Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone ordered them?... If so, do they come in a set of 2 for both forks?

And what are your thoughts for your experience with them so far as a solution on their own?

Thanks
Kaiser

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
I too have a set of the Stotec Moto supplied fork springs in my bike. Nick guided me along and asked me my riding weight and style/type of riding that I did with the bike and hooked me up. Mine are the 0.95 kg/mm springs....YMMV

·
Registered
380 Posts
Nick upgraded/tuned my forks after I had some bad luck trying it on my own.
I highly recommend him. Got the GP piston kit with .90's :)

Reactions: jasonk and marthy

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Has a suggestion, send your fork and do the piston kit too while you still can. Best setup for street & spirit riding. A bit more $ but while worth it.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have them, along with 7.5mm oil. They are not a complete solution as the rear end is a bigger culprit than the front, but they definitely help a lot.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Has a suggestion, send your fork and do the piston kit too while you still can. Best setup for street & spirit riding. A bit more $ but while worth it.
I want to get my forks done by nick, but dont want to be without the bike......I was hoping to send the forks in and get it done over the winter, but it seems that may not be possible now....

Reactions: marthy

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Purchased stiffer springs from Nick and went with 10W oil. I have a set of Traxxion cartridges on my bench ready to go in, but I plan on waiting until winter, since the springs are adequate enough to hold me over. I have way too many other projects that are more important since it is not so bad of a patch.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Yeah I also got the Stoltec springs and had them installed with 10 weight oil. I'm close to 190lbs without gear so Nick recommended the .95 mm/kg rate.. I had them installed at a local shop that specializes in suspension and they set up my front and rear sag also.

I really think it's worth the money if you don't want to spend hundred$ or thou$ands on a complete revalve or full cartridge system. When I first got my bike I found the front end dove a lot under breaking, but now it holds it's posture even under the hardest emergency brake situation.

I may eventually get a new rear shock and a cartridge for my bike, but for now I haven't got the experience level to notice the difference..

·
Registered
237 Posts
Big help over the stock, under-sprung front unless you're a lightweight. Stock springs were terrible for me at 185 without gear. Tap the brakes and the front dives way too much. Don't do that in a corner or the front will tuck- came very close to a crash just tapping the brake lightly when I entered a corner a bit hot. Nick suggested the .90 rate which is about spot on for me. I'm using 7.5 wt oil with decent results, but will be going with his GP kit shortly as the front is still not great. Great guy by the way, and a shame that he's getting out of the retail business but he has his priorities right in my book. The Penske shock (I went with the 8983) absolutely fixes the back end. Worth every penny if you ride in the hills and plan on any track days. Good luck!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have them, along with 7.5mm oil. They are not a complete solution as the rear end is a bigger culprit than the front, but they definitely help a lot.

Ya... I actually bought a rear shock from a ZX10 to alleviate the rear.. Im a light guy, right on the cusp of the suspension being an issue, so i decided to go a thriftier route.

I do want to snag the gp fork cartridges but decided to wait til winter before sending my forks in to stoltec (or GP if nick is not still doing them by then) ... Don't want my bike down for 2 or more weeks mid season... And don't want to spend 300$ on the cap tools when i'll probably only use them once.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Nick can help you with selecting the right springs. He directed me to GP Suspension to order either the 20 or 25 mm kit. On the 25 mm kit. The 25 mm kit is a cartridge replacement and their price is $1,199 with installation and taxes the price is about $1,500. I sent requesting the price for the 20 mm kit, springs and installation and have not responded so I called them. There was some confusion on the pricing and a technician will call me on Tuesday as they are all out of town for an event.

Nick's web site still shows that you can still order the springs. He has stated that he is quitting retail sales. So, you may need to email him on the springs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts