Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2017 FZ09
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got it back this morning. Was stolen yesterday evening from UCSC. Someone reported this morning at Apt complex near western and hwy 1. Key lock on ignition and gas tank was drilled out. Some scratches and broken lights. Overall pretty good considering. Just glad to have it back.
UCSC PD said two other Yamahas R1 & R6 were stolen yesterday and wrecked on the hiking trails at upper end of campus. reported 30 min before I made my call. Crazy
I’ll search the forums for advice on locks ... hindsight is 20/20

·
Registered
36 Posts
Glad you got it back! That's the worst feeling to have something like that stolen.

On a lighter note, were there banana slug tracks leading to the bike location? ;)

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
515 Posts
Got it back this morning. Was stolen yesterday evening from UCSC. Someone reported this morning at Apt complex near western and hwy 1. Key lock on ignition and gas tank was drilled out. Some scratches and broken lights. Overall pretty good considering. Just glad to have it back.
UCSC PD said two other Yamahas R1 & R6 were stolen yesterday and wrecked on the hiking trails at upper end of campus. reported 30 min before I made my call. Crazy
Did you have the steering locked? May never know but wondering if they drilled out the ignition lock during the theft, or if they possibly rolled it away to a more private area to do the drill work.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
1,662 Posts
I don’t know if motorcycle steering locks have gotten any better in the last few decades, but they sure look exactly like they did in the 1980’s. And I had a bike nearly stolen back then, when they just jammed a big honkin’ screwdriver into the key hole and turned it with a pair of vise grips, which just ripped all the guts right out of the key switch. After that, you could just turn the mechanism at the bottom of the cylinder with any tool you want.

In other words, the only person who can’t unlock the steering and start the bike without a key is... you.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
515 Posts
I don’t know if motorcycle steering locks have gotten any better in the last few decades, but they sure look exactly like they did in the 1980’s. And I had a bike nearly stolen back then, when they just jammed a big honkin’ screwdriver into the key hole and turned it with a pair of vise grips, which just ripped all the guts right out of the key switch. After that, you could just turn the mechanism at the bottom of the cylinder with any tool you want.

In other words, the only person who can’t unlock the steering and start the bike without a key is... you.
100% agree with you - any security measure can be overcome by a appropriately motivated thief. Its always just a game of making inconvenient enough so that the thief looks for an easier target. From the short description it sounds like a small group of people looking for 'joy rides' rather than a pro looking to make a profit.

Reactions: Moto26

·
Registered
2017 FZ09
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got a disk lock for it which should help prevent the easy getaway. Considering getting an alarm system. Or might just have to sell until I move out of the campus and have a more secure please to park.

·
Registered
2017 Hi-Viz and Matte Grey MT-09
316 Posts
First they tried the R1, but it was too big. Then they tried the R6, but it was too small. Then they tried the MT-09, and it was just right. :rolleyes:

Does sound really sound like they were shopping more than they were trying to make some money. Which, really, is somehow even worse.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Get yourself a good quality alarm with a remote paging system. A disc lock is a weak safety system, and will most likely only deter a casual thief. More serious individuals will just pick it up and toss it into the back of a van or truck—with the disc lock still on, this happened to me with my R6. After that theft I got smart and invested in some strong Kryptonite chains and chained them through a ground anchor and around an immovable, uncuttable object at my condo. Yes, even the strongest chains/locks can still be cut or frozen, but in combination with a nice loud Scorpio alarm, it kept my 09 secure. Now I own a home and she sleeps securely in my garage. Glad you got it back at least, consider investing in some strong chains and good locks if you have a nice solid place on campus to chain it to

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Here's a start. Best Motorcycle Security Thread Ever!

Reactions: jacks974

·
Registered
166 Posts
Jacks - It's very easy to forget you've got a disk lock on, put it in gear and make a fool of yourself. And maybe even hurt your bike or yourself.

The few times I use a disk lock I run the front tire up to a curb or wall or something so I have to back the bike up before I try to drive off.

Glad you got the bike back. Agree with the others about the pond scum nature of thieves. Others opinions may vary.

I don't think I'd mind a bit if I woke up tomorrow and they'd all vanished from the face of the earth.

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
385 Posts
Once upon a time in a land far far away I may have heard of someone hooking wires from a disposable camera flash capacitor to each grip that was connected to a switch and charged by the battery. As the story goes no one took the bike after the first attempt at grabbing the handle bars... this can also be a fun prank when you knock on someone's door. Just wait for them to grab the knob before you fire away. Glad you got your bike back in mostly one piece

·
Registered
2017 FZ09
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Once upon a time in a land far far away I may have heard of someone hooking wires from a disposable camera flash capacitor to each grip that was connected to a switch and charged by the battery. As the story goes no one took the bike after the first attempt at grabbing the handle bars... this can also be a fun prank when you knock on someone's door. Just wait for them to grab the knob before you fire away. Glad you got your bike back in mostly one piece
Makes me think of the movie home alone. Very funny idea. Thanks

·
Registered
216 Posts
Jacks - It's very easy to forget you've got a disk lock on, put it in gear and make a fool of yourself. And maybe even hurt your bike or yourself.
I have seen folks attach a sort of lanyard from the lock up to the handlebars as a reminder.
I've never used one of these things, but sounds like a good idea.

I also think instead of a rotor lock, there's also a brake lever lock/clamp you could get as well.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts