Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So before the flash was discontinued, I was going to purchase the upgrade re flash for the M4 exhaust. I currently just have the base flash from Stoltec. After thinking about it, I don't know what exhaust I want for sure and didn't want to be limited to the M4 in case I go the full exhaust route. So what are my options so that I can retain the Stoltec flash characteristics while compensating for an after market exhaust. Will using a piggy back controller like the power commander or Ejk affect the flash from stoltec? Also, if I download a map for x exhaust online to the power commander, will having the stoltec flash screw with the tuning of the map for the power commander since it thinks the ecu is stock? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Yoy will be ok. I use Nick's flash with my EJK and it work just fine. PCV will be ok too.
+1 I have the Stoltec flash with upgraded base fuel map plus the EJK controller, still messing around with final settings after disconnecting O2 for good but overall I am happy with it.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Pretty sure this is the route I'll be going with. I got pricing to add fuel to the Stoltec flash and I was a little shocked.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I won't lie, the price difference played a part too. I didn't want to be locked into an M4 with a $260 flash upgrade (But if you've read the thread, you know this isn't Nicks fault and he can't re flash for 160 if he's losing money each time). But for that price, I can add a fuel controller and pick any exhaust I want and tune for it.

I guess my next question is power commander vs ejk. What are the differences other than ejk is a little cheaper? Do they come with a wideband to tune with and if they do do I need to add another bung to the exhaust? Does the ejk have maps readily available like the pc?

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Yeah I won't lie, the price difference played a part too. I didn't want to be locked into an M4 with a $260 flash upgrade (But if you've read the thread, you know this isn't Nicks fault and he can't re flash for 160 if he's losing money each time). But for that price, I can add a fuel controller and pick any exhaust I want and tune for it.

I guess my next question is power commander vs ejk. What are the differences other than ejk is a little cheaper? Do they come with a wideband to tune with and if they do do I need to add another bung to the exhaust? Does the ejk have maps readily available like the pc?
I do start to have tune for few different exhaust set-up. The EJK work different than the PCV. Much easier and cheaper and does the same job (even better IMO) What I like the most about it... I can change tune on the side of the road, no PC needed. In few second and can lean it out and get better MPG or tune it quick if I install the DBK. I've been working with them to get a controller to tune close loop. That will be a bit more expensive but they are working on it. I personally like the actual controller and don't see any reason to update mine.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The ejk does seem attractive, the one I found was $250 on eBay which isn't bad. However I found my Pc5 on motomummy for 260 so it's not really cheaper. And the Pc5 has the option to plug in any generic toggle switch to switch between 2 maps that you might load. In my case I just got my Akro carbon and pc5 in the mail today and I'm going to load a map for with the db killer and one without. It's all preference, the only reason I got another pc5 and not a bazaaz or something is that I had a pc3 on my r6 and loved it.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
The ejk does seem attractive, the one I found was $250 on eBay which isn't bad. However I found my Pc5 on motomummy for 260 so it's not really cheaper. And the Pc5 has the option to plug in any generic toggle switch to switch between 2 maps that you might load. In my case I just got my Akro carbon and pc5 in the mail today and I'm going to load a map for with the db killer and one without. It's all preference, the only reason I got another pc5 and not a bazaaz or something is that I had a pc3 on my r6 and loved it.
$225 shipped...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Serison, Marthy is a supporting vendor and I would personally rather order from him than ebay or motomummy that won't provide any support during installation or tuning.

Marthy, what's the difference between install of the ejk and pc? Also, what exhaust maps do you have for the ejk? Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
I went with flashtunes bench flash . do it yourself and you can drop any power commander fuel map onto your stock ecu eliminating the need for a piggy back . I just flashed mine today with flashtunes base unrestricted program and a generic map and holly cow the bike already came alive . cant wait to get it dynode with a real map

·
Registered
116 Posts
Not trying to take business from Marthy at all. Read his build and even looked into his exhaust. It's just what I was partial to, if I had known of the ejk before I ordered my PC I might have considered it. Good look on your build man.

·
Registered
201 Posts
does it make a difference if you got a fueling map done as well? i have the stoltec throttle flash as well as the stock exhaust map. when/if i get a new exhaust i would probably do ejk, but would that interfere with the flashed fuel mapping?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
does it make a difference if you got a fueling map done as well? i have the stoltec throttle flash as well as the stock exhaust map. when/if i get a new exhaust i would probably do ejk, but would that interfere with the flashed fuel mapping?
I believe it would. Say the flash adds 10% fuel in at a given rpm, and the power commander map also adds 10% fuel at a given rpm, the bike will see a 20% bump in fuel at that rpm. So a custom tune for your bike may be the route you need to go. I'm sure Marthy or someone else could verify that though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts