Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Stock tires are terrible after 8k miles...and in the rain..and in bad roads(pics).

10K views 39 replies 29 participants last post by  uwbse09 
#1 ·
I was so angry, but that's what happens to me for putting so much value into material possessions. I lowsided on Saturday after work.

I'm a very precautious and better than average rider. I was in a one way street in downtown Los Angeles, I was in the far left lane, some van in the lane next to me decides to make a sudden left turn, but like I said I'm very precautions so I had time to appropriately react. I started breaking smooth and the bike dun fell right under me. Was going maybe 40mph. So I reacted well but I wasn't prepared well
A lot of expensive damage, rear break bracket broke. 90$. Also tire was crooked as heck. My light was dangling one of the screws broke and some of the plastic as well.

I am disgusted by this bike now, I can't even look it at it. My poor baby. Was so shiny and new. The cosmetic damage isn't too bad tho. Its been about 15k miles since my last low side. So sad.

See less See more
#3 ·
i can't imagine much tread was left on your tires after 8k miles - the stockers really shouldn't be stretched that far in my opinion - i'd even argue most aftermarket tires shouldn't either but it really depends on your riding style. I replaced mine at 4,500 and that's long compared to some guys who's tires only lasted 3k or less.

I don't mean to sound like a dick but do you know how to check the tire wear beads on both the front and rears? Was there sufficient wear left to be riding on them - particularly in conditions that aren't ideal? (the stockers weren't good in the rain new and didnt get any better when they started to wear for me).

Hope you're ok from your accident, the good news is you seemed to have walked away - some aren't that lucky.

#4 · (Edited)
that sux.

No other way to put it.

The stock Bridgestone S20 tires that came on my bike had all the wet weather grip of a bowling ball.

For most bikes, the stock tires are only OK at best. Supersports bikes often come with good tires but the FZ09 did not, at least the Bridgestone that came on mine weren't.

As for you being cautious and such, from your description, I think you could benefit from a lot of practice doing quick stops as you didn't do that one correctly.

I wasn't there but my best guess is you did not properly judge the amount of traction available (wet road, probably cold tires, and a tire that was only so so traction-wise)

Then you applied too much brake to the front and locked up the front wheel. You might possibly have applied the brake too quickly (grabbing the front brake lever) but I am taking your work for it that you have at least that amount of knowledge and skill to never grab the front brake lever.

You should practice quick stops in a nice dry parking lot until you have stopped the bike as quickly as you can from 15-20 mph in second gear, downshifting to 1st before stopping. Be sure to use both brakes, neither wheel locking up.

Keep practicing until you can stop in the shortest distance you think you can do consistently.

Then speed up and repeat at 25 mph and 30 mph in 2nd gear, 35, 40 mph in 3rd gear, 45 and 50 mph in 4th gear, remeber to donwsift to 1st gear before the wheels stop rolling in every quick stop.

Then once you have that down at the empty parking lot, you should practice quick stops every time you ride.

It sux to crash but it sux even worse if you don't honestly evaluate the crash and, whether the crash was your fault or not, figure out what you could have done better to avoid or minimize the crash as we can all always gain more skills. Then go get that skill so you don't make the same mistake the next time you need it.

Reactions: Camp49 and redeye
#6 ·
glad you ain't dead!

I replaced the stock tires at 4k, (I think) because they just .... sucked.

Pilot road 3's got 2k until an unavoidable incident xmas day, Now I'm running Pilot Road 4s. They stick like stink! in dry, in wet, on dirty roads... Awesome tires.

8k was Waaay too long on the stock tires, mine were damn near done at 4k, and I'm really easy on tires.

#7 ·
I started breaking smooth and the bike dun fell right under me. Was going maybe 40mph. So I reacted well but I wasn't prepared well
That isn't a low side dude...that's a fug-up. Next time use the BRAKES instead of the breaks...and the bike won't "dun fell down" anymore.

#8 ·
I'm glad you're okay and all, but really expecting to be able to squeeze 8k miles out of anything sport of mid-to-high-end sport touring tires tells me you haven't done enough research about tires or bikes in general here. The stock tires (depending on which ones you got) are either toast by 4-5k miles (in the case of the Bridgestone S20Rs) or junk from the very start (in the case of the Dunlop Sportmax D214s). If you expect to be able to squeeze more than 5k miles out of a set of tires OR behave well in the wet you need to make the switch to Sport Touring tires ASAP. A bit too late for this piece of advice, but if you knew much of anything about sportbike tires you would have been able to avoid this long ago.

#9 · (Edited)
If they were the Dunlops, you deserve a congratulations and a medal for not going down much sooner. I only get 3500 out of a rear, and 6000 out of a front decent OEM sport tire. Wheelies chew up my rears, with the exception of the Pilot Road 4's, which I am still working on after 5,000 miles. All of that stuff can easily be replaced, but that slight sting will take some time.

#10 ·
Glad your're all good, learn what ya can and move forward. I just did some e-stops in a parking lot last night - and feeling how easy that front wheel locks when the suspension has no more travel is a little unsettling. Made a mohawk out of my seat.

The good thing is, a lot of bikes/cars/projects seem to look better afterwards when starting from a speed bump like this. Aside from new tires we'll be here chearin' you on when the new parts are installed!

#11 ·
I'm pleased you are OK. As others have responded, the stock tires are almost certainly shot at 8K miles. I am probably one of the least aggressive riders among regular posters on this forum, and my stock rear tire (Dunlop D214) was about done at 3K miles. As weaponzero mentioned, sport touring tires are a better choice if you want more service life from motorcycle tires.

My sport touring tires are Pirelli Angel GTs, but the others mentioned previously in this thread (Pilot Road 3, Pilot Road 4) are excellent choices. Check out the tire reviews in this part (FZ-09 Wheels & Tires) of the forum prior to your thread. Bottom line... you walked away from a crash, and that's great news. Learn, repair, improve, enjoy!

...and consider installing frame and axle sliders. They aren't very expensive and would likely have prevented at least some of the damage to your FZ-09.

Best wishes!

#12 · (Edited)
Make no mistake about it...the S20s are EXCELLENT tires - depending on the application. If they don't meet your needs in the cold, wet, or longevity, you'll need different tires. These are supersport tires, pure and simple and should be treated as such. That said, I've used these on the track in the rain. Personally, I'd happily take the S20's in the rain over my current Q3's. My only gripe with the S20 is with the rear. A harder center compound would go a long way for better wear. Hence, I only clocked 2,400 miles on the stockers.

If you're looking for excellent all around tires (hot, cold, wet, dry) and are looking for miles, pick up the Angel GT or Pilot Road 4. I personally prefer the Michelin (find the Angels to be a bit less communicative), but everyone has their preferences.

#13 ·
I looked at the Angel GT and PR4 back then and the GT were cheaper by a good chunk. Since I never tried anyone of them, I went with the Angel GT. Great street tire and even did one track day with them... in the rain. Track never really died out to be honest. Tire perform well and the few time that I felt the bike drifting in the corner is was nice and smooth, good feedback. But PR4 has some great review also. Either tire are great I think.

I swap to Q3's for the track day, I was suppose to do a few but things and life got int he way and never went back. Did a lot of commuting on them and they are still on the bike. For a SS tire they pasted way ore than the S20. They are about done now. Rear have some life to it but I like to change them earlier than later... peace of mind. Angel GT take off are going back on for now since I don't plan on doing track days until later on this year.

#16 ·
that damage isn't bad for 40mph. ironically the rain probably helped a little...

i managed to get 8k miles out of the stock dunlops and at that point tread depth was getting pretty shallow. i took it real easy on the brakes when i got caught in the rain.

also, it's possible that you hit some oil/coolant/diesel while you were braking. they're bad enough in the dry, but much worse in the rain. and harder to spot.

what i do in the rain is - try to stay out of the center of the lane (it's where cars and trucks drip the slippery stuff, especially at intersections), and use a bit more back brake and a little less front brake. it's easier to recover from a locked rear than a locked front.

running pilot road 4's now and second what everybody else is saying about them - they're great.

#21 ·
Sorry to hear this, but many factors where working against you here.

1. Tires, performance deterioration rate increases on these after 3k miles.

2. Bad tires in bad weather

3. Because its been so dry here in L.A. for so long, the recent rainstorms have lifted all kinds of dirt, oil and debris on the streets.

4. Because it never rains here in L.A., people do not know how to drive in the wet. In fact, people forget how to drive entirely.

I haven't gone riding since November because of the rain. Not because i'm scared of it, but because its just not enjoyable for me.

Its going to take at least a month of good California weather before the streets get cleaned up.

best of luck getting your bike sorted it out, if you need help replacing parts or anything hit me up. I know my way around these bikes and have plenty of tools.

Btw, what happened to your frame slider?

Reactions: galinbro
#25 ·
The code in itself shows that they are not the same as the regular S20's. What the difference is, I don't know, don't really care and nobody outside of Yamaha/Bridgestone probably knows. I would argue that they are a single compound because the center wears so fast, even with track and spirited street riding wearing down the sides, much like the previous single compound tires I have used in the past. When I use multi-compound tires I generally see a better wear pattern (i.e. more even). I may have made too large of an assumption with the single compound thing. For that, I am wrong.

Fine you win the pecker measuring contest. If you are satisfied with the OEM S20's, so be it. I personally hate them and there are much better options out there, including normal S20's which I will gladly report back on as soon as it gets above 40.

#28 ·
I just hit 12k kilometres last Saturday, which is a little over 7k miles. I had to replace my tires at the end of December as the original rubber was worn right down in the center 2" forming a flat profile. I did notice that the rear tire would break loose when down shifting and hard acceleration on even a slightly damp road surface. My new tires are the Micheline 2CT's and so far they feel more confidence inspiring than my original tires ever did.

#30 ·
WOW! JUST ran across this, GLAD you're OK...NOW that we've gotten that out of the way, we ALL know that bikes do NOT just fall from under us. Whatever happened is a direct reflection of something that YOU DID or DID NOT do. The machine will ONLY perform as well as the person that is taking care of it. I check tire pressure and wear before, during and after EACH ride. Depending on YOUR riding style tires can last anywhere from 2500 miles or LESS OR up to 3500 miles, if you ride often and aggressive I HIGHLY doubt that you'll get 4k or more out of a set of tires. I suggest that you review sport bike forums as well to see what tires they're running depending on their riding style as well. I'm NOT bashing or beating up on you. I'm sorry that you went down but GLAD that you got back up!
CHEERS!
-Rich

#32 ·
My stock tires sucked too. I low sided it on the way home with the new bike. I was waiting at a stop light and made a left turn. The sonofabitch just slid like it was on ice at 15 mph. Weekend racers here tell me it was because the tires were cold. As if you can't do anything other than a straight line until the tires are warmed up. This being my 15th or so new bike, and this never happened before, I still remain highly skeptical.

However they may be some other flaws. I belong to at least 5 motorcycle brand specific message boards and not one has had the number of people lowside their bikes as the FZ-09.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.