Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what the pound rating is on the stock rear shock spring?

Can't find anything published.

Anyone actually measure it?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Ask and you shall receive. 570.77 LB/inch. My PENSKE 8983 has a 600 LB/inch spring. Yeah Nick from Stoltec recommended this spring rate. He said I could go 650 if wanted but it might ride harsher than I like. I found this in my Yamaha PDF shop manual under chassis specs. Page 2-7. PM me if you need this shop manual.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Travis. You da man.

My ZX6rr shock is running the stock spring, 585 lbs. Even with the high and low speed clickers near full soft and the rebound set at 20 out of 24 for soft, this thing is killing me. The bike handles really nice but at speeds above 50 mph when you hit a bump it about breaks my back.

I had it overhauled and re valved. Wondering if the valving and shim stack is more aggressive than the original?

So I am going to install the stock spring and see if I can remedy this harshness. If that does not fix it I may have to opt for a Penske.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Hawkerjet, you had Traxxion rebuild your shock? Let them know you are having trouble getting it right for you.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks Travis. You da man.

My ZX6rr shock is running the stock spring, 585 lbs. Even with the high and low speed clickers near full soft and the rebound set at 20 out of 24 for soft, this thing is killing me. The bike handles really nice but at speeds above 50 mph when you hit a bump it about breaks my back.

I had it overhauled and re valved. Wondering if the valving and shim stack is more aggressive than the original?

So I am going to install the stock spring and see if I can remedy this harshness. If that does not fix it I may have to opt for a Penske.
Definitely sounds like high speed damping is too harsh, rather than the spring's fault.

Sent via Tapatalk.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Definitely sounds like high speed damping is too harsh, rather than the spring's fault.

Sent via Tapatalk.
Im kinda thinking that may be the case. But a spring swap is not too big a deal and costs nothing.

Already got the spring off the stocker. Got a couiple of weeks to accomplish the swap as I just sent off my seat to Seth Laam for him to work his magic. And I do mean magic!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Im kinda thinking that may be the case. But a spring swap is not too big a deal and costs nothing.

Already got the spring off the stocker. Got a couiple of weeks to accomplish the swap as I just sent off my seat to Seth Laam for him to work his magic. And I do mean magic!
Hey man!

Would you mind documenting the following of the stock spring:

Overall Length (Uncompressed)
End 1 Diameter (inner and outer)
End 2 Diameter (inner and outer)

I am uncertain that the stocker will fit on the ZX shock body; this information would help to confirm/deny.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey man!

Would you mind documenting the following of the stock spring:

Overall Length (Uncompressed)
End 1 Diameter (inner and outer)
End 2 Diameter (inner and outer)

I am uncertain that the stocker will fit on the ZX shock body; this information would help to confirm/deny.

Thank you!
Well crap. Assumption is the mother of all screw ups. I assumed the stocker would fit. Just measured it against the Kawi spring. Stocker has a smaller inner diameter and will not fit.

Momma told me there would be days like this.

Thanks Scott. You saved me the trouble of removing the shock and spring.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts