Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone else has the same problem that i do. I have so much clutch drag (no matter how I adjust it) that it is damn near impossible to move the bike in gear holding the clutch in. Even when hot if I start the bike in first gear it clunks and jumps enough that I better have the brake on. Going from neutral to first gear when running produces the same effect. The clunk is LOUD and I am sure over time it is going to damage the transmission.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
my 09 has a good bit of clutch drag as well (the loud clunk from neutral into first is par for the course), but it's entirely possible that with a misadjusted clutch cable, the clutch isn't releasing completely when you pull the lever in, adding even more drag.

how much clutch lever free play do you have? if it's too much, the clutch won't release completely when you pull the lever in. reduce slack a bit and see if that helps.

fwiw, my last bike - a gsxr750 - behaved more or less the same.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I agree about the adj and also what oil are you using ? wet clutches have to have a MA oil that is made for motorcycles with wet clutches. If your sure the adj is right I would try a different oil I know from experience different oils have an effect on transmission shifting and clutch function. It will say on the bottle if its for use with a wet clutch good luck . RR:cool:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts