Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
i would dremel out around the weld a bit....have read just takes a small amount of force to break the bolt loose...I call BULL NUTS!!!!!! I butchered mine getting it out....ended up having to drill it out and re-tap it....

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Read up that akro Tak welded it Guessing the bold the holds it in ?
Can you show us where you read that? I have never heard of tak welding a baffle in from the factory. As stated above....all that holds the baffle in is a small 6mm bolt on the backside of the can. I don't suggest you try and remove the baffle unless you make a tool to do the job. Otherwise the baffle gets ruined from vice grip marks.

Reactions: FZ-G

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
The bolt that holds the baffle in has been tack welded on later models due to people removing the baffle...
Are you referring to brand new Yamaha's that are sold with the Akra already installed? If so...that's a new one on me.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Are you referring to brand new Yamaha's that are sold with the Akra already installed? If so...that's a new one on me.
on the early 2014 fz-09 models the bolt wasn't tacked.....later production runs are tacked....so if you buy a new akra ti the chances of it being tacked are pretty good....I read where people was able to just break the tack weld with force....I used snap on allen sockets and it just rounded the head so I would suggest taking a dremel to the weld to weaken it...

·
Registered
4 Posts
No its not welded at all.

After you remove the bolt that got the rubber plug cover out then you need to use a long pole puke the buffer out from the inside. Be careful and try to hit in the buffer only. I screwed mine as I thought it welded. :cool:

·
Registered
342 Posts
No its not welded at all.

After you remove the bolt that got the rubber plug cover out then you need to use a long pole puke the buffer out from the inside. Be careful and try to hit in the buffer only. I screwed mine as I thought it welded. :cool:
YOU ARE CORECT.....mine came welded from the factory I guess just to piss me off.....DAM YOU AKRA!!!!! A BIG SMH!!!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'll be making a video on me removing it. Hopefully can help others. I have yet seen a video on it
Please post the link when you do.

I'm interested to see this process as I'm torn between the carbon or the Ti. Maybe you can do a before and after audio clip? :p

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Please post the link when you do.

I'm interested to see this process as I'm torn between the carbon or the Ti. Maybe you can do a before and after audio clip? :p
Yes I'll post it up. With me doing the removal. Anything speical you would like when I do audio clips ? Drive by? Followed in car with a fly by ?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yes I'll post it up. With me doing the removal. Anything speical you would like when I do audio clips ? Drive by? Followed in car with a fly by ?
Yeah, all good ideas to do.

Of the other videos I've seen the initial before/after audio is done so the camera doesn't move. (i.e. setup camera, record stock audio. swap the exhaust and record audio again without moving the camera).

One request if possible is to stand pretty far away. While having someone slightly revving on and off the same (blippin the throttle), walk towards the bike. This would help give an idea of loudness/distance. Since all cameras record audio differently.

·
Registered
36 Posts
still able to remove db killer in the new akro TI systems that they tak welded?
yes of course you can remove it.
10/10 know this as fact.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'll be making a video on me removing it. Hopefully can help others. I have yet seen a video on it

you hav enot seen a video on it because its common sense...

undo the bolt.

pull baffle out..

:lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts