Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had this scheduled for a week, but looks like Cycle World won by a day! Either way, this bike seems to put out similar numbers. This Dynojet is not known to put out high numbers, but the bike is still breaking in (only 320 miles on the odometer).

There wasn't much time on the schedule today, so no RPM was tracked. But, these were fourth gear pulls. An indicated speed translates into roughly:

4000: 43 mph
5000: 54 mph
6000: 66 mph
7000: 77 mph
8000: 88 mph

Naturally, those numbers aren't exact, given the true gear ratios. This is what was indicated on the speedo, which likely reads ~6% high. Of course, tire selection/wear and speedo error will impact the indicated speed, so keep that in mind.

So basically, as Cycle World found out yesterday, the STD and A maps are identical in power, but the throttle response is altered. B mode is down ~10-11 hp over ~6,000 RPM. This reflects what you feel in the saddle.

I'll keep this thread updated as the bike progresses.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Very interesting. I never would have guessed B mode limited power in the upper rpms, but I guess that makes sense as a "rain mode".

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's interesting because this is really the first we've heard what the modes really do. Everything up to this point came from Yamaha or journalists and the details were limited.

B mode is much softer right off idle (from closed throttle), but given what we see here, I believe the timing tables might be largely the same between maps. I suspect the biggest differences are in the YCCT parameters. Heck, that might even be how they limited power in B mode...might have just limited WOT to something just short of all the way open.

We should be able to peek inside the ECU within the next couple weeks to know for sure.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
B mode is much softer right off idle (from closed throttle), but given what we see here, I believe the timing tables might be largely the same between maps. I suspect the biggest differences are in the YCCT parameters. Heck, that might even be how they limited power in B mode...might have just limited WOT to something just short of all the way open.
yes, yamaha does this with late model u.s. spec r1's (all modes) and r6's and it reduces peak power slightly.

it makes sense to use ycc-t to control power, as it does not affect combustion efficiency in any way (whereas controlling power using different fuel mapping and/or ignition timing does).

speaking of limiters, here's a video on how to remove the power limiter on french-spec 09's:

what's interesting is that there appears to be a whole bunch of other adjustable parameters.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
apparently the other parameters are part of the diagnostics mode. i don't have the 09 service manual, but from the video many of the codes do seem to coincide with the codes used on other yamahas.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts