Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,
i just got a new chain and sprockets installed 800 miles ago. since then ive noticed a strange whirring sound, and its not the sound coming off the front sprocket.

today i was oiling the chain and noticed some weird wear marks. ive triple checked the rear wheel was straight by measuring the gap in the rear wheel adjusters. ive also loosened the chain a tad from what the shop had it set at. it is now exactly at 1" of slack (per another thread i found on here)

any ideas would be appricated.

TIA

Attachments

·
Registered
940 Posts
hey guys,
i just got a new chain and sprockets installed 800 miles ago. since then ive noticed a strange whirring sound, and its not the sound coming off the front sprocket.

today i was oiling the chain and noticed some weird wear marks. ive triple checked the rear wheel was straight by measuring the gap in the rear wheel adjusters. ive also loosened the chain a tad from what the shop had it set at. it is now exactly at 1" of slack (per another thread i found on here)

TIA
Just curious, if you wipe the chain with a dry rag do these marks disappear? It looks like oil

·
Registered
382 Posts
Yeah that's weird it looks like something's touching the outer plates. The only thing that should make contact and would leave marks that look like that is the damper on the front sprocket but you said yours doesn't have it.
You sure they put a new chain on it? Maybe they left the old chain on it and those marks were from the previous OEM sprocket.
I have trust issues when it comes to other people working on my bikes, can you tell?

Remove the sprocket cover, put the bike on a rear stand, and spin the wheel. Look to see if anything's making contact.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey guys,

TIA
Them marks are from the front sprocket without the rubber damper. i have just bought a D.I.D chain and JT sprocket kit.. and the front sprocket does have the rubber damper on.. i have no whirring sound or marks on the chain.. the whirring sound will start when the chain is to tight.. i have had this issue on my old FZ6.. i have attached an image
Bicycle part Wheel Rim Automotive tire Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
532 Posts
It's the chain slider rubbing. Gold chains will do that. If it were a natural steel link you likely wouldn't have noticed, but when the brass plating gets rubbed off on a "gold" chain it catches your eye easily.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts