Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a really hard time finding a 08-10 zx10 shock or a zx6rr shock so looks like next in line is the hayabusa, anyone know if i can swap my stock spring onto it? It will be too stiff with the busa spring installed

·
Registered
654 Posts
sorry cant answer that, my question goes the other way, im a heavier rider, 255 before gear, would the busa shock & spring rate be about right for someone my size?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm having a really hard time finding a 08-10 zx10 shock or a zx6rr shock so looks like next in line is the hayabusa, anyone know if i can swap my stock spring onto it? It will be too stiff with the busa spring installed
hi motoracer58 , for sure it will be too stiff! put a racetech spring on, is not to expensive or order one from stoltec. i put a racetech on mine , and works perfectly!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have the Busa shock installed on my FZ and it works well with the spring for a fat dude like me. I'm 6'-0" and 225, and then add gear, and I am getting in the correct weight range for the Busa Shock. I ride the bike everyday commuting on the San Diego freeway about 100 miles round trip and it is stiff enough to corner well and soft enough to absorb about 95% of the freeway imperfections and dips and ruts. I also ride two up with a pretty curvy girl (think Harley Davidson) and the shock does well.

The Busa is a heavy bike so the valving and spring is set up stiffer for that extra weight of the bike (compared to a GSXR-6 shock). The spring rates for the Busa and other bikes are on a chart that I got off of a thread on this website and it was stiffer than the FZ spring rate. The shock is the correct length and the only mod needed is to drill out the clevis to the correct diameter hole for the FZ bolt.

I don't know if the FZ spring would swap onto the Busa shock body because I didn't compare the inside diameters when I installed my shock. That would be the only thing that may make the FZ spring not fit over the Busa shock body.

Reactions: Cecil and River

·
Registered
63 Posts
That was very informative. Thank you. I just gotta find out if that damn fz spring will fit. I can get the busa shock for $60. I measured my fz spring and the spring inside diameter is 2 inches. So what is the outside diameter of the busa shock the spring slips over?

·
Registered
877 Posts
I tried the Hayabusa shock.

Even if spring was within parameters, the dampening is too hard.

Busa weighs almost 150Lbs more than a FZ 09.

·
Registered
654 Posts
thank you upsidedown, I have about 30lbs on you so it sounds like this is my low cost fix

1 - 9 of 9 Posts