Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never seen this in a forum and have been meaning to ask for a long time. When I am in dedicated lanes to make a left or right hand turn on a bike, it says red. I end up waiting for a 4 wheeled vehicle to roll up behind me which then causes it to change. Is there a strategy to get the light to turn green. Or is there some motorcycle secret that I'm not in on?

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've never seen this in a forum and have been meaning to ask for a long time. When I am in dedicated lanes to make a left or right hand turn on a bike, it says red. I end up waiting for a 4 wheeled vehicle to roll up behind me which then causes it to change. Is there a strategy to get the light to turn green. Or is there some motorcycle secret that I'm not in on?
Sometimes the sensor buried in the pavement will be triggered by the bike... sometimes not...I'm sure every one is different...cuz it doesn't always happen to me....I often run read lights and/or make illegal uturns when faced with a similar situation.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had a gate at an old job that would never open for me. I had to stop on the buried sensor and kind of jump up and down on the bike to get it to open. Anyway, I usually try to stop on the sensor at lights, if that doesn't work, I do the same as Sytheii.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
The sensors can be adjusted ...if you ever see someone working on the stop light box next to the intersection stop and ask if he can do a adjustment to pick up the bike..you will make several passes to get it right ! I did that here in Indiana and never had a problem with that intersection since . Indiana has a law that if you have been waiting more than 2 min. you can proceed with caution though the light .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Those embedded sensors use eddy current and rely on magnetic metal from the vehicle to trip it. Since the majority of bikes are aluminum this causes an issue. If you put your kickstand down in the middle of the sensor pad it will usually trip the sensor. If there is no traffic I run it, if there is I wait for a car to trip it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I’ve heard of both magnetic and weight based sensors. Can’t confirm either w 100% certainty though.
I heard from those that have been stopped you should wait a full three mins to confirm it won’t change before going.
Cops working the area will know about the light, so I usually give it a good 30s to appear like I made the effort IF I’m concerned. Other cops will use it as an excuse to pull you anyway. YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
210 Posts
Indiana has a law that if you have been waiting more than 2 min. you can proceed with caution though the light .
This is the problem. Not every state has this law. Mass certainly does not. There is no provisioning for motorcycles. So technically, you will be for ever stuck at a red light with a sensor that is not calibrated for motorcycles. I've been meaning, and will, when appropriate ask a local popo WTF am I supposed to do in this situation.

I've thrown my hazards on and ran red lights after 2 or 3 cycles of lights.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Check this video out. It explains what types of sensors are being used:

Reactions: BattleBornBike

·
Registered
444 Posts
There are a couple lights around me that won't trip either. Why has already been described in this thread.

Personally, I just go through them when it's safe to do so.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
690 Posts
If this is a common problem where you are, and because many of the sensors use eddy current you could also try getting a large magnet and attaching it under the bike someplace. I'm sure someone online sells these. For those who don't know eddy current is basically a sensor that creates a weak magnetic field that is used to detect when an object passes nearby. The sensors are more sensitive the more 'magnetic' the passing object is, so steel trumps aluminum and a big magnet would trump steel. The company I work for manufactures and sells eddy current probes to monitor machinery in power plants.

I usually just wait a full light cycle and then run the light when its safe. Sometimes if the 'when safe' part is sketchy I'll make a right turn and then a U-turn or whatever instead of going the desired direction through the light.

Reactions: Darf

·
Registered
447 Posts
If this is a common problem where you are, and because many of the sensors use eddy current you could also try getting a large magnet and attaching it under the bike someplace. I'm sure someone online sells these. For those who don't know eddy current is basically a sensor that creates a weak magnetic field that is used to detect when an object passes nearby. The sensors are more sensitive the more 'magnetic' the passing object is, so steel trumps aluminum and a big magnet would trump steel. The company I work for manufactures and sells eddy current probes to monitor machinery in power plants.

I usually just wait a full light cycle and then run the light when its safe. Sometimes if the 'when safe' part is sketchy I'll make a right turn and then a U-turn or whatever instead of going the desired direction through the light.
This. I have a notorious intersection around me that won't trigger with 2 bikes on it. Mounted a 30lb magnet on the bottom on my ninja and it worked the next time. I was impressed.

·
Registered
231 Posts
There are two other options you can try but both make you look like a clown:

1. If there's a cross walk, put your baby in neutral, drop the kickstand, strut over and bang on the button, then depending on the turnover speed, sprint back to your bike or leisurely walk back and wave to curious onlookers,

2. Occupy the middle of lanes always...and then when you're in this situation, wave up cars to the front so THEY can trigger sensors...YMMV on this tactic as lots of drivers don't know what to make of a beckoning motorman.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts
i put my front and rear tires on the portion of the sensor closest to the wire that runs to the control box, it seems to work almost always

·
Registered
444 Posts
i put my front and rear tires on the portion of the sensor closest to the wire that runs to the control box, it seems to work almost always
Some lights definitely work for this better than others! But that's exactly what I do as well.

·
Registered
595 Posts
If you can see the sensor wires, always run over them.
Sometimes there are 2 sets of wires where the old sensor has failed and been left in the ground and the new one was just cut into the ground around it. so that becomes a learning experience.

Then at some lights (left turn yield on green) they put the sensor 3 car lengths back from the stop line. I stop on those when i can and creep up one car length to get a trailing cage to stop over it.

Then they come along and spray a thin layer of tar over the sensors and they become invisible.

Then there is just one method left (other than a magnet - although why doesn't the generator work??).
Call or e-mail the local city traffic department and let them know what the problem is.

·
Registered
19 Posts
used to install "induction loops" which is what you see cut into square in the ground. you need to position your bikes motor ontop of a intersecting corner. give it a few revs and it should trigger. I've never had one miss my bike in over 10 yrs with that trick. find the corner of the loop and center your engine over it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Good old dead red syndrome. I have one on my way to work. I try to remember to take an alternate route to I can avoid it but forget in occasion. I have ran the red light a few times due to sick of waiting

1 - 20 of 24 Posts