Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only one who likes the aggressive stock throttle response? I'm reading all the time about throttle tamers and throttle fixes but prefer the aggressive response of the stock throttle. Anyone else?

·
Registered
520 Posts
It's a performance issue... I guess it can be subjective but it is an issue.. It's not the aggression that people dislike, it's the tip in... The initial bite of the throttle that lurches the bike... Its less performance entering and rolling through turns.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
As I stated way, way back in the very beginnings of this forum, the throttle is liveable but you must learn to be very smooth if you aren't. Is it ideal......NO, liveable...yes. After riding mine for some time with nothing done to the throttle or having the ECU flashed, I was pretty accustomed to it and made it work for me. I did have the ECU reflashed though when I got the Arrow Exhaust and wanted the fuel mapping for it. I'm glad I had the ECU flash done and it just makes the bike easier to ride without having to be "perfect" with the controls.

Part of it probably depends on what type of riding you do on the bike also. I spend a lot of time in some very tight twisty stuff and it required a LOT of concentration to roll back into the throttle smoothly. If a lot of my riding was done on more open roads and maybe long sweepers, it wouldn't have been as much of a "must do" thing.

·
Registered
159 Posts
For me, on open roads, around town, or even in canyons with more wide open sweeping turns - the stock throttle response was fine. Sure I had to be smooth with it, but it was fine.

Where it was not good at all was on tighter, more technical canyons with tons of tight switchbacks or out on the track with lots of tight turns. In that scenario, when you have to get all of the way off the gas, and then roll back on, the jerkiness caused by the engine breaking and initial throttle snatch makes it harder to really get back on the gas hard out of the corner - while riding smooth to instill confidence.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Am I the only one who likes the aggressive stock throttle response? I'm reading all the time about throttle tamers and throttle fixes but prefer the aggressive response of the stock throttle. Anyone else?
As Nick's ECU flash offering came to a close, I gave quite a bit of thought to making a change. Although there are other options to alter the throttle response, this was the one I considered most, and ultimately decided to leave it stock. There is another reason for my decision, better left for some other time (it's not about Nick or his business; he is 100% awesome), but looking back across several months and many miles, admittedly without prior experience (other than brief "demo" rides) on motorcycles with the FZ-09's power, I learned to better control and appreciate the FZ-09.

My comfort level with the FZ-09, and all of its drive modes, required time and miles. Don't want to suggest "comfort" equals "expert" and I have a long way to go before contemplating such a claim that I would probably not make anyway, but 2,500 miles rolled onto my FZ-09's odometer before I was fully comfortable with the throttle response in all drive modes, and in any riding condition such as adverse weather. Could the throttle response be better? I respect the volume of forum members' opinions indicating "yes" but can honestly write having no second thoughts about my choice.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
The aggressive response didn't bother me so much, but its certainty easier to ride with Nicks flash....I dont have to worry about upsetting the suspension in a corner anymore....

Reactions: triplethreat

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Its all about predictability, for those of us who are used to the mechanical throttle (cable straight to throttle body), we want the rear wheel to be in sync with the wrist. This is most critical when your leaned over and trying to shift weight from the front to the back or visa versa with precision.

Having a throttle out of sync with the rear wheel and trying to adapt to it adds more variables you have to think about when riding. If your riding fast, you want to focus your attention on the road, obstacles, body position and weight transfer. Throttle control is critical and is easier to put into muscle memory when its smooth and in sync with the rear wheel.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I love my stock setup. I absolutely love the explosive power right off idle without having to twist the wrist very much.

I have ridden a couple of FZ-09's with full exhaust and the reflash done. I was a little disappointed at the loss of some bottom end snap. Most likely these setups will pull harder in the upper mid to top end than my stock one but I am not much of a high rev guy. I have never hit the rev limiter and usually shift well before 8 or 9 grand.

I would rather deal with the snatchy throttle than tame down the bottom end snap.

Since I am happy as a clam with my stock setup, why would I want to spend $1200 to $1500 for a full exhaust and reflash. But if I did I would have to also add a quick turn throttle.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Its all about predictability, for those of us who are used to the mechanical throttle (cable straight to throttle body), we want the rear wheel to be in sync with the wrist. This is most critical when your leaned over and trying to shift weight from the front to the back or visa versa with precision.

Having a throttle out of sync with the rear wheel and trying to adapt to it adds more variables you have to think about when riding. If your riding fast, you want to focus your attention on the road, obstacles, body position and weight transfer. Throttle control is critical and is easier to put into muscle memory when its smooth and in sync with the rear wheel.
Maybe its just me, or my race-car history, but ive found the stock throttle response to be bang on. Ive never felt a disconnect or delay between rear wheel response and wrist action. Actually the opposite, I find I can be more precise than I could with the dbc. It allows for precision fueling, which in turn actually forces you to keep a part of your attention on the throttle position midcorner and that prevents complacency in the turns. For anyone in the know, complacency or being too comfortable and relaxed in the turns is the fastest way to the gravel pit.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just installed a G2 throttle tube and it rides the way it should have from the factory. Out here there are a lot of roads that CalTrans seems to look past and they are filled with potholes, tar snakes, tree roots, and various animals who have crossed over to the other side. The G2 has made the bike so much more manageable and has made me fall in love with riding the bike as opposed to ALWAYS thinking about the twitchy throttle.

It didn't solve the issue 100% but I'd say it's at 90% now. For 70 dollars, I am so pleased. It's also a plus that the full power is all there, just not in an on/off fashion now. Just wanted to throw out a low cost solution if ya haven't looked into it!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I just installed a G2 throttle tube and it rides the way it should have from the factory. Out here there are a lot of roads that CalTrans seems to look past and they are filled with potholes, tar snakes, tree roots, and various animals who have crossed over to the other side. The G2 has made the bike so much more manageable and has made me fall in love with riding the bike as opposed to ALWAYS thinking about the twitchy throttle.

It didn't solve the issue 100% but I'd say it's at 90% now. For 70 dollars, I am so pleased. It's also a plus that the full power is all there, just not in an on/off fashion now. Just wanted to throw out a low cost solution if ya haven't looked into it!
Great bang for the buck mod!

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have no issue at all with it, was wondering the same thing, also have no issues with the suspension other than the pogo effect when hitting hard bumps but im at 165lbs too so I could see 200 plus having problems....

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Hawkerjet wrote:
I have never hit the rev limiter and usually shift well before 8 or 9 grand.
You are cheating yourself out of Soooo much fun by having never done this! Seriously, you need to experience it!

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I have no issue at all with it, was wondering the same thing, also have no issues with the suspension other than the pogo effect when hitting hard bumps but im at 165lbs too so I could see 200 plus having problems....
You don't realize how bad it is until you fix it. Then you will like WOW! :)

80% of the issues are from the rear shock. Plenty of option out there for different budget.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Hawkerjet wrote:

You are cheating yourself out of Soooo much fun by having never done this! Seriously, you need to experience it!
I have had it up to 10K+ a few times and yep it do pull strong. But it has so much bottom and mid range power that I don't feel the need to buzz it.

I tend to keep my bikes a long time so I go easy on the motor.

·
Registered
108 Posts
IMO a little less abrupt roll on in A and STD wouldn't be a bad thing. I'm mostly riding in A at the moment precisely to try and make myself learn to be smoother. To me it's a bit like learning to fly on an aircraft that will misbehave if you're sloppy on the controls.

95% of the time no problem. I find the main issues with mostly urban riding on bad roads with stock suspension is jarring leading to inadvertent movement of your wrist, which can in turn tighten the sphincter. Will be interesting to see how things are after I change fork springs / oil and the rear shock [got some Ohlins springs and a basic Ohlins shock on order].

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
One positive benefit to the abrupt and snatchy throttle in A and STD is it requires one to learn to be smooth on the on/off throttle transitions, making for a better rider. It still catches me out occasionally, but it's truthfully not that much worse than my R6 was. Would it be more enjoyable without the abruptness of the closed to open throttle response-especially in corners? Yes. Easy to fix or learn to ride with it? Sure. And, for me, it takes away none of the enjoyment of riding this beast. Love it...

1 - 20 of 77 Posts