Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since Nick has been snowed under, he offered to let me try out the new 25mm cartridge kit for our FZ-09.
I got the kit yesterday, installed it this morning and rode in it this afternoon.

WOW, it is so compliant. The high speed compression is very much improved over the spring/oil band-aid.
The ride is plush, but it does not bottom out out like before.
I dropped the front wheel pretty hard and hit the front brake as hard as I dared on a 32 degree road.
I rode a somewhat familiar loop, the places that that had HARSH feedback before, were all much better.
I noticed that I was rolling on throttle sooner because the bike felt so much more predictable.
It feels like it's planted to the road, and I have a lot more confidence in it. Even when the cornering gets bumpy, the bike does not get so upset.

I plan on making some notes on the install in the next day or two. Feel free to ask any questions. It is pretty straight forward, especially if you have been inside MX forks before.
A few specialized tools came in handy, but most can be worked around if you are determined. F.Y.I. the kit has no instructions with it, so I recommend being honest with your skills before deciding to install it yourself.

Thanks for letting me be the guinea pig Nick! The kit is as good as I hoped it would be, worth every penny if you ask me!

I will have a video of the forks in action and pics later.......I really need to do a little work today:cool:

DSC_8876.jpg

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Thanks for the report Brian, sounds great. Will be interesting how it does for you when it's warm and you've dialed in the settings etc. Though I'll have my own by then lol.

What have you done to your rear? Um, I mean do you have a Penske shock already etc? That's when it'll really work, having both ends sorted.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Oh yes sorry,

I should have mentioned that I do have a Penske on the rear.
I also should have mentioned that I have not set sag or moved a single click yet.
Had the wrench in my pocket, but was having too much fun to stop. It is very good as is, but I will HAVE to play with the adjustments this weekend.

EDIT: here are the basic steps I used for the install-the not so common tools are highlighted in red

Highlights for installing the 25 mm GP Suspension kit from Stoltec Moto

1 Remove the front wheel
2 Remove the brake calipers. I used zip ties to hang them from the radiator hose.
3 Remove the fender
4 Loosen the top triple clamp bolts and loosen the fork caps
5 loosen the remaining triple clamp bolts and slide out the fork legs
6 Unscrew fork caps from the tubes, use spring compressor to remove caps from cartridge rod
7 remove spacers, springs, and oil from tubes
8 using 8 mm hex wrench with 4" reach and a cartridge wrench remove cartridges. NOTE: my MX based cartridge wrench was too short, I had to improvise a way to hold it.
9 inspect and clean internal fork tube volume (I used brake cleaner)
10 install new cartridges into tubes. NOTE: My cartridge wrench did not fit new units and I could not fully tighten the bottom bolt until fully assembled. Mine did seem not leak snugged up while setting level.
11 Set oil level (I used a Motion Pro oil level tool) Final level TBD. NOTE: make sure to actuate the cartridge shaft several times while filling the oil, do this until the level stops dropping to insure that the cartridge is full of oil.
12 assemble spacer spring pre load spacer and cap as pictured in Nicks project thread. Using a threaded tool to pull up on cartridge shaft use a 19 mm open wrench to lock the preload spacer into position and attach the cap. NOTE: You must use the o-rings from old caps, use care when removing/reinstalling them.
13 Reassemble and ride. Make sure to set the sag and make a note of initial settings. Note each adjustment you make so you can return as necessary-ENJOY

Reactions: phm14 and v2Bob

·
Registered
734 Posts
Hey im waiting for mine bike needs to be ready , I go in for hip surgery on Tuesday ,man I need a bike ride

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nick wouldn't sell it in mass without having a test unit. He has had snow and could not ride. I do know he had a little concern about letting the general public do the install. A few specialized tools do make it easier.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Taking the adjuster tool with you when you rode...and never felt any real need to adjust anything, really shows the merit of this mod. After you adjust it a bit...it should be even better. Nice report.

Reactions: Brian-2

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Nice job Brian, and nice write up. Make sure to get a good sag adjustment on both the front and rear before you doing anything to the other "black majic" adjustors! :) That was super quick to get the parts one day and get them installed and rideable the next, especially in the "colder" weather that we had today.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice job Brian, and nice write up. Make sure to get a good sag adjustment on both the front and rear before you doing anything to the other "black majic" adjustors! :) That was super quick to get the parts one day and get them installed and rideable the next, especially in the "colder" weather that we had today.
Thanks Vern, I've had the forks apart before, it ain't that there rocket science ya know. Besides I was a little excited to give it a try.....You can tell that because I usually don't ride under 40 degrees.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Thanks Vern, I've had the forks apart before, it ain't that there rocket science ya know. Besides I was a little excited to give it a try.....You can tell that because I usually don't ride under 40 degrees.
I understand completely..........I don't even go outside if it's under 40 degrees...........unless I have to.

On a side note............I had a pretty awesome time at Deals Gap this past Sunday.......very little traffic, and no revenuers. A fun time was had by all! :cool:

·
Registered
734 Posts
I understand completely..........I don't even go outside if it's under 40 degrees...........unless I have to.

On a side note............I had a pretty awesome time at Deals Gap this past Sunday.......very little traffic, and no revenuers. A fun time was had by all! :cool:
Hay were dying to get to 40 its been a long time , current neg 35 to 50 below wind chill warning

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Updated post 1 with a video of forks in action....last few seconds include gravel road:evil6:

Sorry for the delay, my wife had a flat tire last night 40 miles from home. I had to put on my cape:angel9:

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Hay were dying to get to 40 its been a long time , current neg 35 to 50 below wind chill warning
As they say down here in the south......"I don't feel sorry for ya, you had all summer to move". :cool:

Reactions: Brian-2

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I hope you had a nice shoulder. ;)

Thanks for the video, and I'm looking forward to your installation report.

I'm not an expert, but wonder if the amount of travel you were often using indicates needing more spring load and/or stiffer springs? You said you hadn't set the sag yet, will be curious to hear what measurements you get for that.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I was a bit surprised at the travel too. It did not feel "used up", even when I dropped the wheel to see how it felt.
In fact the band still shows 3/4" from the bottom of the leg, I need to look at Nicks photos to see where bottom actually is.
I will have my wife help measure the sag #s, it will not be until this weekend.

EDIT: Nicks photo shows bottom out is about 1/2", so it looks like I didn't use all of the travel.....was set up too stiff for that loop :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
FYI

I updated post 3 with the basic steps for install

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Now that's just mean.....was a great weekend to ride~

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, I finally got caught up enough to do a bit of prep so I can ride today.

Out of the box, no adjustments at all (one ride, 50mi of break in) the sag was 36.5mm.
I am heading out for some much rougher roads today, I am starting out at +2 on compression and rebound....I will update later

1 - 20 of 29 Posts