flash switch). Some more seat padding would be nice too :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wish I could take my dog with me, but he is not the right breed! :)

I also bought that stabilizer, but I have not created a bracket and installed it yet. Maybe next weekend. I will definitely update the thread when I do.

Regarding the headlight, have you considered upgrading to an LED? It makes a world of difference!

·
Registered
276 Posts
I had led driving lights on my last bike but have not looked into it for the fz yet. The headlight seems to work pretty well, I just don't like the high beam on the switch as it does not illuminate the road right in front of the bike. When I use the flasher switch it works much better.

That stabilizer looks promising, especially for the price. :) I may try to see if I can fit it on my Aprilia. That bike would really benefit from it. It is possible I may be able to mount it directly under my radar detector too. I'll have to look into it after I get the suspension sorted out. Thank you.

·
Registered
96 Posts
How would you say the rear shock changed the rideability of the bike? I'm not unhappy with the stock rear suspension but maybe I don't know what I'm missing.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts