Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this morning I decide I am going to wax my beautiful new blurple wheels and was not happy when I saw this .....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
So this morning I decide I am going to wax my beautiful new blurple wheels and was not happy when I saw this .....
What? What have they used to coat the wheels? Powdercoat doesn't wipe off like that. Hell even paint shouldn't come off with wax. What the hell are they coated with?

·
Registered
699 Posts
What the hell!?!? Any solvent on the rag?! I have taken all sorts of solvents to paint, and NEVER had that happen to properly cured paint.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I love the blurple wheels. I've only seen that happen with really badly oxidized paint. I think we have our first issue.

I'm no a paint expert. Was there supposed to be a clear coat that they forgot to apply?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I used a Mother's clay bar kit to make sure the surface was completely clean before waxing, this is were I saw a bit of blue and knew that wasn't good. I continued treatment and waxed it with my favorite wax (zymol) and that's when I took the picture. The wheels did not discolor or anything like that, but a little bit of residue on clay bar and my waxing cloth is a little concerning.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I used a Mother's clay bar kit to make sure the surface was completely clean before waxing, this is were I saw a bit of blue and knew that wasn't good. I continued treatment and waxed it with my favorite wax (zymol) and that's when I took the picture. The wheels did not discolor or anything like that, but a little bit of residue on clay bar and my waxing cloth is a little concerning.
yeah, it's a bit worrisome, contact yamaha and see what they say. it's possible that the powder coating was not cured properly. if so, they should replace the wheel under warranty.

personally, honda pro spray cleaner and polish is all i've ever used and it works great.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah, it's a bit worrisome, contact yamaha and see what they say. it's possible that the powder coating was not cured properly. if so, they should replace the wheel under warranty.

personally, honda pro spray cleaner and polish is all i've ever used and it works great.
Ya I am going to get ahold of them tomorrow.

Good ole Honda Polish does work good, but will leave fine scratches in clearcoat, on painted surfaces. It's what I normally use on wheels too, but I usually put a coat of wax down first. I did it like that on my trackbike wheels and it made clean up much easier haha.

·
Registered
699 Posts
That should be brought to Yamaha'a attention even though it could cause more delays if it is a wide scale issue!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Zymol is the best, that wouldn't/shouldn't have caused that. This does look like the powdercoat didn't cure properly.

This is not good.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I will update this in about 2 hours when I am at the dealer to see if the wheels on mine do the same thing.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Zymol is the best, that wouldn't/shouldn't have caused that. This does look like the powdercoat didn't cure properly.

This is not good.
Zymol is amazing !! Changed the way the tank looked ! I didn't like the liquid graphite at first( blue wheels where my trigger ) but after a good wax Job it looks alot better!

As far as the wheels they appear to be painted with regular paint or something, yet do have a metallic flake in them too!

1 - 20 of 97 Posts